It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran vows to "Punish India"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
President Ahmadinejad has warned that he is now reviewing economic and trade ties with the countries that have voted for the European Union resolution at the IAEA board of governors meeting in Vienna. In a surprise to the Iranian government, India made a vote for the referral. A public Iranian outcry to punish India for making the decision sparked the inquiry.

www.iht.com
The Iran government, under tremendous public pressure to act against the countries that had voted against, has also decided to write formal letters of objection to the countries that voted for the resolution. It was very apparent from the first formal reference to India by the Iran government that it had taken strong objection to New Delhi's failure to inform it of the decision.

"Punish India" was the call from Iran's Majlis Energy Committee chief Kamal Daneshyar, the first salvo against New Delhi from a traditional friend. Sources spoke of a high-level of dismay and anger in Tehran against the Manmohan Singh government for supporting the EU-3 resolution at the IAEA.

Mr Daneshyar's remarks, not bound by government bureaucracy, are indicative of the mood within Iran with Majlis Energy Committee chief Kamal Daneshyar, the first salvo against New Delhi from a traditional friend. Sources spoke of a high level of dismay and anger in Tehran against the Manmohan Singh government for supporting the EU-3 resolution at the IAEA.

Mr Daneshyar's remarks, not bound by government bureaucracy, are indicative of the mood within Iran with the Tehran Times quoting him as saying, "Britain, Germany and France should be omitted from the list of economic ties with Iran." This, he said would be a response to those countries "that backstab despite having major economic ties with Iran." He added, "among the countries on the list that should be punished is India." New Delhi is currently negotiating a $7-billion gas pipeline with Iran, with the government here insisting that its anti-vote will not impact adversely on this project.

The Tehran Times known to be close to the government reported, "India danced to the US tune at the IAEA board of governors meeting, despite having signed a contract with Tehran to import Iranian natural gas." The Iranian government is now faced with volatile public opinion from within, that is reflected in the local newspapers calling upon a review of economic ties with the countries that supported the EU resolution. In fact, reports now suggest that the majority of members of the influential Iranian Majlis have signed a petition urging the government to back out of the additional protocol allowing surprise IAEA checks on its nuclear facilities.

Foreign secretary Shyam Saran, fielded by the government to defend the Indian vote, claimed that relations with Iran were not going to be affected. This is not the view coming out of Tehran with the influential Majlis members demanding a strong response from the government against the countries that voted for the EU resolution. The focus, presently is on what the newspapers there describe as the "European Big Three" with pressure building up to suspend economic relations with Britain, Germany and France as well as countries like India.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Are you surprised? I figured Iran would have done this a long time ago.. but I figured their target would be the United States.

Related News Links:
news.google.com

[edit on 2-10-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Unfortunately India is cought in between Iran and the US.

A relationship with theocratic Islamic Iran is necessary evil for India's energy needs.

On the other hand the US is a democracy (just like India) and is rallying to provide India with its latest nuclear tech.

But i suppose India can have only one of those.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
A repeat of the mythic Aryan invasion is perhaps what Ahmenijad has planned?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This is the problem with pushing places like Iran...they eventually will make a stand and are now forcing India to make a choice.

Advanced weapons technology or;
Oil.

This choice could be forced upon many other Nations and in turn cause a massive level of instability within world politics. Oil and those with it will soon be the true powers as it runs out within Europe and is left in the hands of Arabs [Middle East], Russian's, Chinese and American's. [South and North.]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Of course, the problem with Iran using that tactic is that places like india and pakistan could simply invade, occupy, and nationalize their oil reserves.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Of course, the problem with Iran using that tactic is that places like india and pakistan could simply invade, occupy, and nationalize their oil reserves.

But the chances of such an event are slim at best... and even in such an event, knowing the Iranian Government I am sure they have a nice backup plan if they are invaded and a nice way to destroy oil production just in case America do invade them...

cjf

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
This is the problem with pushing places like Iran...they eventually will make a stand and are now forcing India to make a choice.

The government of India has been courting two options, Russia and Iran, to fulfill future energy needs. Iran needs India’s US$ 7.5 Billion to build the LNG pipeline, this Iran has always left on the table as ‘untouched’.

India has also has made similar proposals to Russia and India has invested US$ 3 billion in the Sakhalin-3 oil field as a recent example. The Russia/India ‘overall deal’ looks better to India as it will also be able to diversify its’ IT (20% of the world market) and co-op with Russia which need this as bad as India needs oil/ng. India’s current concern is only the stabilization of the barrel price, hence the ‘concerns’ about US/Israel/UN possible reprisals against Iran.

Iran is not holding all the cards.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
But, cjf, they do not need to hold all the cards.

They know they can cause enough problems in the short-term by doing these and it helps force the issue away from them [by causing internal division between their 'enemy'.]

Also they know we will need the oil in the long run, so someone will buy it from them even if they do not wish to buy it.

cjf

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

They know they can cause enough problems in the short-term by doing these and it helps force the issue away from them [by causing internal division between their 'enemy'.]

Also they know we will need the oil in the long run, so someone will buy it from them even if they do not wish to buy it.

I used to agree fully with that premise now I’m not so sure; however there are some issues surrounding the short term events concerning Iran which have direct influence on the intermediate and long term. There are many issues at play, but I’ll speak to the surface, where I began to look differently at Iran (so to speak).

Yes the oil is there, but without development it will likely stay there.

My take in brief is that Iran relies heavily on outside investors to develop its’ oil fields, Iran’s investment packages are not very attractive (strictly ‘buy back’ by law). Currently the Kuwaiti’s and the Saudis are in discussion concerning continued joint development e.g. Arash field, which all well and good. Shell, the Japanese consortium and Brazil have had their ‘smaller’ investment fields have come online.

Most ‘would be’ investors have retracted or stalled with the ‘nuke’ scare and remaining potential investors are looking to Iran with a suspicious eye as to their current behavior. Nations such as Japan moved away from future commitments and have purchased the lion’s share of Libyan blocks. Dutch Shell and India have moved billions and billions in developing the Eastern Russian fields and are now looking to develop pipelines to service eastern Asia as well as the United States (oil and LNG). Iran is not getting the necessary investiture for the significant increase in production and did not meet her OPEC production quota last year. Iran spends, currently US$ 3 billion in keeping its production running at current levels But the bottom line is, if the oil is not coming out of the ground there is nothing to sell.

Iran’s domestic economy is also tied by gasoline imports. Iran imports annually and estimated US$ 4 billion in gasoline (some sources state as high as US$ 7 billion) as it refinery capacity is overtaxed/capped running at a rate which is far less than domestic demand which is growing at an estimated 8-9% a year. Her unemployment rate runs at 16-21%. New refineries will not go on line until 2010. Iran is also projected to import US$ 20 billion in gasoline over the next four years to keep up with domestic demand. Currently she is reported to be rationing gasoline and attempting not to run into diesel and fuel oil shortages this winter. Her economy and infrastucture are far to week and antiquated to back-up her threats and as the world is dependent on oil...she needs cash.

I do believe Iran is positioning, but she does not recognize she is being used.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

just in case America do invade them...

Neverminding the US, I'd think that the pakistanis could present something of a problem for Iran, and if Iran puts an embargo on oil to pakistan, well, embargos are an act of war no? India would have a somewhat more difficult time, I don't know what their 'force projection' capabilities are, but it'd be interesting to see the fallout of a war between India and Iran. The chances aren't so slim if Iran is actually cutting off oil to india, they have a large army and surely they can make a connection between kashmiri militants and iran, even if by way of waziristan. I can see them whipping themselves up for it.

can cause enough problems in the short-term by doing these

Yes, short of a desire to 'bring the indian economy to its knees', the iranian tactic is good. If, for example, a big issue comes up in the UN with regards to iran, the indians will have to think twice about voting against iran. Even if its all a bluff and the indians call it, it can still create a delay. Also, being a democracy, a move against iran by their leaders can be seen as a dumb and dangerous move by their people, and result in them loosing support. Even if they don't have to worry about not being re-elected, they'd definitly be worried about 'declining approval ratings'. Fear of that can be worse than fear of any economic problems.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
...Nygdan, seems to be understanding my point.

Now think who is on the short list to be part of the Security Council? One day ending up with a veto...

NR

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

...Nygdan, seems to be understanding my point.

Now think who is on the short list to be part of the Security Council? One day ending up with a veto...

and that vetoe will come from China,Russia, and South.Afrika. What i think Bush should do is cooperate more with Iran on this situation, I mean like heres a good chance for both sides to work with each other and even Iran is cooperating with IAEA along with being monietered. Bush even knows once he refers us to UNSC than U.N with IAEA will be kicked out and we will finnaly start uranium. Or is that one of his plan....

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
India will not get a veto at the UNSC.
And don't forget, the core of the recent Indo-US ties is NOT weapons tech exchange, it is access to nuclear fuel for reactors.
Energy needs are being addressed very seriously in this case also.

top topics

join