It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If We Were In a Totalitarian Society Who Would You Be?…

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
With all these conspiracy theories about the evil and powerful planning on bringing a new world order any time soon, I thought it was worth asking the question: “if we were in a totalitarian society who would you be. Think about this say within ten years from now we are in Big Brother Land. Cameras everywhere with instant facial recognition systems, microphones under public benches, the media even more uniform and propaganda like than it is now. It could world where the past and the future could be re-written everyday; or one where there is no need for that because anyone who doesn’t like what the government says is instantly picked up and sent to the detention camps dotted around our countryside. We’re talking big brother with a capital B. Never mind how we got there, ten years from now we are here. Say you’ve just come out of a coma or something like that.
Now with this North Korean sort of society in mind who would you be? Would you be one of the countless people getting arrested the whole time? The ones who are being executed or imprisoned for crimes that should not be criminal?
Or would you join with the Thought Police? Would you take whatever job it might be? Why not get yourself a job in the military? Work your way up and enjoy a middle class home on a peaceful pleasant street?
Look at me. I see myself as committed to the truth, a loyal fan of democracy and as someone who just wants a better world for everybody. I'm even prepared to support someone like Saddam if my reasons for doing so are real and a matter of truth.

But I'm only like this because I believe I can open my mouth without risking getting shot; that I can talk to people and try changing their views without risking my career prospects. I know the only thing that “threatens” me when I do these things is for me to accept their view or for them to accept mine.

But take away those freedoms and I will join them. I’ll be the guy in the Thought Police, the person who encourages others to join resistance movements against the state so I can turn them. If I was a Nazi I might prefer to be someone running the gas chambers than someone who’s been in one. And that was 60 years ago when there where more technological limits on what totalitarian governments could do.
If our government became totalitarian today; then with it being so powerful (with all its modern technology) and the human being so damn Neolithic I would have no purpose in resisting. Because resistance itself would be futile. Look at North Korea! The people there haven’t rebelled and their government has been mean to them for years. In fact I dare say that over 90% of people are co-operating because over the last few generations those who didn’t ether died are now dying in hard labour camps.
So what do you do when the world is authoritarian, when you are longer safe to express your own views or encourage others to think their own thoughts?
Do you become a peasant, or in a richer authoritarian society a low level “cog in the machine”? Or do you join with the government and work your way up?

Because to those of you who say otherwise; could you please tell me “what is so great about being a pile of bone?” What is it that would make you as an individual want to die fighting something that is too big for you? Because we aren’t talking a little too big here. We are talking about every other person who does co-operate with the state plus those who didn’t but got killed. Fact is people like me would threaten you all because we would pretend to agree with and any Resistance Movements before we handed the lot of you in “to justice”. Can you really tell me that in a modern, high level, totalitarian state (which is your own) that you wouldn’t co-operate with it?
And if so who would you really be? We me, or those we hunt?

Look at it this way: life might be good or bad in North Korea working for the government. But can anyone honestly tell me its better to be working against it? No of course not! Life can only be worse than it already is. If you’re capable of morality you might not want to die and leave the world without people like yourself. So why commit suicide by resisting the inevitable?
If the government wants to be totalitarian then once done totalitarianism is inevitable. Even in places like Communist Russia where these systems collapsed it’s a good historical not that reform always came from the height government, rather than the bottom. Only when led did the people revolt, and the leaders who led them always got their permission within. So remember that before you answer this question “American the Totalitarian Version: Who Are You Going To Be?”

df1

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hmmm I would be the flip side of your coin. While prending to support 'big brother' I would identify your kind to the resistance for appropriate action.

My choice is simple. Live free or die.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Life without freedom, is not life at all.

Anyone who sacrifices their morals, for material posession and power, is not the type of person who should have power in the first place.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If there was no one else depending on me, such as a wife or children, I would revolt against the government. But if I had personal responsibilties, then I guess I would conform and try to care for my loved ones as best I could.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlabonte401
Life without freedom, is not life at all.

Now its not freedom, it's the illusion of freedom. The freedom of someone can be measured by the lenght of his chains. So what's the lenght of yours?

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
The freedom of someone can be measured by the lenght of his chains. So what's the lenght of yours?

That is a very well put statement, and one I have never heard before. One I will have to tuck away for later use.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCFusion
If there was no one else depending on me, such as a wife or children, I would revolt against the government. But if I had personal responsibilties, then I guess I would conform and try to care for my loved ones as best I could.

But isn't the best thing for your wife/child, as much freedom as they can have? To live a life without fear?

---

To answer the question:

I believe we already live in such a society, the role I will play it in well...the walls came down.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

That's going to be me, the one that you're looking at.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
But isn't the best thing for your wife/child, as much freedom as they can have? To live a life without fear?

Oh, yes, absolutely! But in the scenario presented by Liberal1984, my mind set was along the lines that if I don't comply, my wife and children may be arrested, sent to 'the camps', tortured etc.

Of course I wouldn't want that, so, I would conform to whatever the government wanted and try and make life as livable as possible.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

If We Were In a Totalitarian Society Who Would You Be?…

I'd be the next dictator

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'd be a jack booted thug. Maybe 'aquire' a uniform from the nice men who come to my door and offer their services to my family. I would grab a military humvee and get my people out to a safe place, then return for any supplies I could procure.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I'd very slowly make my way to the outskirts of town, being a law abiding citizen. I wouldn't want to be in the heart of the city incase things went awry or we got nuked or anything... I'd want a back door.

[edit on 1-10-2005 by Mbuhir]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

You stole my thunder. That was exactly what I was going to say! Sure, I would want freedom and happiness for my family. But in the scenareo presented above, a revolt on my part wouldn't leed to their freedom but likely to their torture and death. Therefore, I would be left with no choice but to conform so that I can provide the safety and security that my family deserves. If I knew I could safely do it, and if I truly disagreed with my government's policies, then I probably would take every possible step to undermine their authority behind their backs. But the wife and kids will always come first. And the family pets, of course, but I consider them to be the kids as well!

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
very interesting point...it should make all of us wonder how we got into such a situation. as for me, well, i was part of the 'establishment', could have stayed there blah blah blah. knowledge is a very powerfull motivator especialy on the individual level. ignorence is truly bliss and that's the way MOST poeple WANT to live thier lives. once your eyes are open and your mind clear.........there is only one option.

but to live a future life..telling your kids and grandkids that you were there when the 'change' happened..you were an 'independant thinker', possiblly an outspoken person on the situation, you may even have had more acess to info than others,.. you voted, you posted, you marched, you wrote letters, you talked to others, you asked if there could be a better way.....your loved ones ask...'what did you do then?' your only response will be "nothing...i gave it all up so i can live on my knees with you.'

what a touching bed time story

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Oh, yes, absolutely! But in the scenario presented by Liberal1984, my mind set was along the lines that if I don't comply, my wife and children may be arrested, sent to 'the camps', tortured etc.

I do understand what you are getting at, however surely you should still try and push for a society without such a high level of fear. After all, it just takes one wrong word to get dragged away in such a society and children are prone to make such mistakes.

As well as most dictators have to use random people as a way to vent their anger and keep people inline.

Of course I wouldn't want that, so, I would conform to whatever the government wanted and try and make life as livable as possible.

But is it living doing everything that they want of you? Removing your ability for any free will and brainwashing your children?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

it just takes one wrong word to get dragged away in such a society and children are prone to make such mistakes.

In a twisted democracy like the one we're talking about, isn't everyone indoctrinated with pro-government thoughts and feelings?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Removing your ability for any free will and brainwashing your children?

Just out of interest... how do you remove fre will of everyone? You can't really hypnotize 60 million people or more that easily, can you?

otherwise, I would never support a totalitarian government. Unless I was the dictator and I actually made a kind dictatorship.

[edit on 1-10-2005 by apex]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well look at Nazi Germany. It gradually became a totalitarian government. Hitler first used violence, but when that failed he resorted to democracy and used the Burning of the Reichstag to come up with the enabling act. Also, he stirred up nationalist feeling to blame the Jews and other nationalities for the loss of World War One. It would be like Britain or America becoming anti-Islam and then getting rid of them, blaming them for the terroist attacks and loss of life overseas in wars. With a group in sight, it's possible to turn your people against them.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex

Removing your ability for any free will and brainwashing your children?

Just out of interest... how do you remove fre will of everyone? You can't really hypnotize 60 million people or more that easily, can you?

It is easier than people think.

It is just a case of teaching children one version of history and removing their access to alternative view-points.

We can actually see it now with terrorism and how so many people think it is an Islamic problem and forget groups such as Irgun or Levi.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao also used similar brainwashing tactics...

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

It is easier than people think.

It is just a case of teaching children one version of history and removing their access to alternative view-points.

We can actually see it now with terrorism and how so many people think it is an Islamic problem and forget groups such as Irgun or Levi.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao also used similar brainwashing tactics...

I know you can easily brainwash children, I have read 1984 but how would you do it with the rest of us? With terrorism it is mostly because people don't think about why the terrorists are doing it as if they have no cause and just do it because they are evil and they can. They actually have a motive, and a cause. Everyone seems to forget that fact.

(I do not in an way endorse the action of terrorists or al qaeda, or support them)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join