It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ten Dollar Bill Gets Splash of Color

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The U.S. Department of the Treasury unveiled a new design for the U.S. ten dollar note today, which adds many new security features plus some color to the traditional all green design. Similar changes have already been made to the twenty and fifty dollar notes. The new bills will start entering circulation early next year.

www.usatoday.com
WASHINGTON (AP) — The color of money is getting more varied. A newly designed $10 bill features splashes of orange, yellow and red to go with the traditional green.

The $10 bill note becomes the third bill denomination to be jazzed up with colors as part of the government's effort to thwart counterfeiters and the ever-more sophisticated devices at their disposal.

"Thanks to the changes we've made in currency design, thanks to aggressive law enforcement led by the U.S. Secret Service and thanks to an informed public, we've been able to stay ahead of the counterfeiters," Treasury Secretary John Snow said during the unveiling ceremony Wednesday on Ellis Island in New York harbor.

The location was selected to highlight one of the new features of the bill — a red image of the Statue of Liberty's torch on the left side of the portrait of Alexander Hamilton, the nation's first secretary of the Treasury.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I like the new design, especially the prominent "We the People" on the front. It's nice to see some cool changes to both our bills and coins, they were getting so drab and boring.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
When are you going to just go the same rout we did and just make every not a different colour? It makes it easier to manage your money that way both as a consumer and as a business owner. Instead of reading of the digits you just glance at the colour.

Here is our current colour scheme.

5 = Blue
10 = Purple
20 = Green
50 = Red
100 = Brown

Quite easy and straightfoward and makes the life of the counterfeiter more difficult.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
exactly sardion,
Ours here are all color coded and it makes it much easier.

US currency has to be the ugliest of all, and color makes it worse! ick

Especially being a foreigner in the US and having to look at each to ensure it's right and advertising your cash to everyone *sigh*

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
When are you going to just go the same rout we did and just make every not a different colour? It makes it easier to manage your money that way both as a consumer and as a business owner. Instead of reading of the digits you just glance at the colour.

Here is our current colour scheme.

5 = Blue
10 = Purple
20 = Green
50 = Red
100 = Brown

Quite easy and straightfoward and makes the life of the counterfeiter more difficult.

I don't know, I think my InkJet printer can do all of those colors (and then some)

The multi-chromatic ink would be hard to reproduce but how often do
people check the note at different angles to the light.

The new colors? What is the point?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
They are multi-chromatic the predominant colour is what I listed.

Now if you have a bunch of bills in your wallet and don't wanna pull it all out for the world to see all you have to do is glance at the colour. That's the point, it deters muggings as well.

www.vancouver.hm...

BTW The new gen Canadian Currency is considering the worlds most secure at the moment. No good fakes have been discovered yet, it will happen eventually but its allot harder now.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Australian banknotes have a cool feature that I'd like to see more of- see through plastic!

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Plastic notes would make them more durable and harder to counterfeit, but how easily recycled are they?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
In Norway both size and colour vary. Practical for blind people that size follows value

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Brail is better and is in use in our notes. I was never a fan of variable sized notes, always screws up the deformation of wallets lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If they make them out of gold then they will actually be worth something
more than the paper they are printed on. Gold is pretty hard to counterfit.
You can just weigh the stuff and know if it is real or not.

With all the new fancy bank notes which seem to be constantly changing
is the average person going to know what a "real" note is supposed
to look like? Last time I went to the bank and got cash I saw the new new
20's and thought, "cool new colors". But how do I know what it is
supposed to look like, especially if it keeps changing?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
You're not it's purely for the Business's convienince who keep asking for more
and more security measures. BTW Not enough gold to do as you ask. There are
conviences for the Consumer but never forget who the government bows down
too. (or bends over to would be a better way of saying it)

[Sarcasm]You're right I guess people are just too stupid to keep track of a bills
that change once ever 5-10 years or so, it's just sooo taxing what with our short
caffenated attention spans nowadays.[/Sarcasm]

[edit on 28-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think the Euro notes are the ugliest...they're so blah. I think it's because they're used in so many countries they have to be really neutral with no real national symbols.

The old Dutch guilder notes were really pretty though.

[edit on 9/28/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I thought each member state could design it's own euro within certain parameters? Or has that changed?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I thought each member state could design it's own euro within certain parameters? Or has that changed?

The bills are all the same. The coins have one side designed by each state.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I like our Canadian currency, I find its the most attractive, with all the colors
They have plenty of security features like some have already said, multi-chromatic, brail, and they have ghosts too of whoever is on the bill, that you can't see unless you hold it up to the light. Not sure about any other notes, but our 20s have little lines on either side of the bill, and when you hold it to the light it forms a 20

Just adding:

But how do I know what it is
supposed to look like, especially if it keeps changing?

At my work, and I know other places have them too, we have little fake plastic bills that have all the security features circled and described, I think there's about 10, and a little magnifying glass to compare the bill in question with.
I know that doesn't really answer how the average person would tell the difference, but since businesses have these and are more likely to spot a conterfeit, its less likely you would be given one in, say, the change from your chocolate milk.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by ju stab urden]

new topics

top topics

join