It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Giant Squid Caught on Camera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
After many attempts worldwide and millions of dollars being spent by Documentary companies to find this ellusive beast, a group of Japanese Scientists have finally caught a picture of a live Giant Squid at a depth of 900m. The creature was lured with a bait of common Japanese squid and mashed shrimp. The scientists managed to capture nearly 550 images of the squid over a period of 4 hours, as it had managed to get itself tangled on the line. As a bonus, the squid left behind a 5 metre long section of tentacle, which was still functioning when they pulled the lure to the surface.

news.bbc.co.uk
A live, adult giant squid has been caught on camera in the wild for the very first time.

Japanese researchers took pictures of the elusive creature hunting 900m down, enveloping its prey by coiling its tentacles into a ball.

The images show giant squid, known as Architeuthis, are more vigorous hunters than has been supposed.

The images, captured in the Pacific Ocean, appear in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was really pleased to see this on the news today. After so long, pictures of thie animal in its natural habitat have finally been caught and some serious scientific study can now take place.

Apparently, this wasn't the largest of the creatures. Not only can they grow up to 3 times bigger than the one seen, but another species is known to exist called Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni or the "Colossal Squid", which can grow to a much larger size than the so-called Giant Squid.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Apologies people, I did look for the story and didnt find it covered, but then I am a bit dopy this time of night.

Close this one and stick with Grady's!

join