It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Identify Snake And Creature.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Wow, but a snake doesn't have a specific length, they can grow to any size. As long as it has the room and the food a snake can get bigger and bigger. Snakes, like crocs, gators, and other types of reptiles can grow to the size the enviroment will support. If the enviroment will support a 10 foot snake it will have one, if it can support a 20 it will have a 20.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Okay, seeing we're on the topic of large snakes, I was wondering about these pictures posted on Snopes, they are in fact real, but snopes doesn't give any backround information on where these snakes are, what kind they are, and what the heck they're doing on an oil rig?

Anybody know?

Here's one of the pictures, there's more in the link.

Snopes Article on Katrina Snakes

[corrected urls and images , here is original source -nygdan]

[edit on 6-10-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'll have to agree that these are (Cottonmouth) Water Moccasins...

That'll also explain why they're next to the water...

More info on Water Moccasins

As to where the pics were taken? My guess is as good as the next guy's... (Although it doesn't really look like sea-water does it?)

[edit on 6-10-2005 by Gemwolf]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Those are AWFULLY big water moc's. Especially the one crawling on the side of the boat there, damn!

According to the link above on water moc's, they never get over 6 feet, the snakes in the snopes article are clearly well over 6 feet long....judging by the size of the oil rig they are on.

Just wondering why there would be so many on an oil rig? What attracted them there?
Thats a scary thought to be over-run by a barrage of those big scary snakes.

[edit on 10/6/2005 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl
According to the link above on water moc's, they never get over 6 feet, the snakes in the snopes article are clearly well over 6 feet long....judging by the size of the oil rig they are on.

Well, I can't agree with you 100%... It's a bit difficult to guess the sizes, but my opinion is that there isn't one that's over 6 feet... If you disagree please point to the right pic...

Just wondering why there would be so many on an oil rig? What attracted them there?

Well, extreme weather conditions show us all kinds of funny stuff. Raining fish and rocks, animals in weird places, etc. It's not unknown to find an alligator that wandered off into the unknown and ended up on beaches, scaring the #%^$ out of swimmers. In times of floods people have to "battle" their way through hordes of snakes "running" for higher grounds...
If these snakes ended up on the rig because of Katrina, then it would have been a plausible explanation... BUT these pics can be traced back to 17 February 2005 so we know that Katrina was not the cause of this oddity.

As stated, 17 February 2005 was the first time these pics appeared on the Internet at the fishing site with no explanation, which would lead us to believe that this is most probably the true origin of the pics... Although the original poster never answered any of the questions, which creates some doubt.
It would make it a bit easier to solve the mystery if we could identify the "rig"... No one could to this day positively identify the rig... The most satisfying identification I found was this one -

Off the coast of Louisiana, aboard an offshore drilling platform. Being that its a platform, vs a semi-submersible rig, its not too far out. Not sure as to the exact location, but most of the platforms we provide communications for are along the coast of Louisiana starting about Cameron, and stretching to Fourchon (which really no longer exists).

So in short, Jeepin4x4girl, they probably ended up there by accident (natural forces)... Other than that we're pretty much in the dark...

(That was of no help to you, was it?
)

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Gemwolf]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55

Hope this was the right place to post . If not Mod please move for me.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Harry55]

The animal is for sure a baby hippo. I don't know if the pic is real. I see some problems with the snake and its prey. It could be real.

One of the problem is the way the snake is dragging the prey up the rocks, 95% of the time a snake isn't going to drag food any place, Eat on site. This snake would have been in the water, killed the hippo, left the hippo, crawled all the way up the top to get leverage(snakes don't climb backwards) to then bite and drag up the rocks. Too much energy spent killing and moving, he would just eat it.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
hippo? are you missing the long legs outstretched in the water? and how about that long tail? and hippos have large heads, where is that huge jaw?

id have to agree with everyone else in that its a wallaby. even if it was a younger wallaby, say 3 feet tall, that would still make for a substancially large snake, maybe 12 feet? the thing is still stretched far outside of the end of the photo.

also, snakes arent really thrilled about the idea of eating out in the open. it would stand to reason that it would be trying to drag it on the shore to be able to ingest it in privacy.

lastly, if it is faked, they went through alot of trouble to do so. you can even see the reflection of the snake in the water below! if its faked, the faker needs to be making films.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by justdj]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
its a wallaby as i said before. maybe it's not dragging it at all. maybe the wallaby was up on the rocks and jumped for the water as the snake struck and we are seeing the struggle

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
that water isnt showing any signs of movement at all... its doubtful that theres any stuggle left in that little thing.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by justdj
hippo? are you missing the long legs outstretched in the water? and how about that long tail? and hippos have large heads, where is that huge jaw?
I did miss the tail.
id have to agree with everyone else in that its a wallaby. even if it was a younger wallaby, say 3 feet tall, that would still make for a substantially large snake, maybe 12 feet? the thing is still stretched far outside of the end of the photo.
15 to 25 foot.
also, snakes aren't really thrilled about the idea of eating out in the open. it would stand to reason that it would be trying to drag it on the shore to be able to ingest it in privacy.
I have had snakes my whole life, I have an 8 foot red tail Boa. What you say here is just not true. They don't care, its about saving energy.
lastly, if it is faked, they went through a lot of trouble to do so. you can even see the reflection of the snake in the water below! if its faked, the faker needs to be making films.

I said I didn't know if it was fake or not. The Snake has to be a python, the head is to long to be an anaconda.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by SpittinCobra]

[edit on 11-10-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
check out this (snake vs alligator) in the Everglade's of Florida.

Link to story: www.orlandosentinel.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by justdj
that water isnt showing any signs of movement at all... its doubtful that theres any stuggle left in that little thing.
Didn't notice that...Good Job

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Well, I can't agree with you 100%... It's a bit difficult to guess the sizes, but my opinion is that there isn't one that's over 6 feet... If you disagree please point to the right pic...

Well, extreme weather conditions show us all kinds of funny stuff. Raining fish and rocks, animals in weird places, etc. It's not unknown to find an alligator that wandered off into the unknown and ended up on beaches, scaring the #%^$ out of swimmers. In times of floods people have to "battle" their way through hordes of snakes "running" for higher grounds...
If these snakes ended up on the rig because of Katrina, then it would have been a plausible explanation... BUT these pics can be traced back to 17 February 2005 so we know that Katrina was not the cause of this oddity.

As stated, 17 February 2005 was the first time these pics appeared on the Internet at the fishing site with no explanation, which would lead us to believe that this is most probably the true origin of the pics... Although the original poster never answered any of the questions, which creates some doubt.
It would make it a bit easier to solve the mystery if we could identify the "rig"... No one could to this day positively identify the rig... The most satisfying identification I found was this one -

Off the coast of Louisiana, aboard an offshore drilling platform. Being that its a platform, vs a semi-submersible rig, its not too far out. Not sure as to the exact location, but most of the platforms we provide communications for are along the coast of Louisiana starting about Cameron, and stretching to Fourchon (which really no longer exists).

So in short, Jeepin4x4girl, they probably ended up there by accident (natural forces)... Other than that we're pretty much in the dark...

(That was of no help to you, was it?
)

lol...no, that wasn't too much help, but thanks for trying anyhow.

two pictures that struck me about the size of the snakes were these:
(this has to be over 6 ft judging by the surroundings, right?)

Those are some big mofo snakes!

I still wanna know exactly where this picture originated from and why the snakes are all congregating on this particular rig.

I've tried googling "snakes on oil rig" and only come up with articles about snake oil...which is a completely different topic.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
And, back on topic with the picture of a snake eating a wallaby, did anyone happen to notice this? Looks like the snake is extending even outside of the caved area.

The part I outlined in red looks shiny and the same color as the rest of the snake, leading me to believe that it isn't the rock formation, but the rest/end of the snakes tail.

How'd ya like to go for a swim in that water, looks pretty crystal clean to me!

[edit on 10/12/2005 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Snake killing then eatting.

These are the not the same snake.

JeepGirl I noticed the end of the snake.

[edit on 12-10-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Full Metal
Wow, but a snake doesn't have a specific length, they can grow to any size. As long as it has the room and the food a snake can get bigger and bigger. Snakes, like crocs, gators, and other types of reptiles can grow to the size the environment will support. If the environment will support a 10 foot snake it will have one, if it can support a 20 it will have a 20.

This 99% correct, snakes and reptiles in general have a Minimum and a maximum size.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join