It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Limewire troubles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
(running limewire 4.9.30 non-pro)

After turning on my computer and running limewire one day, my computer 'forgot' all of the progress it has made on its downloads. For example, a file that was previously set at 80% complete now says 0% complete. This happened to all incomplete downloads. The incomplete files still remain on my hard drive, but limewire refuses to see them. I noticed that my downloads.dat file was 0k and my downloads.bak file was still intact, so I copied the .bak over the .dat file, hoping that the .bak contained the info, but this did not do anything. I tried going into Library - Incomplete and resuming all of the files, but this did not restore the downloads.

How do I get limewire to recognize that my files are still in the -incomplete- folder? Limewire is trying to restart all of my downloads from scratch, some of which have been going for weeks. I'm not a very happy camper right now...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
let it go....... this sort of thing happens. But then, Limewire has not had a major update in quite some time. Might I suggest you download Shareaza which just release it's first update in a year, Shareaza 2.2., which came out earlier this month.

Shareaza downloads from numerous sources simultaneously and it allows the user to select hosts in numerous different locales.

One other thing, I hope that you are using Peer Guardian to block fake files and probing eyes. A friend of mine who also lives in Canada recently was contacted by his ISP -- Rogers' -- to inform him that he was downloading copyrighted material. Had he been using Peer Guardian, he probably could have saved himself this little intrusion into his privacy.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Thx for responding, Tyrant. This is actually the first problem I've had with limewire since I got it in about June or July. I had my dad take a look at it, but he couldn't fix it, either. So what I did was to re-submit my searches and start again from scratch. I might check out Shareaza, but I don't have any plans to switch p2p's, unless limewire does this again.

As for Peer Guardian, I've never heard of it, and I'm going to check it out right now. I don't know if my ISP looks for downloading copyrighted material, but they haven't said anything yet to me. I don't have any problems with fake files; most of the stuff I download isn't something people try to fake, but the 'probing eyes', well, I don't really care if anyone knows what I'm downloading or not, but I'd rather not upset my ISP if I can help it.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Be sure to check this thread out.

Warning to P2P users.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Be sure to check this thread out.

Warning to P2P users.

Good advice. I never, ever, download any *.exe files, though, for this very reason.

Also, I looked into Peer Guardian, it seems there are some issues with the company splitting up into two entities, and there are essentially two versions of the software now, and no one is sure if either are safe, anymore, so I'm going to wait a bit on this one.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Looks like its time to try a new one, I recommend emule-project.com or bitlord.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I had a simerler problem, so i put in a serch for Limewire Pro in Limewire and dowloaded that for free. I have had no other problems.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have been using Limewire for several months now and have never had a problem. Every download is complete and high quality, unlike Ares where everything is static.

Spyware is non-existent with this program I find so I have no complaint whatsoever.

top topics

join