It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire 101st Airborne Division Deploying to Iraq

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I wish my little brothers in the screaming eagles a safe tour

He will be just fine Amuk. My cousin was a screaming eagle for.....7?years. He just got out in Jan. The screaming eagles are the only non marine military men that the marines trust and respect. People say marines are psychos because they are broken down and rebuilt trained to kill. The screaming eagles wernt broken down, they just love what they do. They are truely bad a**. They stick together and will do anything it takes to protect each other. I applaud your little brother, and pray for his safe return.

As for what they are doing there, I know they are replacing my nefu. Not that I know anything else, because I dont, but I would bet my house that they are going into Iran. I just really hope they send my nefu home and dont keep him over there. He is National Guard, and works on all the helecopters. I would almost bet that he signs up to go back after they send him home.

Anyway some mentioned that this was a scheduled rotation. I know they were scheduled, but they also knew a few months ago, and told the soldiers that there would be no leave after September ? I think 8th. What I am trying to say is that just because it is scheduled does not mean anything. They dont just say "hay lets go invade iran today" it is planned and scheduled. They do not send the 101st over for nothing. They have been in Iraq twice since it started. For the shock and awe, for 6 months and with in a year after they returned from that they were there for over a year. Before that they were in Afghanastan for operation annaconda.

My heart goes out to all of our millitary men and all their families. You will always be in our prayers.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by mrsdudara]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Lets not all forget something here: Iraq is still a war zone, why not make sure every troop gets to play an inning? Its like a baseball game, bottom of the seventh and you are up 10, why not get everybody on the bench into the game? Its good training and experience. All full time active duty troops should get a little time in Iraq.

Besides: More conflict is coming, they need the additional training and battle experience.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Its like a baseball game, bottom of the seventh and you are up 10, why not get everybody on the bench into the game?

It is nothing like a game. War is not a game. It's not something everyone wants to play. It's a serious life and death issue. Real, mature soldiers are not chomping at the bit to get out there and shoot up some Eye-rackis. That mindset is reserved for the people who are safe in their living rooms and will never be in a position to find the courage to fight for their country.

This is just my opinion, but your 'game' analogy turns my stomach.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It is nothing like a game. War is not a game. It's not something everyone wants to play.

Please, stop with that, you know full well what I mean and I know its not a game. You should be ashamed of yourself for calling me on that, cheap shot.

Its called an "analogy". Look it up.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
No its not a game. But as has been mentioned the experience is invaluble. I believe thats why in the Vietnam conflict Officers were only required to do a six mnth tour so they could get as many officers as possible through the Vietnam experience, i may be wrong on that but it does make sence.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
next October there is a constitution referendum and the Iraqi elections in December, also they just extended the tour to almost 10,000 troops. so its in response to expect attacks by Zarqawi's group and other organizations to prepare to disrupt this process coming up. look in the news.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This might be off the subject, but a few min. after I posted what I did, My computer and my digital cable both out of nowhere shut off and restarted itself all by itself, did some wacky things. computer is through sbc digital cable is through comcast. Two computers totaly unrelated to each other up and shut down and restarted at the same time.

So to make it clear and protect my buttox, I really know nothing about the subject!!!!! I all I know is what my dreams tell me. I am a big crazy person, dont listen to anything I say. OK mr. federal agent guy? Please dont mess with my computer again, it creeps me out.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
War Games

I think thats exactly how the majority of the Americans think of War: as one, big, well media covered, sports event. Now our Cowboys are being pinned down on their Home field and its the last quarter.

OR like a Computer game: especially the pilots of the combat aircraft and helicopters. They dont have anything personal anymore to see in Wars, just little blimps and boxes and dots and numbers. They dont see people dying down there, they see how the "Target was Eliminted" from a distance of 30 miles with a satellite guided bomb.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
War Games

I think thats exactly how the majority of the Americans think of War: as one, big, well media covered, sports event. Now our Cowboys are being pinned down on their Home field and its the last quarter.

OR like a Computer game: especially the pilots of the combat aircraft and helicopters. They dont have anything personal anymore to see in Wars, just little blimps and boxes and dots and numbers. They dont see people dying down there, they see how the "Target was Eliminted" from a distance of 30 miles with a satellite guided bomb.

thats yer view of wat u think Americans see as war. im sure pretty much all Americans know it aint no game.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
thats yer view of wat u think Americans see as war. im sure pretty much all Americans know it aint no game.

Sadly for you - an American told me that once.

So its not MY opinion, but Your, American...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

[Sadly for you - an American told me that once.

wat did the American say to u?

trying to insult my nationality eh?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

[Sadly for you - an American told me that once.

An American told me that You consider War as Sports - and skippy also prooved my theory by comparing Iraq to a baseball game.

If you find that insulting.....

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

An American told me that You consider War as Sports - and skippy also prooved my theory by comparing Iraq to a baseball game.

If you find that insulting.....

maybe u should post the rest of his quote.

Iraq is still a war zone, why not make sure every troop gets to play an inning? Its like a baseball game, bottom of the seventh and you are up 10, why not get everybody on the bench into the game? Its good training and experience. All full time active duty troops should get a little time in Iraq.

Please, stop with that, you know full well what I mean and I know its not a game. You should be ashamed of yourself for calling me on that, cheap shot.

its more like Skippy comparing baseball game to a rotation of deployment of troops for experience and training.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thank you Delta, I have Souljah on igore because thats what I think his opinion is worth. I really hope someday he will add me to his ignore list...

But for these guys to jump on me making the ole' "War is not a game" cliche just shows me how petty and shallow of thought they are. It really is a cheap shot.

Sending active duty troops to Iraq is logical and smart. Every active duty US soldier should be sent to Iraq at one point or another for the experience.

And my analogy is dead on and fits the situation perfectly, and whoever doesnt see that needs to dust up a bit in the old attick if you gather my meaning.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
War is not a game

take it from someone who has had another persons brains splattered over them. take it from someone who has watched people die crying for there mothers/wifes/girlfriends. take it from someone who has two purple hearts and has had a hole the size of your fist shot through his chest and lost half a lung. take it from someone who has killed more people than he cares to thank about. Take it from someone who still wakes up screaming 35 years later. Take it from an old screaming eagle

maybe its a game to you but its damn sure not to those who are living it

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Amuk, although skippytjc's analogy was a poor one his point is a valid one. The experience that the troops will recieve in Iraq will be invaluble for both officers and men that will stand them in good stead for years to come. Im sure he meant no offence to yourself or any other veteran, something i fell foul of myself earlier in this very thread. Sometimes we write things before thinking them through, im a veteran myself of Northern Ireland and the Balkens, i do understand to some extent what you mean, but as i say im sure skippytjc meant no offence.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Janus]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
War is not a game. I never said it was a game. I am out right shocked that some of you cannot see the value of this analogy. Shocked.

I also notice the people that are trying to crucify me on my analogy are the ones who typically don’t like me and attack me regularly, go figure.

But, as some have said pertaining to my analogy, it’s a simple association with the rotation of troops (players) in the action at the most opportunistic times to gain the best exposure to the action to gain experience.

Again: Perfect analogy, if you "Skippy haters" want to run with it, go ahead.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Im not sure if the last post was directed at me skippytjc, i dont hate or dislike you at all. Infact i understood you analogy straight away and have tried to defend you on it. Like i say im not sure weather it was directed at me or not

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Again: Perfect analogy, if you "Skippy haters" want to run with it, go ahead.

Skippy, you're like the US. You treat everybody like total crap and then act all persecuted and victimized when they take you to task. We don't hate you for your freedom or for any other reason. But you're the FIRST person to attack others' analogies. If you cannot take it, then I suggest you stop dishing it out.

Think about your interactions on the board. What you reap, you will sow, dude. And just like the US, if you treat people like crap, you shouldn't be shocked when people don't hold back.

Most people, I would simply disagree, but because of your viciousness in the past, I dont have any compunction about giving you both barrels.

Your analogy has some good points. Rotating troops in a war is a Good Thing. Giving those troops who have been over there for 2 years a break is a Good Thing.

But statements like "why not make sure every troop gets to play an inning?" and "why not get everybody on the bench into the game?" just sit wrong with some people. It sounds light-hearted and almost fun. Like a game.

You're not wrong. We just disagree. It makes me sick to think of war in those terms.

Can we move on?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Skippy, you're like the US. You treat everybody like total crap and then act all persecuted and victimized when they take you to task. We don't hate you for your freedom or for any other reason. But you're the FIRST person to attack others' analogies. If you cannot take it, then I suggest you stop dishing it out.

Think about your interactions on the board. What you reap, you will sow, dude. And just like the US, if you treat people like crap, you shouldn't be shocked when people don't hold back.

Seriously, what kind of point are you trying to make? For some reason all this bickering sounds more like you all are dissing the US rather than his analogies! It is a fairly easy point to get. Come on, lay of him.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join