It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fighting Sioux" bad..."Fighting Irish" OK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Doesn't the NCAA have anything better to do than to sit around and pass judgment on college mascot names. I wonder how much money is actually wasted on these petty arguments.

NCAA denies UND's appeal over Fighting Sioux nickname, logo
The NCAA on Wednesday denied a University of North Dakota appeal to remove restrictions on the school's Fighting Sioux nickname and mascot.
After granting three previous appeals — Florida State, Utah, Central Michigan — the NCAA stood firm on its original ruling that North Dakota's sports nickname and related imagery create a "hostile or abusive environment."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If they are so worried about having a hostile environment, then why on Earth do we put up with the "Fighting Irish" name? What's more hostile than a bunch of drunken, fighting Irishmen? O! but it's all fine as long as you're not from some "oppressed" minority. I think the poor Irish have been oppressed much longer than the Native Americans. The English were sacking and burning Irish towns long before anyone ever knew there were people in the new world to crush and oppress.

Reminds me of the little struggle that went on a few years ago in Frisco TX. It seems that some were worried about the mascot name "Coons". The Frisco Coons was not a racial slur. Come on! There's a giant picture of a raccoon on the water tower under the name. (Now raccoons to avoid confusion)

We need to start watching out for any term that could possibly be offensive to anyone. Does the Ford Focus make fun of people with poor vision? That's awful! What about Chick Fillet? Sure the name implies that they serve chicken fillet sandwiches, but some women might get offended by the obvious derogatory term "chick".

Watch your back folks, the PC Police are out in force looking for anything that might be offensive to anyone.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Wait! You forgot to mention the Forney Caters!
Also a Texas town as I recall.

You can't name names without naming everyone. It wouldn't be fair.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The president here at FSU, backed by Jeb Bush and his host of attorneys recently flicked the NCAA away like a worrisome gnat...

But I cannot understand the argument that this is purely some "PC" propaganda...

The NCAA is under the strictest of administrations right now than it has ever seen in the past...

The point is - It's about damn time someone did something about this...

The reality is, they didn't do enough research when they selected the schools with culturally offensive names, mascots, etc...They struck at the most obvious, and they were made to look like fools when they realized that our school at FSU not only has the full support of the Seminole tribes, they also designed and created Chief Osceola's costume....Among many other activities related to the school in which they're very active...

Other teams they've targeted in on have very valid concerns...

There's a very large difference between being culturally sensitive and being "PC".....These days, a business (which is what a college/university is) is a potential threat to the community and its attendees/workers if cultural sensitivity is not heavily considered and acted upon…

I firmly believe that they’re going in the right direction with this….

[edit on 9/30/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
What do you guys think of Chief Wahoo, the Cleveland Indians mascot?

My mother HATES that. (We're part Cherokee.) She doesn't mind the Indians name, but Wahoo has got to go, in her opinion.

Fortunately she lives in Detroit...but I live in Ohio and when she comes to visit it inevitably comes up. I always tease her with, "Now why don't you buy your grandson this Cleveland Indians outfit?"

Me, I'm not sure I really care...but I can't help but think, if someone had, say, the Black Boys as a team and their mascot was a black guy looking every bit the idiot Chief Wahoo looks, you'd have Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and whoever else having an absolute hissy fit.

new topics

top topics

join