It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Of Penguins Mating In Minefields

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Minefields on the Falkland Islands are now mating and breeding ground for thousands of penguins. The penguins are too light to detonate the mines. Some 25,000 land mines remain after the Falklands war between Argentina and UK.

CNN: Penguins stay snug and secure in minefields

September 27, 2005

There's a mating ritual going on in the minefield.

Fortunately the would-be lovers are penguins, too light to detonate the deadly mines laid more than two decades ago during a war on the far-flung Falkland Islands.

Thousands of penguins and other feathered and amphibious friends choose to nest and rest in no-go zones. The British estimate that some 25,000 land mines, mostly sown by Argentine forces in the 1982 war with Britain, remain.

One of the mined areas is at Kidney Cove, a stunningly idyllic stretch of beach across from Stanley where four species of penguins -- gentoo, king, rockhopper and Magellanic -- show up every year.

One of their favorite spots is on the mined side of fences with "Danger Mines" and skull and crossbones signs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I never knew that something good could ever come out of minefields. Without the mines there would be tourists and livestock walking around there instead. The no-go zones secure that the penguins have a "nice" place to nest.

Related ATS Threads:
Huge Iceberg Threatens Antarctic Penguins

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
What an ironic solution to habitat protection.

And just when you think you've heard it all....

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Great find! Looks like it is working out well for these guys...let's just hope two overweight penguins don't get too hard and heavy over one of these mines

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Haha that's.... amazing. Funny that trough human intervention these pengiuns now have a "tourist -free" zone where they are left in peace.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
This is like the killing zone when there was a berlin wall. All nature flourished there as humans stayed away.

Now I read its happening around Chenobyl. The land is off limits to humans and the forests are alive with life.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

let's just hope two overweight penguins don't get too hard and heavy over one of these mines

I don't think there are any overweight penguins there. Not even lonely, overweight penguins. But if the number of overweight penguins outnumber the number of mines...

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
That might keep the "Oil" regimes from trying to drill there, for a little longer any how. Change the name to nature preserve and all is set.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Maybe this is some kinky penguin fetish, you know with the whole fear and danger thing. I bet I could get at least a Hundred Thousand from the Government to study this?

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
With all the mines being produced and laid down by armies that turn around and become a problem years later, why the hell can't they have an expiry date.

It should be simple enough to use an explosive that degrades over a set time period, or have an electrical detonator that runs out of battery power after a set time. Just leaving these killers in the ground for the future to worry about is criminal.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Just leaving these killers in the ground for the future to worry about is criminal.

Agreed.

And lest we forget:

Social cost of land mines in four countries: Afghanistan, Bosnia, Cambodia, and Mozambique

Children and Landmines

(Just a taste.)

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think Pentagon are planning to mass produce some new and "better" mines...

Originally posted by Hellmutt in Pentagon Poised To Resume Production Of Antipersonnel Mines

15-20,000 people are killed each year by landmines. But remember that most of the time the mines don´t kill but hideously maim and disfigure people (so those people are not within the 15-20,000 who are killed). A mine cannot distinguish between an armed soldier and an innocent child.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Minefields on the Falkland Islands are now mating and breeding ground for thousands of penguins

mating minefields?

what did the male penguin say to the female penguin after mating in the Falkland Islands?

that was a hell of a bang baby

or

I told you was about to explode

or

I told you I would rock your world.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Suicidal Penguins

Or nothing like doing it then getting blown up for doing it too hard -.-

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It wouldn't need to be an overweight penguin that would set off a landmine, merely a pair with the right vibrational frequency, or enough pounds per square inch of overpressure . . .

"it's not the size of your boat, it's the motion in the . . . KAPPOW !!!!"

Seriously, most nitrate based explosives get more sensative and potent over time; so it may not be a long-term good thing for penguins.

new topics

top topics

join