It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Alive ! The First photo of a living Architeuthis!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Just a little bit of neat information about the history of giant squids and where this one fits in.

Tusoteuthis and the Cretaceous Giant Squids

Painting by Dan Varner

Architeuthis and Mesonychoteuthis, the giant and colossal squid, are enigmatic and awe inspiring animals. Very little is known about the lifestyle of these spectacular animals, despite the examination of numerous corpses of Architeuthis, much of what we know about the animals’ behaviour and lifestyle boils down to educated speculation. What is not so well known is that these modern squid were not the first giant squid in the Earths oceans, we have tantalising remains of animals that were at least as large as these modern species that shared the oceans with the ammonites, mosasaurs, giant turtles and plesiosaurs about 80 million years ago during the Late Cretaceous period.

Breifly, as summarized by another person,

Architeuthis seems to be not at all related to the other forms of large squid known from Cretaceous fossils. The diagram showing
phylogeny and stratigraphy suggests that there is a whack of ghost lineage with this animal (but what else would we expect from this thing?).

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
...must post:

I feel much better now, thanks all.

Now we just need to photograph:

Anyone hungry for seafood? I am...

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rancid1
MSNBC now has a time lapse "video" of the thing.
msnbc.msn.com...

Grrrrrr, can't watch it from work.

Thanks for posting the video

Its a shame they had to injure the squid though. I mean did they really have to use a hook the poor thing had to rip on of its own arms off to get away after a 4 hour struggle.

<< 1  2   >>

join