It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are no birds here

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm in South Central Kentucky and all of the birds have disappeared. They're not flocking to migrate, nothing. Is anyone else in this area and have you noticed the disappearance?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
No birds at all? Are there any other wild animals around? How are domesticated animals behavings?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
How long have you noticed this?

I will have a search and see if theres anything on this anywhere

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The only bird I have seen in days was a buzzard the other day. It's just not me that's noticed it in this town. It's the talk of the town. Bird feeders are left full because they're just not here. It's weird. Other animals seem to be normal at the moment. I checked our horses last night and they were eating and behaving normally. But, normally at this time of year you see thousands upon thousands of birds migrating and they are nowhere to be found.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Northern Kentucky here..
After reading this I just looked out my window and saw no birds. Some bread I put out earlier today is still there, usually gone within seconds.Strange.
Only life I saw was a squirrel. I am off out now for a walk with my son and will report back later.
Just seems odd to me.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Just a thought, but they used to use canaries in mines to detect gas. Any mines around you? Maybe the air is getting toxic!

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nope. THe mines are in Eastern Kentucky.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Don't they pretty much deep fry anything with wings in Kentucky?

And then add 11 herbs and spices?

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Let us know if you find anything on it....

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Don't they pretty much deep fry anything with wings in Kentucky?

And then add 11 herbs and spices?

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Let us know if you find anything on it....

Kentucky is just like anywhere else, dear.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'd say that that's probably too biased an observation to be useful. What you'd really want to look at is the records of bird sightings from local ornithological societies, like the Kentucky Ornithological Society.

I'd think that its possible that any migratory flocks simply haven't shown up yet, rather than aren't going to show up at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Zenlover28, did they all disappear all at once? Was it gradual? Keep an eye on the other animals and report any odd behaviour. Could be a warning for a few things, maybe we can do some documentation here and figure it out. Keep in touch and anyone else in the area please do the same.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The weather maybe playing a part, perhaps it will be a late migrate or a completely different migrating path?

Good to hear you have other animals to monitor. If they are acting normal I would look for a more logical conclusion. I know here in the North east (Michigan) we got blasted with a cold front. I did hear birds the past few mornings.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'd actually call a few local birding groups... They will know before any of the ornithological guys...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
OK, just got back from our walk here in Northern Kentucky.
Didn't hear any birds and only spotted around half a dozen at the most and we were out over half an hour.
Really weird !
Only last night was sat on the porch here and saw several flocks looking in the grass for bugs etc. Today nothing and the bread I put out earlier is still there.
We had a cold front move in today and temperatures are 20 degrees less than yesterday, if that would be a reason?
I spoke with my wife who is a native of this area in Kentucky (I'm from England) and asked if it was normal for this time of year. She said it was something she had never noticed before and that her Mother who lives 10 miles away from us had noticed that all her bird feeders have not been touched. She lives on a farm and has around 4 feeders that require regular, almost daily filling usually.
Very strange, and it's very eerie not hearing the birds. I guess you don't notice until they are missing. Crickets seem to be chirping as usual.
I am going to delve around a little further this afternoon and see if there is any more information to this.
Just wanted to share.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
So this is only happening today?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From what I observed last night, there was the normal bird activity.

Today, no birds. So I guess its a change that has happend today.

Several squirrels spotted on our walk though.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
e-mail this guy, I bet he's got the scoop

Reports of bird observations are reported in The Kentucky Warbler four times each year. Send reports of your bird sightings electronically to: Brainard Palmer-Ball, Jr. at: [email protected]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have sent him an email, I will post back any news from him.

Many thanks syrinx high priest for the information.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Here is the email list for Kentucky Ornithological Society, unfortuantely cannot email from my current location.

www.biology.eku.edu...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
In South Central Kentucky this has been going on for the past week or so from what I gather from some locals. I didn't notice until someone else mentioned it to me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join