It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPod? Get a subway map before its too late!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I wanted to post this here for all the people that DO have iPods. I recently read here about a copyright crackdown on the subway maps available from here:

www.ipodsubwaymaps.com...

I thought that these would be real handy to ATS readers in case of a disaster or something. You can also read about the legal issues coming up here:

www.wired.com...

Like I said, get them before its too late!

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That's awesome... I downloaded some of them on principle alone. No, I won't be putting them on my iPod. I'll be putting them on my far superior Samsung!

And the legal issues? They're just embittered by the fact they didn't think of it first!

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Corporations are trying to kill ingenuity and as such do everything they can to keep us down unless they can make a buck on it. It's sickening the time and effort wasted on trying to shut this guy down. It's a pointless exercise in futility. *steps down from soapbox

Thanks for the link Zed[....] - I don't have iphoto but that is beside the point.

I liked the first ep of that show as well.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
We all know that the punk kids on subways with iPods are all terrorists anyways.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Since when did a city run agency need to make profits from it's copyrights? And really, since when were they losing money on people having maps on their Ipods?

That is just flat out wrong of them to unleash copy right lawyers. *sigh* If only I had an MP3 player in the first place.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
couldn't everyone just take a digiphoto of their subway map and view it on whatever they want anyway??

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
or print out the subway page on their own site and use it for their own use!

this is quite absurd, would've loved to get a copy of the nyc map .. i'll see what i can mustard.

thanks for the link, didn't know about this before

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
couldn't everyone just take a digiphoto of their subway map and view it on whatever they want anyway??

That's still copyright infringment. It has to be original.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Ahh they closed the website down, is there another place I could get them?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hey I was gonna post this but I thought I would get introuble for the copy right deal on it. Whatever I guess I snoozed and loosed?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

What? I can have a photo of a subway map that I took, thats not copyright infringement.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by sardion2000

What? I can have a photo of a subway map that I took, thats not copyright infringement.

It's considered a reproduction just like this guy is doing. Is it in writing that they waive this right? If they don't and it's Copyrighted then no you cannot. I don't agree with it but I believe that is the letter of the law.

Allthough just to spite em I'd probably do it

[edit on 28-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
From what i heard he is about to put out another version. The way to get around this is to "map" it yourself. Thats what he is goin do. Not use the same legend or colors. Its not illegal to map the subway yourself and then offer the service you jsut did. IS IT???

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'm a Chicago person but I listen to the NY WBAI radio station online. I heard (on the 2600: Off the Hook) program that there are apparently spot searches going on by police. Are they really stopping people and asking to "search" them? Apparently you can just refuse...probably easier if you're "obviously" American. (typical ploy by law enforcement, act like they have the right to do something that they don't while trying to get your permission so THEN they DO have the ability to do it.)

Sorry if I'm OT but the NY subway seems to be getting ridiculously monitored: No camera policy (T/F?), searches, on and on. Now this insanity over maps. (Burroughs was right...humanity has stopped evolving...no wonder the aliens are messing around.)

I swear we will all be wearing masks for "privacy" within 5 years.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

new topics

top topics

join