It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forecasts warn major hurricane likely in October

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Fair Warning issued, I'm going to start replenshing supplies tommorrow!!

Forecasts warn major hurricane likely in October

Meteorologists examining the conditions that spawned hurricanes Rita and Katrina say there is a strong likelihood that another intense hurricane will occur in October.

And while late-season storms tend to track eastward toward Florida or don't make landfall at all, the experts don't rule out the possibility of another major storm targeting the battered Gulf Coast.

Researchers also warn that the country should brace for 10 to 40 more years of powerful storms because of a natural ocean cycle in the midst of the most active hurricane period on record.

and this taken from NOAA site

When are the major hurricanes likely to strike given areas ? Table 10 shows the incidence of major hurricanes by months for the U.S. mainland and individual states. For the United States, September has had more major hurricanes than all other months combined. However, four of the most devastating hurricanes did not occur in September--Andrew (August 1992), Camille (August 1969), Audrey (June 1957), and Hazel (October 1954). Only in Texas and Louisiana are major hurricanes in August and September almost an equal threat. Most major October hurricanes occur in southern Florida.

Now that's again warning for Florida, especially South Florida and well imo the way this year has been, I wouldn't be surprised about anything, they can end up from Texas to New England.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm sure they'll be more coming. The seas just need some more time to heat up again after the churning caused by Katrina and Rita

[edit on 9/28/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

...Table 10 shows the incidence of major hurricanes by months for the U.S. mainland and individual states. For the United States, September has had more major hurricanes than all other months combined. However, four of the most devastating hurricanes did not occur in September--Andrew (August 1992), Camille (August 1969), Audrey (June 1957), and Hazel (October 1954). Only in Texas and Louisiana are major hurricanes in August and September almost an equal threat. Most major October hurricanes occur in southern Florida.

Table 10:

The latest "meteorological problem child" -- and first potential October hurricane:

...And as it appears in the GOES East Hurricane SECTOR IR Image:

Note: In the case these images auto-update, they may become irrelevant within a day or so...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
BTW, the NOAA is forecasting this tropical system "will move across the Yucatan Peninsula into Southern Middle Gulf waters Fri. night and Sat."

Shall I be the first to go on record and forecast the landfall of a hurricane somewhere between Corpus Christi and Houston (putting Houston on the NE quadrant of the storm)? Of course, I hope (and pray) I'm wrong...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well that would certainly be the death blow to the oil industry in the Gulf, at least for some time..........

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Nope it looks like its going to make a U turn... that front is gona hit it and its going to U turn to Flordia.

Sorry World Watcher

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It's not a tropical storm, just a tropical wave right now. Conditions may become favorable for strengthening, but they've kind of been saying that for a while now and nothing has happened yet.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm not worried about the blob aka depression 19??

even if it comes my way, i don't think it will intensify that much. We're already getting tropical moisture meaning afternoon thunderstorms from the system in South Florida

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
and the giant blue fin tuna trip is in jeapardy.

damn you hurricanes. damn you

top topics

join