It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are no birds here

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I did see a buzzard the other day. But, that's it. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks, Loam.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon_alex0327
I have not seen any evidence of this loam.

Raptors can be quite hard to spot when they are not flying, but the other birds know exactly where they are...

[edit on 30-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I live in Cape Coral, Fl, near Ft.Myers. My house is usually "Bird Central" since I have lots of feeders. There are NO birds anywhere in sight. I live on a freshwater lake, so birds are usually everywhere. I drove across town just now to take my husband lunch, and I saw only 3 on a 25 mile drive. It does seem odd. As for the migration thing, do birds migrate from S. Florida this time of year? Really Wierd!!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
The only bird I have seen in days was a buzzard the other day. It's just not me that's noticed it in this town. It's the talk of the town. Bird feeders are left full because they're just not here. It's weird. Other animals seem to be normal at the moment. I checked our horses last night and they were eating and behaving normally. But, normally at this time of year you see thousands upon thousands of birds migrating and they are nowhere to be found.

I have noticed this too.I have over 20 acres, and usually hundreds of birds.
the ONLY time I hear one sing is when we have awful weather.They come to my window and screech in fear.
Earth changes are affecting our wonderful songstresses.
Linda Goodman teaches us that when.if the birds do not sing, there can be no spring.
I have recenly had a snake come into my home, and also a possum, seems to be the lower life forms are trying to escape? whaterver it is.
Great thread, glad you started it..one way up for you..

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Zenlover, I am in the Kansas City area. The moved out of hear the morning of the 28th and were all gone by noon when the cold front went through. As for now, it is a beautiful sunny day and the birds that are out are the ones that I see here all year round. They never leave. A couple of years ago they did this here. That was the year when we had a big snow storm in the middle of October. Mike Thompson of channel 4 said last night that we might see some rain mixed with snow next weekend.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sorry it took so long to get back.

Only a few birds spotted on our walk. Seems like the chirping I heard earlier in the day was non existent when we went out on our walk at about 2pm.

Went for a drive in the country to a local farm. Chance to pet animals etc, rabbits, chicks,horses,cows,sheep and even a llama. They were not showing any signs of odd behaviour, but hardly any normal bird life noted again.

The usual mass of birds here are gone. Something just seems weird.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
im in ontario and lots of birds in my backyard.

im about 10-12 hours from kentucky north.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm in SW Ontario and can report that there are large populations of Canada Geese all along the Lake Huron shoreline. I went for a walk near Goderich yesterday and saw hundreds within a half hour walk. The corn and beans crops are just being harvested and the weather is 20 C+ so the pickings are rich.

This year we've seen large numbers of finches, robins, grackles, orioles, bluejays, cardinals...the list goes on and on. Whenever I've been in the bush, I've seen lots of varieties, including a red breasted blackbird which I've never seen this far east before. I've also seen huge flocks of blackbirds in the trees near my home congregating at dusk.

I'm guessing, but I think what is happening is that the milder weather here is keeping the birds north.

Also, birders at Point Pelee have noticed record numbers of raptors coming north this past spring. Maybe the rodent populations are better here for them than in the south.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well, i'm seeig a few more birds, but nothing like what should be out there. It's quite eerie and strange, but I have been observing some other odd animal behavior over the weekend. For instance, the horses that were eating ok, jumped the fence last night. My mother has had to put her indoor cat outside because it has suddenly decided to start scratching all of the furniture up. This is odd behavior because this cat has lived in the house for 5 years and never done this before, she always uses her scratching post. Other odd behavior to report is that my neighbors dog seems to be hallucinating, but this may be due to a disease of her nervous system as well. The vet is running some tests.

Well, that's all I have to report for now. Will be back when I have more.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Zenlover any more news to report ?

Things seem normal here. Purchased some bird feed this past weekend and refilled our feeder. Now almost empty.

Any more birds around with you?

Simon

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I have noticed nothing different here in Michigan. Lots of birds like normal.
I haven't seen any migrating geese yet though, i'm sure that's coming soon enough.....

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Zenlover, I'm willing to bet that when Ritta pushed north, it scattered some of the flocks around you.

You should be seeing the normal migration patterns now.

May I suggest that you look into taking up birdwatching as a hobby.

It can be fun and gets you in tune with the natural rhythms of nature. All you really need is a field guide (Sibleys or Petersons are the two best) and a good pair of binoculars.

a good pair of binocs can be had for around $100, although the top of the line will run a bit more.

At any rate, if you know the actual species of the birds that you are looking at or looking for, you will be better able to judge if something is amis.

For instance, are you looking for Brewer's blackbirds? Cowbirds? Kingbirds? Grackles?, or maybe there is a flock of starlings near you.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
In regards to the early winter signs..

I work for a Reigonal Airline and there are reports of having to De-ice in Idaho and Colorado this morning all ready.. A little ahead of schdule as many of our stations are still gearing up.

Coho

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
In Michigan birds are normal, but have not seen any migrating geese! Which in my opinion is not normal for this time of year!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
How can you tell the migraters from the ones that hang around all year round?

[edit on 5-10-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This time of year, actually any time now that the cold front has moved in and looks like it's here to stay, we should be seeing TONS of geese flying v shaped south. On a normal day i will see up to 10 flocks, and that's if i am not really paying attention.

That's the only way to tell the migrators from the stay putters.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
No birds is interesting and disturbing, on a bit of curiosity I went to the us gs site and looked up Kentucky, if I read this right (and that is no promise) it seems there has been a bit of activity there recently, here the link if your interested.
neic.usgs.gov...
Let us know if there is anything else that isn't right? My curious is up.

llunasea

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hi everyone! Things certainly aren't back to normal here. I have seen some resident birds, but no flocks!! They must be bypassing this way which is disturbing. The cold front has moved in and still nothing. Things just aren't quite right around here and when I say that i'm not trying to be dramatic. Deer season opened up and the hunters can't find any deer either. Very few doves and squirrels to report as well in the woods.

My brother said his hunting trip Saturday was eerie. He sat in his tree stand for 5 hours and never saw the first sign of life in those woods. Nothing. Is there no food? WHAT is going on?

edited mispelling

[edit on 11-10-2005 by zenlover28]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I live in Morehead Kentucky.
I wish I had noticed this thread earlier.
We have had feeders in the front and back yards for years. Normally we fill both of them up once a day. There hasn't been a bird in our yard for probably two weeks now. Once in while I've heard a songbird, and yesterday there was an enormous roost of blackbirds in the trees down by the creek. We've never seen anything quite like this. Rita/Katrina were not significant enuf when they passed through this way to cause problems, imo.

The doves, cardinals, blackbirds, jays, all the birds know this house by heart. I can't imagine where they've gotten off to. Oh, I did see about 6 turkeys this morning out on the golf course. So that was normal at least.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Zamphir, thank you for sharing!!!!! You are not too far away from me. About 80 miles away! Have you noticed any other disappearances with the local animals?

Originally posted by zamphir66
I live in Morehead Kentucky.
I wish I had noticed this thread earlier.
We have had feeders in the front and back yards for years. Normally we fill both of them up once a day. There hasn't been a bird in our yard for probably two weeks now. Once in while I've heard a songbird, and yesterday there was an enormous roost of blackbirds in the trees down by the creek. We've never seen anything quite like this. Rita/Katrina were not significant enuf when they passed through this way to cause problems, imo.

The doves, cardinals, blackbirds, jays, all the birds know this house by heart. I can't imagine where they've gotten off to. Oh, I did see about 6 turkeys this morning out on the golf course. So that was normal at least.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join