It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Censored: The News that didn't Make News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Interesting Website from the Sonoma State University.

Here are the Top Ten Censored News Stories:
  • #1 Bush Administration Moves to Eliminate Open Government:

“The Bush Administration has an obsession with secrecy,” says Representative Henry Waxman, the Democrat from California who, in September 2004, commissioned a congressional report on secrecy in the Bush Administration. “It has repeatedly rewritten laws and changed practices to reduce public and congressional scrutiny of its activities. The cumulative effect is an unprecedented assault on the laws that make our government open and accountable.”

www.commondreams.org...

www.democrats.reform.house.gov...

• #2 Media Coverage Fails on Iraq: Fallujah and the Civilian Deathtoll:

The U.S. invasion of Iraq, and more specifically Fallujah, is causing an incredible humanitarian disaster among those who have no specific involvement with the war. The International Committee for the Red Cross reported on December 23, 2004 that three of the city’s water purification plants had been destroyed and the fourth badly damaged. Civilians are running short on food and are unable to receive help from those who are willing to make a positive difference. Aid organizations have been repeatedly denied access to the city, hospitals, and refugee populations in the surrounding areas.

www.commondreams.org...

www.wsws.org...

newstandardnews.net...

• #3 Another Year of Distorted Election Coverage:

Just before the November 2004 election, BBC television Newsnight discovered new, confidential “caging lists” which we got our hands on from inside the Republican National Committee headquarters. These were rosters of thousands of minority voters targeted to prevent them from voting on election day: a violation of federal law. It was big news in Europe and South America. In the USA, there was nothing except an attack on BBC’s report by ABC’s web site. ABC’s only listed source for their attack on the BBC was the Republican Party.

www.inthesetimes.com...

www.zmag.org...

www.freepress.org...

• #4 Surveillance Society Quietly Moves In:

On December 13, 2003, President George W. Bush, with little fanfare and no mainstream media coverage, signed into law the controversial Intelligence Authorization Act while most of America toasted the victory of U.S. forces in Iraq and Saddam’s capture. None of the corporate press covered the signing of this legislation, which increases the funding for intelligence agencies, dramatically expands the definition of surveillable financial institutions, and authorizes the FBI to acquire private records of those individuals suspected of criminal activity without a judicial review. American civil liberties are once again under attack.

www.signonsandiego.com...

www.capitolhillblue.com...

• #5 U.S. Uses Tsunami to Military Advantage in Southeast Asia

The tragic and devastating power of 2004’s post holiday tsunami was plastered across the cover of practically every newspaper around the world for the better part of a month. As the death toll rose by the thousands every day, countries struggled to keep pace with the rapidly increasing need for aid across the Indian Ocean Basin. At the same time that U.S. aid was widely publicized domestically, our coinciding military motives were virtually ignored by the press. While supplying our aid (which when compared proportionately to that of other, less wealthy countries, was an insulting pittance), we simultaneously bolstered military alliances with regional powers in, and began expanding our bases throughout, the Indian Ocean region.

www.etan.org...

• #6 The Real Oil for Food Scam:

The U.S. has accused UN officials of corruption in Iraq’s oil for food program. According to Joy Gordon and Scott Ritter the charge was actually an attempt to disguise and cover up long term U.S. government complicity in this corruption. Ritter says, “this posturing is nothing more than a hypocritical charade, designed to shift attention away from the debacle of George Bush’s self-made quagmire in Iraq, and legitimize the invasion of Iraq by using Iraqi corruption and not the now-missing weapons of mass destruction, as the excuse.” Gordon arrives at the conclusion that, “perhaps it is unsurprising that today the only role its seems the United States expects the UN to play in the continuing drama of Iraq is that of scapegoat.”

www.harpers.org...

www.commondreams.org...

www.harpers.org...

• #7 Journalists Face Unprecedented Dangers to Life and Livelihood:
    According to the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ)1, 2004 was the deadliest year for reporters since 1980, when records began to be kept. Over a 12-month span, 129 media workers were killed and 49 of those deaths occurred in the Iraqi conflict. According to independent journalist Dahr Jamail, journalists are increasingly being detained and threatened by the U.S.-installed interim government in Iraq. When the only safety for a reporter is being embedded with the U.S. military, the reported stories tend to have a positive spin. Non-embedded reporters suffer the great risk of being identified as enemy targets by the military.

www.truthout.org...

www.ipsnews.net...

• #8 Iraqi Farmers Threatened By Bremer’s Mandates:

In his article “Adventure Capitalism,” Greg Palast exposes the contents of a secret plan for “imposing a new regime of low taxes on big business, and quick sales of Iraq’s banks and bridges—in fact, ‘ALL state enterprises’—to foreign operators.” This economy makeover plan, he claims, “goes boldly where no invasion plan has gone before.”

www.fpif.org...

www.tompaine.com...

• #9 Iran’s New Oil Trade System Challenges U.S. Currency:

The U.S. media tells us that Iran may be the next target of U.S. aggression. The anticipated excuse is Iran’s alleged nuclear weapons program. William Clark tells us that economic reasons may have more to do with U.S. concerns over Iran than any weapons of mass destruction. In mid-2003 Iran broke from traditional and began accepting eurodollars as payment for it oil exports from its E.U. and Asian customers. Saddam Hussein attempted a similar bold step back in 2000 and was met with a devastating reaction from the U.S. Iraq now has no choice about using U.S. dollars for oil sales (Censored 2004 #19). However, Iran’s plan to open an international oil exchange marker for trading oil in the euro currency is a much larger threat to U.S. dollar supremacy than Iraq’s switch to euros.

english.people.com.cn...

p://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/31/content_387140.htm

www.newyorker.com...

iranmania.com

• #10 Mountaintop Removal Threatens Ecosystem and Economy

Mountaintop removal is a new form of coal mining in which companies dynamite the tops of mountains to collect the coal underneath. Multiple peaks are blown off and dumped onto highland watersheds, destroying entire mountain ranges. More than 1,000 miles of streams have been destroyed by this practice in West Virginia alone. Mountain top removal endangers and destroys entire communities with massive sediment dams and non-stop explosions.

www.ohvec.org...

More about Project Censored and the News that did not make News, here:

Project Censored

[edit on 29-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
They should change it to, "For the people, By the government".

They're going to start making laws saying that we can't vote on laws >_>. Because, we've never had any mainstream say on the patriot acts and such. And they're a huge elephant in our lives.

So, we get to vote on things that DON'T matter on the long term, but we're counted out on this security paranoia?

If you give up freedom for security, you give up both, freedom and securty - Franklin (I think)

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinci
If you give up freedom for security, you give up both, freedom and securty - Franklin (I think)

So many Views, and only One Comment.

I have to agree with You, especially with the Quote, from whoever it was.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
ahhh, the great country we live in. Sooner or later it seems that the government will run out of things to hide from us.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUntoldStory
ahhh, the great country we live in. Sooner or later it seems that the government will run out of things to hide from us.

maybe then, they will hide themselves.....it will be heaven!!!

I don't know if some stories are being censored, or if it's more that that "horrible liberal press"...
....is being run by big corporations themselves and well, the objectives of the administration goes along with theres?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
What we really need in the US(or anything for that matter) is unbiased news. Being able to just get the straight facts, nothing more nothing less. But its more of a dream then a reality I guess.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
all right. that's it. i'm going to hold my breath until the facist takeover of the world stops. i'm not kidding, .......*breathes in, turns blue and dies waiting*

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
all right. that's it. i'm going to hold my breath until the facist takeover of the world stops.

Well that's not such a Good Idea...

That could take a while.

i'm not kidding, .......*breathes in, turns blue and dies waiting*

Told you So!

Originally posted by dawnstar
maybe then, they will hide themselves.....it will be heaven!!!

Your Goverment can Not hide from Heaven - and recent Hurricanes are Showing just that.

Man can not Fight against Nature - he will ALWAYS Loose.

Just as he will Loose by Playing God.

And Sooner or Later then won't be Able to Hide from the Truth.

[edit on 29/9/05 by Souljah]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
ya, but if they ever do go hide under a rock, ummm, can we wait a few years, just enjoy the fact that they're not around, before we go hunt them down? kind of like playing hide and seek with the kids....they hide, and well, you just don't bother seeking!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
And it's even more disappointing to know that the majority of people wouldn't even care because it's not reported by national 'news' programs by beautiful people with sparkling eyes and shiny, fair complexions..

I urge many to tune into cspan in the morning; washington journal is great, and they allow all caller's from different political parties to opine on the show.

Let's give the well deserving stations our eyes and ears and show the other networks that they aren't going to get good ratings because they are full of bs and don't report real news unless their cronies approve of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The general public never seems aware of what's actually going on, one reason being that they don't care. There's too much corruption, too much disinformation, and too little truth regarding the things that actually matter. I don't blame the public for not knowing because the governments shouldn't be doing what they're doing in the first place. The governments' chief purpose is to protect the people, but who will protect those people from the government? Information of course, ever hear "knowledge is power" ..?

If the masses wake up and pay attention, thwarting the efforts of corruption and sinister agendas, then yey. If not, someone once said "I help those who help themselves," and they can't be helped when they're letting this happen.

It's a tragedy, and one which could be averted. Sadly, this particular tragedy in progress can only be stopped if the majority of a populace stands together, educates themselves, then after forming their own personal opinions, say NO to being used and stepped on.

She's a good player, but hardly the best. I doubt the majority will soon if ever open up their eyes though. A shame, but life will go on...for some. In any case, they say "If you fool me once, shame on you. If you fool me twice, shame on me," how many times have "we" been fooled? I guess we'll just get what's coming to us, if what we think is coming actually is what's coming.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2
If the masses wake up and pay attention, thwarting the efforts of corruption and sinister agendas, then yey. If not, someone once said "I help those who help themselves," and they can't be helped when they're letting this happen.

I Agree with you.

It's like this: I can't give you Fish everyday, just because you are starving. I can Teach you how to Catch Fish! But if you do not want to Learn, then you are never going to be independant.

Basicly the Majority IS Consuming everything their goverment is selling to them. Ofcourse Knowledge is Power, but People do not want to Learn - meaning they are left powerLESS. But the Power of the 21st Century is the Informaton: and here the Internet kicks in and the Enormous exchange of Information going on here. It is very hard or impossible for Goverments to Control the Cyberspace, altho there are Plans to do that in the Future. They know that alof of Informaton Lurks in Cyberspace, just waiting to swim out and start their bad day.

Knowledge is Power.

Information is a Weapon.

top topics

join