It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Alive ! The First photo of a living Architeuthis!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I know the whalers used to catch sperm whales with HUGE sucker marks on them. IIRC 6-8 inches across in the biggest cases.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I remember that sperm whale on the truck! *lmfao* That was right before it exploded and blew chunks-o-whale all over the center of the city.

LoL! Yeah, that's the one! Actually this picture was after the whale exploded. You can see the blood and "chunks-o-whale" (
) all over the street in the pic...
The Article

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
I know it's not a real picture - but couldn't it be a display at a museum such as the one at the American Museum of Natural History? (AMONH Site

Oops, I guess you're right. It really looked like a painting to me but I guess it is a photo of a model in a museum. I live a few blocks from that museum, this must be a new exhibit I've never seen it before.

www.oceanlight.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

can any of you guys tell me if this is a real picture ?

I have seen a real video of an octopus fighting a shark before, but I don't think even a GIANT squid would be large enough to wrap around a whale like that. Not totally sure. Looks like a model, anyway.

And if they caught and chopped up this real giant squid, wtf. No wonder bigfoot and nessie won't come out of hiding. I don't think you'd want to be dissected either!
. I don't think humans can resist killing and prodding around on stuff. Why would they kill it before they even know if it's an endangered species or not?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
OMG!!!
Cthulhu has awakend! We're all going to die!!!!
No wait, that's not Cthulhu...

OMG!!!
It's the Kraken! We're all going to die!!!!
No wait, that's not the Kraken either...

OMG!!!
It's the Russians! We...

Ok seriously, that's great news, kinda scary animal too.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Excellent news! Biologists have been sure of the existance of this animal for a long time, but have struggled to find a live (and mature) one. Hopefully, this discovery will lead to more research into the depths of our oceans, and more discoveries.

I think it is safe to agree with people who say that most undiscovered life (aside from insects) live in the ocean. Here's to hoping that we put in a bigger effort to explore the depths.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Apparently the Giant Squid isnt the biggest Sqid type critter in the sea. Seems theres another called Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni. Much bigger than the Giant and capable of taking on a Sperm whale.

Link

So there is a lot more to discover in the deep blue yet.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Janus]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Finally a alive one is captured on tape.

Now all they need is to capture a living one.

Then we are down to lake monsters.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Did they capture/kill this thing? It doesn't say in the article, but in the last picture you can see a part of a giant squid. I'm not sure if it's the same one. If they did kill it then shame on them! I think it'd be interesting if we could attach some sort of tracking device to one of these creatures so that we could learn more about their travels.

to answer your question, they caught it on film as it fed from a baited camera at a depth of 900 feet. sadly, one tentacle got caught on the feeding stick and that is what you saw in the picture. I wonder if the squid is going to live thru the loss of the "arm"

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
*lmfao* at the reason so many people went to see that whale

seriously though, this is a really exciting find!! i saw the specimen at the smithsonian when i was little and have always wanted to see one alive, i was awestruck at the size of it.

--Kit.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Makes me wonder what these things are feeding on down there. It must take a massive amount of flesh to sustain them.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Such spectacular news this is!! Thanks for the excellent images and captures folks. I've been waiting a lifetime to see Architeuthis live in action, ever since watching 20K leagues under the sea as a tike. Also thanks to Janus for the colossal link, I wasn't aware of a Mesonychoteuthis Hamiltoni existence in the deep Antarctic. With the Arctic cap melting we might even hear from megalodon soon. Fascinating times.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Fantastic pictures. Maybe Jules Verne had a little more going than people gave him credit for. The one thought that keeps popping into my head is

HULA HOOP SIZED CALAMARI!!!! YUM!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I know the whalers used to catch sperm whales with HUGE sucker marks on them. IIRC 6-8 inches across in the biggest cases.

8 inch suckers would be far bigger then any known Giant Squid body
From bodies we have found they average 2 to 5 cm in diameter.

8 inches would suggest something like a 200-300+ foot Giant squid roaming around out there if you scaled it up

Now that fellow would deserve the name Kraken

Can such scars be accurate? I cant imagine a monster that big out there

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvaurynphamir
Makes me wonder what these things are feeding on down there. It must take a massive amount of flesh to sustain them.

They probabley just eat fish and other squid, because squid are often cannibals. Very disgusting I'd say.

Would be cool to see one of those in real life, as long as it or I am safley behind a few inches of glass.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I believe so. That would be something to watch out for, wouldn't it?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MooseT

Originally posted by Wolvaurynphamir

They probabley just eat fish and other squid, because squid are often cannibals. Very disgusting I'd say.

Would be cool to see one of those in real life, as long as it or I am safley behind a few inches of glass.

uhh, it'd need to be alot more than just a few inches in order to get me viewing that thing. what really chills me about it is its apparent speed. the japanese scientist on the cnn video was commenting on how 'swiftly' it attacked the bait. yes, it said that it lost the limb, but that it shouldnt be a life threatening injury.

man, what we still dont even know about the world we live on.

great find, btw!

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I believe so. That would be something to watch out for, wouldn't it?

Here we go... No indication of size though... From The Unmuseum

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
And there's a better picture released - posted in the Science forum...
Better pic

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
MSNBC now has a time lapse "video" of the thing.
msnbc.msn.com...

Grrrrrr, can't watch it from work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join