It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Could Men Conceive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Following hard on the heels of news that British physicians are planning to conceive a child with DNA from two women, we are confronted with the possibility that a man could conceive. Recently, a woman delivered a healthy child who was carried inside the woman's abdomen outside the uterus. Odds are put at 10 million to one that the child even survived and one doctor said that a man could not sustain a pregnancy without female hormone and would suffer "unpleasant side effects." The mother describes the baby as a beautiful child.

abcnews.go.com
A baby born outside of her mother's uterus is raising questions about whether or not men can conceive.

Today Emylea Tharby is a healthy 4-month-old, but there is only a one in 10 million chance that she is even alive.

"When we did the MRI, we put two and two together," said Dr. Renato Natale. "We couldn't see a uterus around the baby."

Emylea developed outside of the womb when a fertilized egg fell into her mother's abdominal cavity. The placenta that feeds the baby was planted outside of the uterus.

The baby was delivered during emergency surgery with minor disabilities.

"She's the most beautiful child I could ever dream of having," said Emylea's mother, Lia Tharby.

The successful pregnancy without a womb raises questions as to whether a man could one day become pregnant.

"Good Morning America" medical contributor, Dr. David Katz, weighed in on the debate. He said men would need the female hormones necessary to sustain a pregnancy.

"Could it be done? Yes," Katz said. "But there would be unpleasant side effects for a guy. I wouldn't rush off to try that."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, you know that now that the word is out that someone is going to try this. The doctor says that the man would need female hormones to sustain the pregnancy, but there are a bunch of men out there who are taking female hormones in order to live their lives as "women." "Oh, brave new world!

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
there is the old quip that if men could give birth abortion would become a scarament...
Having witnessed a woman give birth all I can say is you bet it would.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Having witnessed a woman give birth all I can say is you bet it would.

I second that, I've never seen something so gruesome. Makes you wonder why other mammals are able to go into the bushes and quietly give birth to several babies, while screaming humans need hospitals, doctors, and giant plastic bags.
I think a man would need a c-section though, otherwise we're at a severe disadvantage to women. I've heard of men passing out from passing a stone, imagine a baby. OUCH!

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Mothers I have known who have passed kidney stones have said that the kidney stone is far worse. Still passing a baby through the urinary tract would be hellacious for either a man or a woman. Surgery would, indeed, be necessary for a man, just as it was in the case of this woman, there being no way for the baby to access the birth canal.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Already been done...
doctors say the baby is coming along fine...

I dont know what would make this guy try this, but soon he will be a proud mother...

worlds first pregnant male

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

abcnews.go.com

"Good Morning America" medical contributor, Dr. David Katz, weighed in on the debate. He said men would need the female hormones necessary to sustain a pregnancy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

OMG! Could you imagine a man on female hormones. I've known a few men who've been on them while awaiting a gender change operation. It's not a pretty sight.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Already been done...

I dont know what would make this guy try this, but soon he will be a proud mother...

Wow, I had no idea. I'm surprised that didn't get more attention. Very disturbing, not on a religious basis or anything, it just doesn't seem natural. I imagine the child will have some psychological and social issues to deal with as well. Creepy.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Am i the only one who thinks there is something wrong with this?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Let's be serious...

The same hospital who impregnated him has a mouse with human cognitive abilities that we can CHAT with online, OR we can scan our genome and customise the genetic profile of our children. Give me a break.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Oh it's a joke.
I actually believed it too. I knew there would have been more coverage of such a thing. I guess I'd be somebody who thought it was totally cool to be chatting with a mouse too.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
urban legend... but is it?
is the link for the DEBUNK of the male pregnancy article... Sorry kiddies, I just browsed the original link, and didn't notice the disclaimer...

one thing though... the prochedure that the "artist" went through is accurate to what a real male pregnancy would require... so you can see that it would be a pain in the a$$ as well as many other body areas...

I doubt that it will ever happen, and that it ever should... but those two statments usually precede the actual event...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Can rubbish be conceived? oh yes by the diabolical minds among us. Damn! Of course men can't conceive, it's not natural, what a load of dung!!!

[edit on 27-9-2005 by crusader]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Mothers I have known who have passed kidney stones have said that the kidney stone is far worse.

I have, as yet, not passed junior through my urinary tract, Grady, but you are spot on for the pain associated with the passing of a kidney stone. The pain is excruciating and I never, ever, EVER want that to happen to me again.

God bless women...where on earth would we be without them?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Mothers I have known who have passed kidney stones have said that the kidney stone is far worse.

Quite true, my wife has had kidney stones while pregnant with each of our children. In fact she was in the hospital 2 weeks ago due to a pencil eraser sized stone. She was in the hospital longer for the stone than she was for the children.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikimaru
Am i the only one who thinks there is something wrong with this?

No you aren't.. I was just thinking...why would a man want to conceive?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Already been done...

This is a hoax site. If you read the WHOLE site including the disclaimers, you'll see that they TELL you it's a hoax.

Here's the Snopes article on the hoax:
www.snopes.com...

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Indellkoffer]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Lets see man has to take female hormones to have a baby, the same hormones that cause cancer no less :shk:

Just the thought of a man having a baby and wanting to clone babies wreaks of creating a new master race.

Sorry but I would not want to be part of that world:shk:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Lets see man has to take female hormones to have a baby, the same hormones that cause cancer no less :shk:

Male hormones cause cancer as well, testosterone plays a big role in prostate cancer. Plus we do have estrogen in our systems already, however progesterone is the pregnancy hormone, as far as I know we don't have any of that in our systems.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
But, you know someone is going to give this a try, sooner or later. It's lunacy. It goes against all common sense and clinical wisdom. It will put the life of the child and the host at risk, but some nincompoop will try it.

However, it is no more idiotic than for a man to have his genitals mutilated, take female hormones, have breast implants, and all the other radical surgeries required to live a "woman." After listening to the feminists for forty years, it has always seemed to me that any real woman trapped in a man's body would keep her mouth shut and make killing on all that male privilege.

new topics

top topics

join