It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malungeons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Who are the strange people known only as the "Malungeons". They live in the high hills of Tennessee. Their were said to have been their before the American Revolution. They are a dark skined people with black hair, but an odd look about them. Some claim they are of Portuguese desent...

...has anyone heard of these strange people or know of more information?

They do have a website, but i'm not sure if it is correct...

www.melungeon.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have heard Elvis Presley was of malungeon descent. Not sure if its ever been proven but I heard that many times before.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The term "Melungeon" can actually refer to any of several different groups of people who inhabit a broad area east of the Mississippi River. They are said to be products of a union between various combinations of cultures and ethnicities. For example, many believe that the Melungeons are a combination of African, European and Native American ethicity. Other ethnic origins that have been put forward as the root of the Melungeons have included Portuguese, Turkish, Moorish, Arabic, Jewish and Scottish (Source - Wikipedia).

The Melungeons have often been referred to as the "lost people". This label probably stems from two sources. The first is a theorised origin of the word itself, which some have said stems from the Turkish word "Meluncan", meaning "lost soul". The other is the theory that the Melungeons are descendants of the lost colony of Roanoke, whose settlers disappeared in the late 16th century. This theory holds that the missing colonists interbred with the local Native American cultures, leading to the mixed ethnicity of the Melungeon peoples. Whilst I find this aspect of the theory to be somewhat exaggerated and unlikely, there have been credible arguments made that the Melungeons were originally of Spanish or Portuguese origin and later interbred with Native Americans (Reference 1; Reference 2; Reference 3). These arguments hold that the Melungeons may have been Spanish or Portuguese, including many Moors, who were fleeing the Spanish Inquisition by escaping to the Americas where they

almost certainly intermarried with Powhatans, Pamunkeys, Creeks, Catawbas, Yuchis, and Cherokees

Recent theories also highlight the possibility that the Melungeons were of Middle Eastern descent, which adds credibility to the theory that they are the descendants of Moors and ethnic Spaniards and Portuguese who travelled to the United States and interbred with local Native American peoples. It is also interesting to note that the Melungeons themselves seem quite proud of their "Indian" heritage and also that many of them referred to themselves as Portuguese, or "Portyghee" (Reference). The site you mentioned states that Melungeons were known by locals as a mixture of

white trash, renegade Indians, and runaway slaves

Prior to the late 20th century, the very existence of Melungeons as a distinct cultural group was somewhat debated. As the site you mentioned implies, their existence was more of a rumour then a verified fact:

A few generations ago, children in Tennessee, Virginia and surrounding areas were told, “If you don’t behave, the Melungeons will get you!” Many people grew up believing the Melungeons were simply an Appalachian version of the boogeyman – a fearsome and mysterious but mythical bit of folklore.

As this quote suggests, the term "Melungeon" has long been utilised to refer vaguely to the mountain peoples of the Appalachians. Even after the Melungeons were identified as a tangible cultural group, debate continued concerning whether or not they in fact represented a distinct ethic group or merely a distinct cultural group with attributes from a number of contributing ethnicities. Early anthropologists sometimes referred to the Melungeons as a distinct race, but modern anthropologists are virtually unanimous in declaring that classifying people by race is both prejudicial and grossly misleading. I agree with the current consensus that the Melungeons are the product of a variety of different ethnicities, most probably Spanish/Portuguese, Middle Eastern (Moors, for example), African and Native American, which have been combined through the unions of those people to form the Melungeon people. They do not represent a distinct ethnic group, but are, rather, a fascinating combination of at least two, and possibly a good number more, different ethnicities.

In modern times, a number of people seem quite eager to rediscover their Melungeon heritage. Now that anthropologists can state with certainty that the Melungeons are in fact real and not mere Appalachian boogeymen, the air of taboo that has surrounded these people has been largely lifted. This has also no doubt been due to the lifting of stigmas involved with "inter-racial" marriages and sexual unions.

For more information on the Melungeons, check out the following links:

Wikipedia - an excellent starting point, Wikipedia has a short but useful article on the Melungeons that goes into their theorised origins, as well as the origins of the word itself. It also lists different Melungeon groups and their locations.

Melungeons.com - a very difficult to navigate site which may be helpful if you are looking for more information on people's search for their Melungeon heritage. Might be a little harder to find solid info here, though.

The Melungeons - an excellent site with lots of pertinent information concerning the origins of the Melungeons. It also suggests further references for finding more info on the Melungeons, though none of them are internet links.

Melungeon Health.org - another useful site that goes into the ethnic origins of the Melungeon people. It also has an interesting section on distinct Melungeon physical characteristics. Be warned, however, that classifying people into specific ethnicities based on perceived or believed physical characteristics can sometimes backfire.

Hope this was useful, Boatphone.

[edit on 28/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well...I am of Europeon, Native, and African decent...very little African can be seen on my skin, just a bit more Native...so am I a melungeon? If it's any count, I know exactly where Scott County, VA is, because that's where the majority of my family is from. Hancock County, TN is just down the road from where I live now. I hope there is a melungeon scholarship...

[EDIT]: I live in Hawkins County, TN and I am related to the Collins clan...the picture that I saw of a "black man" this summer is seeming more like a melungeon these days...really wanting a scholarship now...

[edit on 10/1/2005 by petey_pongo23]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Okay...so the preliminary physical characteristics test says that I have a bump, ridge, shovel teeth, and sleepy eyes...wow...I reckon I'm melungeon...plus the diseases and illnesses that are characteristic of this group of people is highly similar to what I've experienced my entire life...

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

You have voted Jeremiah25 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Interesting...

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I have heard Elvis Presley was of malungeon descent. Not sure if its ever been proven but I heard that many times before.

Doubt it cause he was blond haired & blue eyed. He dyed his hair brown.
Interesting info though.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Boatphone

I am Melungeon ( Mullins ) from East Tn and was listening to Coast to Coast AM show with Travis Walton - Alien abductee (Fire in the Sky) and he mentioned the Melungeon Bloodline. Does anyone know the connection with Travis's story and the Melungeons? I have had encounters and would like to find how my bloodline is related.

This is part 3 of the interview www.youtube.com... He mentions Melungeons around 2 min 50 Seconds.

Please someone help me make this connection.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by outofbody

Sorry, that was part 4, this is part 3 with the Melungeon Reference at 3:00 www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I know I'm resurecting an old thread....this fascinated me considering my family orgins are of East Tenn...NC...WVA... and VA... I never heard of Melungeon but we were always Black Irish.... Never gave it a thought until my Aunt was diagnosed with Thalissemia (sp?)...being of German...Indian and Irish descent in Appalachia....one would wonder where this diesase comes from...this Disease comes from the Mediteranian...Many of my family members including my father get mistaken for Middle Eastern/Spanish...my father lived 3 years in Morrocco...and spoke fluent French/Arabic....he used to talk to us in Arabic...and rant as kids around my friends...and everyone use to think my dad was foreign..lol...but it goes to show you we are so mixed its amazing what we can find.

top topics

join