It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jalapino Hot Sauce, For Canning.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I want to put into print my recipe for a great hot sauce that you can process into jars, and keep to use at your pleasure through the year. (or the next...)

The recipe is very flexible, and it tended to change depending on what was ripe in the garden.

I'll run down the list of ingredients first:

The Veggies....

30-40 Med. Tomatoes (I like the Italian varieties with less moisture)
20-30 Jalapino Peppers (slice them up, seeds and all)
2-3 Sweet Red Peppers (Bell or Shepard, take the seeds out)
5-10 Hot Red Peppers
3-4 Med. Onions
1-2 Cups Frozen Corn
Garlic At Your Discretion. (I like lots)

The Spices....

4 Tbsp. Pickling Salt
1 Tbsp. Mustard Seed
1/2 Tbsp. Dill Seed
1/2 Tbsp. Celery Seed
1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
1/4 tsp. Ground Clove

Other Stuff....

4 Cups Pickling Vinegar (7%)
2 Cups Sugar
6 Tbsp. Corn Starch

Blanch, core and peel the tomatoes, chop into cubes and start heating on low in a large pot. But hold back 6 firm tomatoes for later. also chopped into cubes

Chop, slice or dice all the other veggies to the desired size, depending on how chunkie you like your hot sauce. And set this aside in a large bowl.
The bowl should have about 6 tomatoes, all the peppers, the onions, the garlic and the corn. Mix it all together with 1 of the Tbsps. of the Pickling Salt and let stand on the counter.

After all this chopping and slicing the tomatoes in the pot should be getting close to the boiling point.
Add in all the spices, including the other 3 Tbsps. of coarse salt. (not in a bag, just throw them in the pot)
Let simmer on low for 1/2 hour.

After the simmer, turn the heat up to medium-high and stir in the Pickling Vinegar (7% acid), and all the Veggies that are in the bowl.

Stir the bottom gently so that nothing sticks as it comes to a boil.
During the heating process, strain off 4 cups of the liquid and put into a seperate sauce pan. Put the pan on Med. and whisk in the 6 Tbsps. of Corn Starch.
Strain liquid and starch back into main pot to thicken up the sauce.

Simmer for an additional 1/2 hour, making sure it isn't sticking to the bottom, and the Veggies have a chance to cook. (don't over cook, you want a little crunch to the peppers and onions)

Last thing to go in is the sugar.
Stir well and bring to a boil as quickly as possible without burning the bottom.

Remove from heat and ladel into hot, sterilized jars. Seal fingertip tight and process in a water bath canner for 10 min. at a full boil.

Remove from water and let stand on the counter to cool.
Make sure every jar sucks down the lid and has a good seal.

I've made this many times and it always turns out good.
If you try it, let me know how it goes.
If you have any questions, let me know....... Good Luck.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Sounds like it would be good for tacos, I might try it sometime. How long should you wait until opening a jar for use?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
You can use it the same day you make it, and I always throw one jar in the fridge for immediate hot sauce necessities.
Plus, I like to try the new batch.......

I do find that after a few months in the cold cellar, the sauce matures and the flavors have a chance to blend. It does get better with age.

And it's great on tacos.

I like to brown a large rooster in goose fat and put it into a roasting pan.
I dump a jar of hot sauce over the bird and roast it in the oven for 2-3 hours on medium-low heat.
When you open that roast pan, MMMMMMMMMM...........

[edit on 27/9/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

i too make a hot sauce... I use canned tomatoes, cilantro, onion, lime juice, jalapeno peppers...... I do not cook it though... Any suggestions on how I would jar it to sell it?

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join