It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phantom Cops in New Orleans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
O.K., the source for this is Tony Snow via Fox News, so an idealogical bend to the story isn't out of the question, but there are stories coming out of the FBI investigation that a massive conspiracy and fraud has been taking place in the New Orleans City government.

It seems that the massive desertion of N.O. police after hurricane Katrina did not happen... because the police weren't there in the first place!

Of 1700 cops on the payroll it now appears that up to 600 never existed.
This may explain why Ray Nagin was "giving" Las Vegas vacations away to officers (hiding the fact they weren't around) and why police chief Eddie Compass resigned yesterday.

Payroll padding is an old game, sadly, in this case it might have cost lives.

May I add that I'm shocked... shocked to see corruption taking place in the Big Easy. I hope all the federal money going in there now has some oversight attached.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Do you have a link for this?

Don't get my hopes up for such a juicy story if you don't have a link.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar
Do you have a link for this?

Don't get my hopes up for such a juicy story if you don't have a link.

The only link I could find for this is a sound bite from the Tony Snow Show website. It is under "BAD BOYS" It does confirm Realist05's post. I agree with Realist05 about the validity of the information.

The Tony Snow Show

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Like I say, www.foxnews.com see Tony Snow.

Kinda hard to post this on above top secret, because corruption in N.O. is not a secret. Just kind of amazing they took it that far.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realist05

Kinda hard to post this on above top secret, because corruption in N.O. is not a secret. Just kind of amazing they took it that far.

Kind of makes you wonder about where else this may be happening at. I don't think that New Orleans is alone in this kind of thing.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Kind of makes you wonder about where else this may be happening at. I don't think that New Orleans is alone in this kind of thing.

I don't either. But I'd put money that they could set the bar. lol

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Ghost Payrolling is an old and favorite trick of political machines.

the only mention of it I can find is this, related to the school system.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The corruption of Louisiana, New Orleans in particular, is legendary. There is NOTHING that can come out of that state that will shock those who live in the South and have heard and seen the lunacy! New Orleans audacity is above all others!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

May I add that I'm shocked... shocked to see corruption taking place in the Big Easy. I hope all the federal money going in there now has some oversight attached.

This is sarcasm, right?

Agree with TC.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Think of Louie in Casablanca, darkelf.
I think this might just be a rather large tip of an iceburg that would make most city scandels look like a church school; more than the police department is invloved in "honest graft" in N.O., other city department are part of the same machine, and are pulling funds out of everyone from the Army Corps of Engineers to small businessmen trying to get by without a hassle from city and state regulators.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
And this is the area way too many tax dollars are headed.

I shudder to think what percentage will even be used to rebuild.

Sodom and Gomorrah comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
And this is the area way too many tax dollars are headed.

Yeah now Louisiana wants $250,000,000,000 with no strings attached or oversight. Not exactly going over too well now...I think they overreached just a bit

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Tonight I talked with a friend in N.O. that told me a number of suicides have taken place among middle management police officialdom in N.O.

Can anyone confirm? Is this a rather be dead than prison situation?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'd be interested in seeing a link for thatstory. The Tony Snow link provided has changed since the story aired and I cannot find another source.
Not that I don't believe it for a minute, but still corroboration would be great.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Came across this on the net:

www.stuff.co.nz...

The other stuff i've heard has been from people I know from N.O., mostly resturant people, unvarified by postage on the internet, where, as we all know, EVERYTHING IS TRUE.

DTOM, please don't tell me you are a non de plume for Cmdrkeenkid, also a mod from the Detroit donut. If so, don't fine me again!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Actually, Realist, I believe you I just wanted to see a link so I could show my skeptical husband.

Cmdr and I are both mods and both live in SE Michigan. That is where the similarities end.
I am a totally separate human mod and also of the female persuasion.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
My friends from Commander's Palace, Antoine's and various low places in in the French Quarter have been comissererating by e-mail and phone; funny, but two have turned down hospitality in West Michigan. Where the politics are clean and the weather is cold.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The idea of sending federal dollars into any local government without some accountability is unbelieveable but true, and not only in New Orleans but in many places in this country. Probably in your state, if not your county, as well.

It most places it is related to county budgeting practices. I have written elsewhere about my introduction to this idea, but it goes like this:

The county sets a budget. If the jail is federally funded all the Commissioners Court need do is determine how much they can make by filling every bed in the jail every night to the tune of $100 federal dollars paid to the county per person. 72 people in jail each night at 100 federal dollars comes to $7200 per day or about $2.5 million over the course of a year.

In other words, if one fails to pay a parking ticket and gets a maximum sentence of 180 days, the county receives $18,000?!?

Federal law states this money is to see the inmates housed in safe and humane conditions and to meet their medical needs. Yet in the smaller counties, away from the investigative media, most of it goes for new patrol cars, training, pay raises, and miscellaneous expenses of various departments in county government.

Knowing this to be true, it does not surprise me that New Orleans and some other fine southern cities are being paid for phantom officers.

It reminds me of the Houston County, Texas joke.

When it was run by the Democratic sheriff who had several court verdicts against him, the suggestion was made of filling his federally funded jail with the dead so the county could collect the federal money and not spend a dime to feed them. And not have to deal with complaints.

New Orleans is not alone in the graft, hidden money, or phantom police department.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
After speaking with friends who live in NOLA or work there, I'm inclined to believe that most of the bad news coming out of there is true. Realist, I was commenting more on the fact that you say you were shocked. Louisianna has always had a reputation for having the best politicians and law enforcement that money can buy.

The Big Easy is also known as the Big Sleazy due to the corruption.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
An RCMP friend of mine of 30 years (mid-level commander) who just got back from NO volunteeer relief duty and I were drinkin' last night... conversation came around to this subject - I asked about deserters... He grimly looked me straight in the eye and said, "Don't mess with this - people have died - and will die over this issue" and later he asked me, "Hgs0, what if many of these so-called deserters only existed on paper?" (He is not an ATS'er) then he smiled and said, "Down there if you aren't cop - then you're a victim. Don't go lookin' cuz you won't like what's starin' back".
I dropped the subject - but I wonder how many other US jurisdictions are "run" the same way?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join