It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water in your tank? You may be suprised...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don’t have a link, but this is just now being reported on my local news:

A station in a town not to far from Boston was caught adding WATER to its gasoline to pad profits. Of course malicious intent has yet to be proven, but the local authorities have already confirmed that the station was selling watered down gas.

The owner failed to comment when questioned on camera...Of course...

What’s the moral of the story? Nothing, there is no way to be proactive about this. Just know its possible and the ultra high gas prices aren’t bringing the best out of people, possibly at your expense.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Interesting but not really new, you know that dirt bike or lawnmower that sat all winter in the shed with gas in it.

It won’t start because the gas is bad as they say, (really that’s because there is water mixed with the fuel); the gas has separated from the water. With water weighing more than the fuel it settles to the bottom of the tank, ie no start.

Shake it up and it will work fine. I think different suppliers mix their own brew. I use Sunoco for my race toys
Less water imho.
good point that you have brought up though

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Interesting but not really new, you know that dirt bike or lawnmower that sat all winter in the shed with gas in it.

It won’t start because the gas is bad as they say, (really that’s because there is water mixed with the fuel); the gas has separated from the water. With water weighing more than the fuel it settles to the bottom of the tank, ie no start.

Shake it up and it will work fine. I think different suppliers mix their own brew. I use Sunoco for my race toys
Less water imho.
good point that you have brought up though

I understand your analogy, but these stations sell through their entire inventory of gas each week, not possible for a residual build up of water. I am certain further studies will reveal if the tank has a leak of water or not. But most local news and opinions is that the water was purposefully added.

The woman who first complained brought her stalled car to be fixed and was told by a serviceman that there was water in the tank. Cost her $200 for that bad gas.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
no I agree with you, all I'm saying is that they have been doing this for as long as I can remember, and a really surprising funny thing today, was as I was buying gas it sounded like there was air coming through the pump handle, like a gurgling type sound. It gave me the impression I was pumping air with the fuel.
Damn If I don't syphon it my self I don't really know what I'm getting.
oups did I say that out loud.

[edit on 28/9/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Bush waived the guidelines on fuel purity after Katrina.

I'm unsure as to whether it is still illegal to water down fuel.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I thought that only had to do with High Sulfer fuel.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wait, wait, wait.

Water mixes with gas? Even if the gas doesn't sit long enough to truely "settle", wouldn't that be a bit obvious? I mean, one day once a month, maybe some people would think their cars had a bad day. But hundreds or thousands of people, for a few days straight? Nah...people will talk. I hope no one took that news anchorman seriously.
Sugar in the tank? Sure. But it takes too much water to have that sort of effect play out without getting caught.
That post was great for a laugh, skippytjc. Where is your hometown?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I hope I'd notice if I got water in my tank. What about permanent engine damage?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
"great post for a laugh"?

You for real? This really happenned, its really being reported on my local news. Water in the gas.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Isolated incident, skippytjc?
Any other stations being cited as doing the same?

As for this mention by Nerdling:

Bush waived the guidelines on fuel purity after Katrina.

I am having difficulty is finding a news release or article indicating thus, Nerdling. Can you provide an article or link that indicates what you have mentioned? Thanks.

seekerof

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I believe this is the waiver folks are referring to:

Nationwide fuel waiver issued to bolster fuel supplies

On Aug. 31, 2005, EPA waived the requirement to sell "summer gasoline" which contains a lower volatility limit. This action has the effect of allowing early use of wintertime gasoline. EPA is also allowing the use of diesel fuel that exceeds 500 ppm sulfur content. Both waivers were effective through Sept. 15th and were applicable throughout all 50 states, U.S. territories and the District of Columbia. Emergency Nationwide Fuel Waiver In Response to Hurricane Katrina (pdf, 322 KB, 2 pages)

It does not appear that this would allow for adding water to gasoline being sold (to me at least, but I'm just a newbie, what do I know?).

The full text of this waiver and many others can be found at the above link.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Nice document, Jaryn.

Can someone find me one about this hometown news?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Wait, wait, wait.

Water mixes with gas? Even if the gas doesn't sit long enough to truely "settle", wouldn't that be a bit obvious? I mean, one day once a month, maybe some people would think their cars had a bad day. But hundreds or thousands of people, for a few days straight? Nah...people will talk. I hope no one took that news anchorman seriously.
Sugar in the tank? Sure. But it takes too much water to have that sort of effect play out without getting caught.
That post was great for a laugh, skippytjc. Where is your hometown?

some water does get disolved in gasoline. in one process in a refinery you use caustic soda to remove the sulfer from gas. over time the strength of the caustic will rise as the gasoline will absorb the water and carry it out to tankage. so yes water does mix with gasoline. even more so if you put a little alcohol in with it

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Nice document, Jaryn.

Can someone find me one about this hometown news?

Ask and ye shall receive!

At least I hope this is it:

Water discovered in gas station tanks
State inspectors find no evidence of wrongdoing

When cars began to sputter and die this week in Raynham and Taunton, some motorists quickly accused the owner of the Raynham United gasoline station on Route 138 of watering down the product.

Suspicion intensified when the station abruptly locked its doors Tuesday with two ''quarantined" tags on one of the pumps. Some customers were already concerned by signs on three antiquated pumps that can't register prices of more than $2.99 per gallon; the signs stated that the ''total sale of gasoline will be multiplied by two."

But state officials said yesterday that the owner of the station, Worcester-based CK Smith Co. Inc., has done nothing wrong in this time of high-priced octane. Instead, it's a simple matter of having gotten 1 to 3 inches of water in the station's three gas tanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A few points:

" Instead, it's a simple matter of having gotten 1 to 3 inches of water in the station's three gas tanks."
And the cars sputtered and died. That was my point-it couldn't have gone unnoticed

"some water does get disolved in gasoline. in one process in a refinery you use caustic soda to remove the sulfer from gas. over time the strength of the caustic will rise as the gasoline will absorb the water and carry it out to tankage. so yes water does mix with gasoline. even more so if you put a little alcohol in with it"
Well, sure...water can mix with gasoline. But the point was to dump a couple of gallons in it to dilute it for sale. Not as part of normal processing.

And skippy's original post questioned malicious intent. The news story that Jaryn nicely brought to us merely had the owner's "gotten" some water in their tanks. Doesn't imply that they added it on purpose.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is funny

I want everyone to go outside and pour half a glass of gas into a cup. Now add 1 spoon full of water to it. WATER AND GAS DO NOT MIX.

Add alcohol and you may get some of it to mix.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Actually it does it's all in how you mix it. Putting it into a glass and stiring it isn't going to do it, you gotta froth it like Capaccino cream. I'm not pulling your leg either it works try it. Allthough use Oil and not Gasoline
Smells allot better.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Water doesn't mix with gasoline so it can't dilute it. You'd either get water or gasoline out of the pump, not some diluted mixture.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I don't know if it is feasible to mix water into gas at a station. It would settle to the bottom of the undergound tank and then what?? It would cause many people huge driveability problems as well and would be known about in no time. On the other hand, I saw a news expose' about gas stations buying illegal chips for their pumps that shorted how much gas you got. Not to change the subject, but it would be interesting to bring a graduated cylinder to local gas stations to do a spot check of if their gallon is actually what they say it is.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Actually it does it's all in how you mix it. Putting it into a glass and stiring it isn't going to do it, you gotta froth it like Capaccino cream. I'm not pulling your leg either it works try it. Allthough use Oil and not Gasoline
Smells allot better.

It will seperate again to water and gas.

Either way they do not have giant blenders in the underground tanks to do this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join