It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cindy Sheehan Under Arrest

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
My God, this is exactly what she wanted. It's just perfect. Didn't you see her smiling as she was carried away?

Yes, I'm sure it is what she wanted. Why not smile when she's getting exactly the attention she's been working for?

She has also said that she was having a good time with friends, she was nervous about 'flashing' America and she felt hopeful that all her work might be actually getting the movement somewhere.

It does look strange to see her smile. Think of all the pictures you've seen of her. She always looks so somber, worried, sad and tired. No wonder the smile sticks out so much, not many people have seen it. But I'm not going to fault her that. I'm glad she can smile. It's probably been a long time since since she's been this happy.

Half of America is attacking her for 'smiling'. That's really sad.
The message being, "We hated you when you were sad! We hate you even more now that you're happy."

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ah, but some weren't smiling last night...

Democrat accuses Park police chief of mistreating peace protesters

Ranking House Judiciary Democrat Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) alleged Tuesday evening that protesters who were arrested outside the White House Monday were held in handcuffs for as long as twelve hours in cramped buses before they were released, RAW STORY has learned.

In a missive to United States Park Police Dwight Pettiford Tuesday evening, Conyers raised concern that protesters were mistreated by police.

"Some of those were released at 4:30 in the morning after being arrested at 4:00 the previous afternoon," he wrote. "Those released after midnight were unfamiliar with Washington, D.C., and had no means to travel back to their hotels once the metro had closed. Anacostia is not frequented by taxicabs after midnight."

"Many of those held captive the longest were grandmothers and senior citizens," he added.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Half of America is attacking her for 'smiling'. That's really sad.
The message being, "We hated you when you were sad! We hate you even more now that you're happy."

I'm not attacking her for being happy. I'm attacking her because she's smiling while she's being carried away by the police! I mean, what does that say about her?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I'm attacking her because she's smiling while she's being carried away by the police! I mean, what does that say about her?

To me? I didn't really know what to think of it until I read what she had to say about it. (I like to suspend judgment until I have some info). But once I read her response to the country's chastising her for smiling, I understand at least why SHE says she's smiling and I tend to believe it. Not because I believe everything she says, but because it makes logical sense to me.

From her notes on the smiling incident:

How Dare Cindy Smile!

-I was having fun. I was with a group of good-humored, cheerful, happy people.
-I was afraid that America would see my underwear and that tickled me.
-It is a wonderful thing to be doing something that makes a difference and it is a wonderful and miraculous thing to have my hope back. That is why I am smiling.

What does it say to you?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm glad for Cindy Sheehan that she can smile. No problem with this.
I just dont agree with the machine running her nor thier methods of "drama" they use to keep a obviously manufactured product up front and in the limelight. I dont give makeovers for "victimization". I dont live for "drama or drama Queens/Kings".
On a personal level I dont think much of the body politic...period. I dont know or care what Cindy Sheehan's qualifications are for the office of martyr in the body politic..understand??? I have seen to much of this going back into history.
Agree with one of the other posters that this is a technique going back to WW1 or so complete with drama/antics. To me this is cheap...almost rock bottom and I have been assaulted to many times by this kind of artifical merchandizing of base level products.
I have spent a lifetime diciplining my feelings in my area of employment and personal life. This means I dont cater to my feelings to get things done I harness them under dicipline to reach objectives. In my line of work...feelings..the wrong feelings means you will kill yourself or someone around you ..or at least get hurt ..badly.
When I see politics making merchandize of someones feelings...I see cheap whoredom..no matter who is doing it. Merchandizing someones "feelings" for the body politic has been going on for years and years in America. Institutionalzed by Phil Donahue along time ago and continued unto today.
Someone attempting to harness my "feelings " against my will and over my objections...is like a violation to me..very insulting. This is the very essence of how I find the very nature of the body politic to be and the Cindy Sheehans of the world...no matter who is coming down the pipe to be whored out next.

Here is another example..Heritic..as I type this I listen to the news about the Tom Delay buisness which seems to be brewing. I have seen this "drama" before too. Not intrested. I turned off the radio. This is the same olde "Gotcha politics" that have been done so often and have become a staple of the body politic. Not intrested. This psuedo news will be droned on and on and on and on and on and on ..for the next couple of weeks till it floats out to its conclusion. Not much different from Cindy Sheehan. Not difficult to see that it will be canned and planned from both sectors of the body politic. No thanks. I will listen to some Bach or Antonio Vivaldi instead.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
I'm glad for Cindy Sheehan that she can smile. No problem with this.
I just dont agree with the machine running her nor thier methods of "drama" they use to keep a obviously manufactured product up front and in the limelight. I dont give makeovers for "victimization". I dont live for "drama or drama Queens/Kings".

I'm not sury why you addressed your post to me, but... ok.

I totally hear what you're saying and agree with you to a point. I would never try to impose politics or drama onto you. Although I do enjoy discussing politics, I'm not much for the Drama Queen lifestyle myself.

I don't really like the political machine much either, AND Cindy Sheehan is an adult woman. I believe that what she does with her time, as long as she isn't hurting someone is her business. If she is letting the machine run her, it's by her choice and I have no business judging her for it.

(Then again, I think prostitution should be legal, too, but that's another issue. Suffice it to say I don't look down on 'whores' as some people like to call them. They're adults making their choices and it's none of my business.)

Someone attempting to harness my "feelings " against my will and over my objections...is like a violation to me..very insulting.

Hmmm. Do you find you're insulted a lot, then? I don't know about you, but people do this to me all the time. They don't succeed, but they sure do try. Advertisers, commercials about starving children, guilt trips by family members, even the bell-ringing Salvation Army guy. I guess maybe the discipline comes pretty easy to me because I find it easy to ignore them all.

I agree with you about the Delay thing, too, but these are the stories that are in the news, like it or not. It's certainly not the 'important' news, but it's 'a bunch of stuff that happened' in America.

Like I have said before I disagree with many of the tactics and 'antics' being used by Sheehan and her entourage, but this protest is so much bigger than her now, and the overall goal is really all I care about. And I support that. I just like to talk and ask questions (hopefully some of the thought-provoking variety).

If you haven't visited this thread, you might find some of these smashed political stereotypes interesting:

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy your music!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

To me? I didn't really know what to think of it until I read what she had to say about it. (I like to suspend judgment until I have some info). But once I read her response to the country's chastising her for smiling, I understand at least why SHE says she's smiling and I tend to believe it. Not because I believe everything she says, but because it makes logical sense to me.

From her notes on the smiling incident:

How Dare Cindy Smile!

-I was having fun. I was with a group of good-humored, cheerful, happy people.
-I was afraid that America would see my underwear and that tickled me.
-It is a wonderful thing to be doing something that makes a difference and it is a wonderful and miraculous thing to have my hope back. That is why I am smiling.

BH. The reason that we're criticizing Sheehan for smiling is because, like we always though, she's in this for the attention. I mean, who smiles when they're being arrested!?. Clearly, someone who wanted to be arrested and is enjoying all of the attention. I partially believe what she said, I mean she DID look like she was having fun! But that's the problem.

I guess it just seems pretty typical to me, that's all.

What does it say to you?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Your smile is like a thousand sunshines lighting up my day.

Aw... shucks...

Yes, Cindy is getting attention and loving it. A war protest without getting the attention of the media and other organizations is... just a party.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

A war protest without getting the attention of the media and other organizations is... just a party.

The clarity of that post is just classic!

Too funny, BH.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Benevolant Heritic,
I am not in favor of prostitution but you make a opening for a valid point..and that is that this type of political whoredom gives real true whores a bad name. Compared to much of what passes for politics today ..I think many whores as professionals might be more honorable.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Compared to much of what passes for politics today ..I think many whores as professionals might be more honorable.

Thanks,
Orangetom

I have known both and I agree 100%.

Regarding the arrests that day:
An Intervention Magazine Article excerpt

Crossing the Line to Save Lives

Voices of America

Three hundred and seventy Americans, few had ever been arrested before. Good, patriotic, law-abiding citizens don’t get arrested in America -- unless America is breaking the law.

There was Al and Joan Baker. Their son Sergeant Baker was killed in Iraq, the first Pennsylvania National Guardsman to die in combat since World War II.

There was Linda England and her sister Donna Stevens. Linda’s son served in Iraq, was awarded two Purple Hearts for wounds and a Bronze Star for valor.

There was Pat Aliviso from Huntington Beach, California, whose son is now a Marine in Iraq.

There were members of the clergy not preaching about morality but acting morally -- combat veterans fighting another war -- military family members trying to survive this war-- ordinary citizens becoming extraordinary Americans. None of whom were shackled to any ideology, except the ideology that terrible wrong must be vigorously challenged, nor driven by any political agenda, regardless of what the pro-war pundits claim. Their inspiration comes from a clear, uncomplicated moral voice that refuses to shut up: “Wrong is wrong, right is stopping wrong.” So they crossed the line to stop wrong. Then they went to jail.

The media reported Cindy Sheehan, whose son Casey died in Iraq, who camped outside George Bush’s ranch for the month of August, was arrested. Yes, she was. And Al … Joan … Linda … Donna … Pat … 370 good, patriotic, law-abiding Americans.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I would like very much to live in an America where aiding and abetting the enemy is an offense punishable by death. Alas, those days seem to be gone and we have those who drag through mud the sacrifices of those who protect their right to sedition.

The Sedition Act of 1918 was only valid when the USA was at war, correct? From everything that has been stated about the current "War on Terror" the invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq are "police actions", not wars. Its also been stated that the USA isn't even occupying Iraq, merely staying at the request of the Iraqi government. I doubt the Sedition Act would apply to today's military tactics of limited engagement undeclared wars or acts of violence.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

My God, this is exactly what she wanted. It's just perfect. Didn't you see her smiling as she was carried away?

They kept showing the picture of her smiling over and over and over again, not to show you that she thought it was funny, but to try and discredit her and to also take your brain's focus off her message. Not only was a message in her words, but her message was in her getting arrested.

What does that tell you about the current state of america when people are willing to get arressted to try and wake people up?

She's talking to all of us... Even if we don't agree with her way of doing things or her platform... she's still letting us know we're in a more authoratative state of democracy then ever before.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

BH. The reason that we're criticizing Sheehan for smiling is because, like we always though, she's in this for the attention. I mean, who smiles when they're being arrested!?. Clearly, someone who wanted to be arrested and is enjoying all of the attention. I partially believe what she said, I mean she DID look like she was having fun! But that's the problem.

I guess it just seems pretty typical to me, that's all.
[edit on 28-9-2005 by Herman]

I've been arrested and smiled before, because I knew give it two hours I would have a written apology or the next day the police would be involved in a Civil Action Law Suit for their actions.

In fact, I tend to smile most times they question me in the street or attempt to stop me.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Are some of you people actually that stupid?

A: You can't "loiter" on public property, loitering only applies to private property.

B: Each of you numb-nuts need read this until it clicks in your mind (well, what is left of them, don't worry if it takes you to long, stop take a break and go get you something healthy to eat)...

Bill of Rights
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

www.law.cornell.edu...

C: Do all of you feel the same away about the Code Pink's Medea Benjamin, whom as arrested for giving a peace sign? Granted Code Pink has been connected to the CIA through a front contribution support business, but still her arrest publicly portrays that these types of arrest are within the bounds and scope of intended law... which this is actually CONSPIRACY & COLOR OF LAW and is punishable by the offending law enforcement personnel.

D: www.fbi.gov...

[edit on 5-11-2007 by RexxCrow]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 241
Conspiracy Against Rights

This statute makes it unlawful for two or more persons to conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person of any state, territory or district in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him/her by the Constitution or the laws of the United States, (or because of his/her having exercised the same).

It further makes it unlawful for two or more persons to go in disguise on the highway or on the premises of another with the intent to prevent or hinder his/her free exercise or enjoyment of any rights so secured.

Punishment varies from a fine or imprisonment of up to ten years, or both; and if death results, or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years, or for life, or may be sentenced to death.

Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law

This statute makes it a crime for any person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom to willfully deprive or cause to be deprived from any person those rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution and laws of the U.S.

This law further prohibits a person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation or custom to willfully subject or cause to be subjected any person to different punishments, pains, or penalties, than those prescribed for punishment of citizens on account of such person being an alien or by reason of his/her color or race.

Acts under "color of any law" include acts not only done by federal, state, or local officials within the bounds or limits of their lawful authority, but also acts done without and beyond the bounds of their lawful authority; provided that, in order for unlawful acts of any official to be done under "color of any law," the unlawful acts must be done while such official is purporting or pretending to act in the performance of his/her official duties. This definition includes, in addition to law enforcement officials, individuals such as Mayors, Council persons, Judges, Nursing Home Proprietors, Security Guards, etc., persons who are bound by laws, statutes ordinances, or customs.

Punishment varies from a fine or imprisonment of up to one year, or both, and if bodily injury results or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire shall be fined or imprisoned up to ten years or both, and if death results, or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join