It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Demonstrators Arrested.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
www.sky.com...

"Several peace protesters have been arrested after staging a sit-down protest in front of the White House in Washington."
SKY NEWS

This may not be in the correct place, but it is about the war, so...

I think this is more suppression of anyone opposed to the war against terrorism. Why are people not allowed to protest peacefully? Are they really causing so much trouble for the US Government that they need to be arrested as an example to others who are thinking of protesting?

"Sergeant Scott Fear of the US Parks Police, which looks after the zone around the White House, said the demonstrators did not have a permit.

"A majority of them wanted to be arrested. They will be charged with demonstrating without a permit," he said. "
SKY NEWS

Is this true, that you need a permit to protest in front of the US place of government? Where should they protest? Somewhere where no one is taking any notice?

Soon there will be no voices of dissent, and GWB will be free to wage his war all over the world without fear of reprisals from his own people.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This is unreal

you need to apply for a permit befor you can protest in front of the whitehouse.

As soon as the government see's a permit application form for a anitwar protest infront of the whitehouse, they'll just refuse it.

What a Joke the US Government has become.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall

Is this true, that you need a permit to protest in front of the US place of government? Where should they protest? Somewhere where no one is taking any notice?

Do I need a permit before I engage in free speech activity?

Not usually. However, certain types of events require permits. Generally, these events are:

1) a march or parade that does not stay on the sidewalk and other events that require blocking traffic or street closure;
2) a large rally requiring the use of sound amplifying devices; or
3) a rally at certain designated parks or plazas, such as the Boston Common.
Many permit procedures require that the application be filed several weeks in advance of the event. However, the First Amendment prohibits such an advance notice requirement from being used to prevent rallies or demonstrations that are rapid responses to unforeseeable and recent events. Also, many permit ordinances give a lot of discretion to the police or city officials to impose conditions on the event, such as the route of a march or the sound levels of amplification equipment. Such restrictions may violate the First Amendment if they are unnecessary for traffic control or public safety, or if they interfere significantly with effective communication with the intended audience. A permit cannot be denied because the event is controversial or will express unpopular views.

Thats straight from the ACLU

www.aclu-mass.org... egal_issues/free_speech_and_assembly/your_rights_to_demonstrate_and_protest.html

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
No, but you need a permit before protesting in front of the capital, and possibly disrupting government operations in the ares, sorry this is just common sense, not about freespeech.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
To me it feels like they are shooting at the pianist...

If you Lie to the public about the reasons for goign to war (jeopardising the lives of thousands of young americans and wasting the lives of even more innocent Iraqi's) then it's going to come back in your face, logic isn't it. War is bad, that's a fact ! Especialy if that war is based on totaly bogus reasons. Afganistan or Iraq surly cound't have been a thread to the greatest military on earth right ...?

This is truely sad , when people who speak out against WAR are arrested for it.... to me it's yet another symptome of a very ill American society.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 27-9-2005 by XyZeR]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I saw this event on the news and that article makes it seem like it was only a few people when infact it was hundereds of people.

Protesters cannot block normal traffic or pedestrian traffic without a permit nor can they block entrances to buildings to passers-bys.

Certain areas such as the Whitehouse require permits but by law a permit cannot be denied because the event is controversial or will express unpopular views.

The "Impeach Bush Rally" was able to obtain permits to rally on both sides of the White House and secured the first march permit in years to go on Pennsylvania Avenue directly in front of the White House.

www.cannabisculture.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Ok so the government can't deny a protest permit on the grounds of being unpopular or controversial? Oh dear what a shame? I guess terrorism will just have to do. I mean what if one of those protestors was a suicide bomber, or Bin Laden for that matter?
Personally I think its about time the government cracked down on threats to national political stability. In this age physically protesting against war has got to be one of the dumbest ways of expressing yourself imaginable. Why do it? When did the government last pay attention to anti war lot hay? Give me a real example!!!
So far the best response in England has been to stop protesting outside Westminster partly because MP's thought the site of one man (who had been doing it for a few years) looked untidy (which it did).
Street protestors probably have more confidence in our democracy than the most right wing bigot imaginable. Nobody listens, it gives the impression of doing something but always achieves nothing. Allowing protesting in this country at all is just a way of allowing people to carm themselves down. I would recommend it as political stability aid to China, Saudia Arabia; infact any dictatorship (accept on security grounds of course). Because dictatorships unlike democracies (like the United States) are so unpopular with the people that it’s just not safe for them to allow such things (e.g. encase there really was a suicide bomber in the ground). Get it?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
They were allowed to protest all they wanted to, loudly or peaceably----as long as they did not block vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic.....

....which they did.

They were warned to NOT sit down, to NOT block access, to NOT impeded any traffic. But that was not on their agenda. Mizzzzzz Shehack wanted to piss on her sons grave once again, what better way than to get arrested for being stupid right in front of the White House?

She did, and she was.

You know, many people in Mizzzzz Shehack's camp have deliberately glossed over, or ignored the FACT that Casey Shehan joined the Army during Klintons reign of shame. If he was----according to Mizzzz Shehack-----so against the war and the Bush Government.....how did THAT happen? Again, if Casey was so terribly liberal in his views of America, why did he re-up with the express concern to be sent to Iraq? Why did he volunteer to be in the lead gun-truck?

I can tell you. He was NOTHING like he weak-minded Mother.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
In contrast to my last post I think the actions of the White House sound quite reasonable. Sorry about the last post i was getting my facts of here for some reason.
But "Army" There was an interesting case in England where arms protestors where arrested and sent back home on a bus without trial under anti terrorist legistation. This happend about two years and was completely out of order. So I just assumed the same thing was happening in the United States.
But if she's peaing on the grass then obviously the Whitehouse won't need anti terrorist legistation to arrest someone like her. Instead they could try doing it on animal welfare grounds!!!
Thanks for the info "Army" I really needed it.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Big Deal... it has not been the first time protestors have been arrested and it wont be the last one...If you ask me, they knew they would bearrested and did for the publicty.. So they go down the station get processed and bailed out ... boo hoo... big deal!

heh

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I saw some pics of poor Crazy Cindy "Squeaky" Sheehan getting arrested. She looked like she was having a big "O". She wanted a photo op and got it. Most of these are staged liberal media photo ops anyway. Half the time they crop the photos to make them look more legit... this is a classic one...

newsbusters.org...

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Apoc]

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Apoc]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
A motherprotesting the unjust war her son died in is now labeled crazy.

yeah nice one! Good to american civilization hasnt completely gone done the crapper!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
So am I to assume that unlss you are pro-war and a Bu#e then you are a deranged protestor?

I cannot believe what I am reading on here. There seems to be no end to the war supporters belittleing those who wish to speak out against something that they do not believe in. Does it make you feel good? To attack someone because of their beliefs?

Maybe they should have applied for a permit. That does not give people the excuse to diminish what they are protesting about.

"Army" - that was some rhetoric BS you posted there....you sound like a programmed robot..is that what the army does? So anyone that doesn't join the army is weak minded now? Get a grip and wake up to the fact that the war is unpopular to everyone except those who have been brainwashed by the Bush administration.

What about all those kids who are dying over in a foreign land? Are you happy to send more over to their deaths before they reach their 18th birthday? Do the mothers of these kids not have the right to express their anger at the way Bush is sending their kids to die for oil and power? Are these mothers weakminded?
Maybe these mothers need a dissenting voice like that of Cindy Sheehan to unite them and to give them the strength to stand up and be heard. I know nothing of this Cindy Sheehan, but it seems that she is annoying the war supporters a bit....is that why you belittle her?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Truck Drivers in Australia recently had a good idea for protesting sky rocketing oil prices which is costing them a fortune and ruining trade - they simply gathered in large numbers in their trucks and blocked the major highway connecting Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle and Sydney for a day.

Those are protests the governments are forced listen to, they need to be hit where it hurts and that's in the pocket. Getting them to actually do something thou is slowly slipping further into the world of only happening with a revolution.

Unfortunatly, the peace protests with signs and speaches do nothing to sway opinion unless they are MAJOR events. They run the risk of hired anarchists showing up to make sure the headlines focus on a few arrests rather than the message and are also joined by undercover police posing as protesters and press (which used to be against the law i think, but now is OK under the Patriot Act).

The grunts in Industry need to protest and strike and people need to become more independent in general. It all stems back to education, learning how not to bite the advertisers apple and be tricked into believing you need things you really don't.

Time to bite the nipple rather than sucking on the teat.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall

"Army" - that was some rhetoric BS you posted there....you sound like a programmed robot..is that what the army does? So anyone that doesn't join the army is weak minded now? Get a grip and wake up to the fact that the war is unpopular to everyone except those who have been brainwashed by the Bush administration.

Rhetoric BS? Which part is BS? Please show me where I made anything up? I said the truth. If that is rhetoric to you, then you have more pressing needs to take care of.

BTW, I've been in the US Army 18 years. Hardly enough time to be brainwashed by GW, don't you think?

What about all those kids who are dying over in a foreign land? Are you happy to send more over to their deaths before they reach their 18th birthday?

Again, better check yourself. NO US SOLDIER is under 18 years of age and in Iraq. NOT ONE.

We are ALL VOLUNTEERS (better go look that big word up, it just may surprise you), every last one of us, and we knew right from the beginning what joining the military may mean. NOBODY is being sent to their death. The US Military personel, being ENTIRELY VOLUNTEER, has accepted the fact that war may be inevitable at any time during our careers. Basically, we asked for----we got it.

Do the mothers of these kids not have the right to express their anger at the way Bush is sending their kids to die for oil and power?

If the war was about oil, why am I still paying nearly $3.00 a gallon? And how does a growing Democracy in Iraq, give anyone BUT the Iraqis any power? Mizzz SheHack is no longer grieving for Casey, she is a extremist liberal tool that has, by her own actions, destroyed her marriage and driven away her other two children. She insists, that is what Casey would want......sad. Mizzzz SheHack already met with President Bush at Ft Lewis last year. At that meeting, she expressed that Mr. Bush was genuinly saddened that her son died. She was moved enough to hug and kiss him.

Talk about doing a 180! Where is her understanding and love now?

Are these mothers weakminded?
Maybe these mothers need a dissenting voice like that of Cindy Sheehan to unite them and to give them the strength to stand up and be heard.

Letting Mizzz SheHack be a voice for grieving mothers, is like letting Teddy Kennedy teach your young daughter to swim under a bridge.

You want to lump all Mothers of deceased Soldiers into the same pile of liberal-based shame that has consumed Mizzzz SheHack. I, on the other hand, want to salute them.

I know nothing of this Cindy Sheehan, but it seems that she is annoying the war supporters a bit....is that why you belittle her?

You are correct, you know nothing about this woman. Before you jump into this pool, it would behoove you to educate yourself on its depth.

She is not annoying, but an embarrasement to society. Whatever I may say that seems belittling, is nothing more than holding her up to a mirror.

She lies. She shames. She pisses on her sons memory.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Army, firstly, I didn't say that Bush brainwashed the army, I claim that the US army turns you into robots, who spout the same lines whether it be for Bush sr, or Clinton or Bush jr.
Being in the army for 18 years makes my point...you have been programmed to agree with everything the CinC says and not question anything...do not use your brain for logical thought...just kill kill KILL anyone who gets in the way!

OK, to your arguement about VOLUNTEERS....do you agree that for a lot of these volunteers, that there is no choice? It is either laze about on welfare, or join the military, earn better money, and hope there is no serious conflict to be involved in. However, as stated above....these kids are turned into killing robots.

You are paying $3 a gallon, because the big corporations know that you will pay it. This in turn lines their pockets, making more and more profit for them. The war makes all the bigwigs money....who gets the rebuilding contracts? Who gets the weapons contracts? Check out these companies links to BushCo, and the rest. Use your brains to see who is coming out of this with a big fat wallet and a smile? Do you really think the Iraqis want you there? I do not see the democracy in Iraq that you do...maybe you are actually believing the state controlled media?

All I see is a country in tatters, there are more attacks on the US now than during your so called war.

And, did you really believe the government when they said there were WMDs?......going a bit OT there, sorry.

You call this woman an "extremist liberal tool". This really does say something about your view of anyone who doesn't agree with the party line. If all you can say about this woman is derogatory comments like this and "Mizzz SheHack", then I pity you for not having the balls to see both points of view.

Finally your remark "She lies. She shames. She pisses on her sons memory" is amazing.

Lets look at GWB since he took office.....He Lied, he Shamed, He pisses on the memories of all the US armed forces that have died for his phoney wars....

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
A mother protesting the unjust war her son died in is now labeled crazy.

she is not in it for her son, or at leats not anymore. She may have started this for heer son, but now its all about her and the party injecting money behind her.

She said it herself "why arent the media focusing on me ? The hurricaine happens, it was juts alitle water and litle wind. There are worse things in the world"

what a statement form a mother who is supposed to be hurting.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Although I think they should protest untill their hearts content.. you do need the permits. I work about 3 blocks from the Whitehouse. The permits allow for the local police to redirect traffic so that people are not 4 hours late to work due to a march walking down the road. Traffic down here was a nighmare when they marched by and it was hosed for hours.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Public protests in a democracy are a joke. They are done for no other reason than to make the protester feel better about himself/herself and for the social aspect of hanging out with other like minded selfish dolts. If you don't like the way some aspect of gov is running then vote your people in. If not enough people think like you, then you will lose and you have to suck it up... or move. I stand by my "Crazy" Cindy comment. I read and heard enough of her drivel to know see is not playing with a full deck. There is a reason why the rest of her family has disowned her. That being said, W has no greater ally than her. If that is the face and ideals of his oppostion, he could get elected for 3 more terms if it was possible.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Apoc]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Army, firstly, I didn't say that Bush brainwashed the army,

Get a grip and wake up to the fact that the war is unpopular to everyone except those who have been brainwashed by the Bush administration.

Well, since you have been revealed as a liar, there is no sense in my further posting with your involvment on this subject. I gave you the truth, you needed to lie and distort to make a non-point.

buh-bye.

<<   2 >>

join