It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cindy Sheehan Under Arrest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Of course she wanted to be arrested. It's the seal of approval of every protester from Greenpeace to the anti-war movement.

Now she has global attention, not just a spat between a local rancher with a shotgun and her, but a full blown spectacle of being arrested by NYC's finest for the crime of refusing to get off the sidewalk. (huge fine there, right?)

I can't believe the cops fell for it.

Wanna bet me that it's not on BBC World News tonight? Didn't think so...

Anti-Cindy peeps should be shaking their heads in disgust over this move while the pro-Cindy factions are celebrating a much higher level of visibility.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
So what now? Only clips about how happy everyone is to go off an die in this STUPID ASS war is allowed? You know, some people smile when they are nervous. I dont understand, why all the hate. I mean, her son, that she raised, kissed on cheek goodbye, was returned to her in a body bag. Id be hurt/pissed and out of my mind to.

There's a huge difference between grieving, and media whoring.

This lady lost all respect the minute she changed her story to get attention from the media. And once she had their attention, she continued to act like a complete arse to keep that attention..

I refer you to the current article for Sheehan acting like an arse for media attention.

link   
What Cindy fails to realize (or accept) is that her son volunteered to join the Army. Every soldier goes there willingly. Every soldier knows there is a risk of being killed, especially in a combat arms MOS.

She has absolutely no ground to stand on.

link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Have some respect, if not for anything else, a grieving MOTHER !! Jerk.

You have a right to your opinion spliff, but if you believe that the term "grieving mother" applies to Sheehan (refer to QuietSoul's post), then I'd like to sell you my ocean front lot here in New Mexico. There's only one term that applies to Sheehan and unfortunately its use is not allowed on ATSNN (refer to my warning).

[edit on 2005/9/26 by GradyPhilpott]

df1

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
She has gone so far over the edge that Hillary won't come anywhere near her...

Hillary is a really bad example. She is a political hack with presidential aspirations and has lost any ideals that she may have once held a long, long time ago.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Does repeating unrelated information make reality disappear?

She was arrested for demonstrating without a permit because her and a few dozen others decided to sit down and block a street corner next to the White House.

I am so sorry that all the drama queens on the planet squealing simultaneously does not change the fact that it is against the law to plop yourself down on a street corner and block anyone else from walking through without having a proper permit.

They had no permit, period. How interesting that they weren't bothered yesterday... maybe they actually had a permit for that one!

Repeating and repeating how terrible the war in Iraq is and how sad it is that the lady's son died there does not change the fact that there was an arrest made for a valid issue that ANY OTHER GROUP OF AMERICANS would have had to deal with as well.

If you read the article about this on CNN you will see it says the group expected to have some members arrested. This was no shock. Stop overdramatizing things.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

She's a traitorous media whore... Anyone who uses the noble sacrifice of a child to further his own cheap potical agenda deserves the death penalty, not just a few hours in jail and a misdemeanor charge.

Well as I said in another thread, perhaps the USA isn't for you.
Here we not only allow, but encourage dissent.
But if that's not for you, well, as they say, "love it or leave it."

There are places on the planet where the penalty for going against the government is pretty much as you describe, North Korea for instance. Perhaps you ought to consider defecting. You might be happier there.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood Mod. Please try to maintain decorum and civility in this thread.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Ok, look like she was on White House property and arrested by the federal U.S. Park Police:

Others who were arrested also cooperated with police. Sgt. Scott Fear, spokesman for the U.S. Park Police, said they would be charged with demonstrating without a permit, which is a misdemeanor.

Park Police Sgt. L.J. McNally said Sheehan and the others would be taken to a processing center where they would be fingerprinted and photographed, then given a ticket and released. The process would take several hours, he said.

CNN

Doesn't exactly sound like she's going to be rotting in jail though over this!

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
If ever I saw a model of bi polar behavior , it's been the actions of Cindy Sheehan. She is so obviously in the mania phase of her bi polar disorder that it's a shame that she is being arrested. I hope that she is given access to psychiatric evaluation and care. She has obviously not assimulated the impact of her son's death in Iraq into her reality and is reacting in a hypo manic manner that would probably typify this sort of personal trauma.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
They had no permit, period.

Last time I checked the right of the peoples to peacefully assemble was not to be infringed upon, am I the only one who remembers that?
Sorry, but I do not see a sidewalk obstruction as breaking the peace.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cindy is the worst type of media whore, who is in fact hurting the anti war effort. I often wonder if she would be against the war if her son was still alive, or would she still be flying her yellow ribbon?

Sometimes I think she was a square as a kid, and her parents probably didn't let poor little cindy go to any love ins, so now she is making up for lost time, and all the cultural change and turmoil she missed in her youth...who knows, maybe whe was simply too young?
(remember the 60's ?)

Whatever the case, this was obviously another one of her useless media stunts, that will amount to absolutely nothing. To tell the truth, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that she was a provocateur whose sole intent was to discredit the anti-war movement. Who else (in the anti war movement) has had an audience with Bush?

Maybe if she was there with us in L.A, N.Y, and London in 2001-2, maybe then I would listen to anything she had to say. Where was she though? I'll tell you where she was, she was at home, busy sending her son off to go die in an illegal war.

df1

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
She was arrested for demonstrating without a permit because her and a few dozen others decided to sit down and block a street corner next to the White House.

If your not a corporation such as halliburton or a corrupt crony of tom delay you have no access to the president other than protesting in front of the white house. I find it outrageous that all these faux patriots do nothing but whine and cite phoney baloney laws designed to suppress the freedom of speech. She was arrested because 'the powers that be' don't like what she is saying.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
If your not a corporation such as halliburton or a corrupt crony of tom delay you have no access to the president other than protesting in front of the white house. .

Wrong! Cindy Sheehan met with the President shortly after Casey's death.

Sheehan and other grieving military families met with President George W. Bush in June 2004 at Fort Lewis, near Tacoma, Washington, nearly three months after her son's death. In a June 24, 2004 interview with the Vacaville Reporter published soon after the meeting, she expressed concerns about the President's having changed justifications for war "every time a reason is proven false or an objective reached," as well as the way the war had been handled, but also told the reporter that President Bush was "...sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis...I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith." [emphasis mine]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'll explain it to you, friend. Her son didn't die a month ago, and she isn't grieving. She is basking.
From the info given by her family, she wasn't that close to her son as you'd be led to believe.

This isn't grief, and she isn't only blthering about the war. This is a woman who wants to be somebody and is using the blood of a fallen warrior as a bridge to fame.
That is disgusting, and I have no love or tolerance for such action. I feel the same way for the various groups who are giving her the platform so that they can also further their cause, which is just as treacherous as Bush and Co.'s treacherous plot.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Look, also from the other thread, the point of civil disobedience is to get arrested. That's why it's civil disobedience.

I don't feel any outrage over Cindy getting arrested, as that's precisely what she set out to do.

"Media whore" or not, I don't have any problems with her.
I have little doubt her outrage over her son's death is genuine.
She did not start out as some professional political activist, she started out as an ordinary housewife whose son was sent to a foreign country to die for no damn good reason.

That's exactly why she has become such an effective rallying figure for opposition to the war, and that is exactly why the far right hates her so much. Until now, no single person has been identifiable with the ever-growing opposition to this futile war. Now, like it or not, Cindy is it.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Well as I said in another thread, perhaps the USA isn't for you.

When you have invested in this country what I have invested, you might be justified in making such statements, but until then, you would do well to heed the counsel of your elders.

Sheehan is exactly what I have described, even if my choice of words offended some. I've been around long enough to know a spade when I see one.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Where's your source, djohnsto77?

I could not find such a reference. But I did find this...which is equally ridiculous.

Bush compares Iraq war to WWII

If there is anything ridiculous about comparing 9/11 to Pearl Harbor, it is that Pearl Harbor pales in comparison to Pearl Harbor.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
So when do we begin arresting the countless homeless people this nation has living on their sidewalks? This is nothing more than an imposed deterrent, a message to the everyday common Joe making him affraid to protest and express American constitutional rights and freedoms.

The globalists are laying down the foundation to suppress mankind into consumer product buying zombies through fear and controlled by our national security. Any such individual who becomes an icon of resistance against the movement will be arrested and deemed a enemy traitor.

The sad part is is that it's actually working, just see what Grady has to say!

[edit on 26-9-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This isn't a huge surprise to me. Now that the news and media is focusing more on the hurricane wind speed, and has forgotten about all the hot air coming out of her mouth, she had to up the drama a level or two to stay in the news. "Who cares about the hurricane killing thousands, I still hate Bush." Lots of people and groups resort to this type of gimmickry (is that a word?) to grab headlines.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Give me a break people! These continued proclamations that Cindy Sheehan is somehow less than sincere about the death of her son is just simply outrageous. I don't care how many family members said she wasn't close to her son, no one can speak for Cindy Sheehan about how she feels, or felt, about him, other than Cindy Sheehan.

Anyone who has children knows that the relationship between parent and child is a complicated one. It isn't always a bed of roses. Closeness has nothing to do with love for a child. Closeness has nothing to do with pain that one might feel for the loss of a child. To assert otherwise is a simplistic and moronic view of reality.

If Cindy Sheehan says that she is motivated by the pain of her loss, then I'm inclined to believe her. At best, one might be able to assert that Cindy Sheehan has been embroiled in this antiwar effort as a form of denial to her loss.

To continue to perpetuate this 'myth' demonstrates the level of intellectual dishonesty that continues to exists on both sides of this entire national debate about the war.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by loam]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join