It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists kill teachers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Link

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Sept. 26 -A group of armed men burst into a primary school in a town south of Baghdad today, rounded up five teachers, marched them to an empty classroom and executed them, a police official said. All of those killed were Shiite.

School was just getting out in Muilha, a suburb of Iskandariya, a town about 30 miles south of Baghdad, when about 10 gunmen dressed in police uniforms entered the building at 1:15 p.m. and shot the teachers, all men. As the gunmen fled the building, they also shot and killed the teachers' driver, who was waiting outside to take them home.

While Iraqis are tormented by daily attacks, teachers have rarely, if ever, been the targets. The killing was particularly cruel as it took place while some children were still at the school, called al-Jazeera, and raised fear that schools, largely unprotected here, could become a new target.

wat the hell? the teachers are not even close to being collaborators of the American military. but then Zarqawi did declare war against the Shiites. and these terrorists were disguise as policemen.

somthing wrong with the link, i appreciate if sombody helped me fix it.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Teachers are a threat. They are in a position to teach kids things like tolerance, acceptance, and culture. Terrorists cant have that, it doesn’t mesh with an all Shari’a governed world like they are fighting for. These teachers also teach females, and that’s pretty much forbidden.

Teachers create educated people who go on to prosper them selves and their countries, and that’s against everything that these people are fighting for: Shari’a law.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Teachers aren’t a threat to any Iraqi terrorist; or at least not for the reasons you said (skippytjc).
As a matter of fact under Saddam most Iraqi's where very familiar with things like tolerance, acceptance and culture. Iraqis had to be because if they didn’t they got shot for sponsoring political "instability".
Get your facts right! In fact before the first Gulf war Iraq had: over 92 percent literacy and a first world health and education system in much of the country. Though UN sanctions ended up destroying it in comparison to what it had once been, the Ba'th party of Iraq always considered the education of things like tolerance, acceptance and culture (except towards their enemies of course) as a vital glue in keeping the country together.
It was this education system, and brutality of some of the security services that kept the country together.

Ok it looks like Iraq has forgotten this education and with the Muslim fundamentalists (Shia people) it was probably only superficially there in the first place. Personally I think this ethnic group has dismissed this education as nothing but Saddam propaganda (which in a way it was).
But if you think Iraqis are just a bunch of uneducated savages remember that 14 years ago that wasn’t so; and before this invasion it wasn’t so ether.

All that has happened is that under American occupation Iraq's once united society has been reduced to more or less open religious and ethnic warfare.
The engine behind this is somewhat to do with the fact that the educated secular Sunni minority who used to be in power are still receiving revenge from the Muslim fundamentalists who are now in power because they make up the majority of the population (the Shiite group is about 60%).
The Sunni people form the bulk of the Resistance against Western occupation, so we as occupiers have probably not have been as keen to spare these people from savage revenge as we might otherwise have been. Merely entering their communities is dangerous, because the Sunnis want Iraq back, or at least not split up into zones which will deprive them of its oil wealth.
But what is happening to the Sunnis has been barbaric by anyone’s standards. Their families are quite literally being slaughtered by Iraqis majority population. This has included woman and children; and both sides are kidnapping the others people for ransoms.
This has had little coverage thanks to (if nothing else) the danger posed to Western journalists in these areas. At the same time the Sunnis are being bombed by the Americans for their group’s part in supporting the insurgency. Sunnis make anything from 25 to 20 percent of Iraq’s population depending on the numbers killed or who have fled the country.
We know that the Sunni people are going through hell, so it is only natural for this to be returned. Zarqawi is a man who has built his reputation on brutality to his enemies and his skilfulness at evading capture. I believe he is merely returning to the Shiite population what they have done to the Sunni.
It doesn’t make it any less wrong, but it does put it in perspective. Personally (and this is me talking personally not factually) I think Zarqawi is an Israeli spy. Whatever trouble he causes the Shiite Muslims will be repaid many times over; given that they are the majority of Iraq’s population. This is why I feel so sorry for the Sunni. Unless you’re a terrorist there’s nothing you can do to spare yourself the misfortune of being ethnically associated with them, and all that entails. And paradoxically that is why so many decide to join a terrorist group. Not just for protection, but also as revenge against their situation which only started with our occupation.

As to all you pro war people: If political freedom is so much more important to Iraqis than the security of a civil life; why are so many of the Shiite who didn’t have power before also joining with the Sunnis against us?
Could it be that: Freedom from rape and kidnap, a police force that’s not ethnically biased with a capital B, a economic system that was still delivering somewhat better, and the lack of bombs and mortars going of every night was more important to them than which criminal runs the country?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

Teachers aren’t a threat to any Iraqi terrorist; or at least not for the reasons you said (skippytjc).

Terrorists from Iran, Syria, Saudi, etc, could care less about Iraqi's education and had nothing to do with the pre invasion education level of Iraq. You assume these are Iraqi terrorists killing teachers, they most likely are not. Thats an error in your logic.

These terrorists dont want people educated, they want them scared. Scared people make easier victims and are more submissive than educated ones. Its no more complicated than that.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well ain't that a surprise?
Terrorists target teachers in a school full of children. What brave people these freedom fighters are. What kind of retaliation did they expect from children and unarmed teachers? Did they pose some kind of threat?

Ah, yes of course they did, they were innocents going about their daily life. Thats what these mindless scum target nowadays. I forgot how they think for a moment then, Sorry about that.

They appeared to have selected the only male teachers in the school. The female teachers were unharmed.

I do not, for the life of me, understand what they hope to gain by killing the male teachers. Do the female teachers not also teach the similar things?

The killing was particularly cruel as it took place while some children were still at the school, called al-Jazeera, and raised fears that schools, largely unprotected here, could become a new target.

I also find it somewhat strange the school was called 'Al-Jazeera" too. Not sure what significance that has, if any, to the attack.
What exactly were the children being taught at this school? To love and appreciate the Western World? I very much doubt it, but no doubt the people who carried out these atrocious attacks had some kind of false/brain washing ideals submitted to them.

All quotes come from the link previously supplied

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Beslan....
www.opinionjournal.com...

The depravity of this is hard to believe, but believe it we must. For it is the new reality of this current age in which innocents are specifically targeted by Muslim terrorists in the name of some Islamic cause. In Russia, the murderers were Chechens, aided by Arabs believed to be allied with al Qaeda. And so the children of Beslan join the ranks of other victims of Islamic terror--in a Moscow theater, a Bali nightclub, a Karachi church, and the Twin Towers of New York.

en.wikipedia.org...

I think the connections are easy to follow, as distasteful as they are.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The connections can always be found for any normal minded person.

Its the connections that these mindless individuals are subjected to, that make them actually carry out these kind of "heroic" attacks in the name of their cause, that are the problem.

Take out the root, and the weed will die.
I wish it was that easy eh?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Good point skippytjc; I guess I was jumping the gun a bit much.
But regardless of where these terrorists are from it is not true to say that Iraqis need to be educated about how to live with each other. They had decades of that under Saddam, who (as said) did teach them for his own purposes (i.e. to hold the country together).
It might be that it only takes a few nutcases to keep the bloody chain reaction in Iraq going, but with Zarqawi on the loose they have plenty of that. Without Saddam or someone like him i think this "chain reaction" will never stop, unless at least the country is not split up by this new constitution. If that happened the Sunnis would never settle for peace.
At the end of the day is not a matter of a few nutcases from abroad or Iraq.
It worse because its more to do with whole large sections of Arab society within and outside Iraq from where terrorists can always draw support.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm suprised that anyone is still suprised at the tactics these guys are willing to use. This is a religious civil war we find ourselves in the middle of, Sunni versus Shiite. The Sunni's, in control under Saddam, are reacting to what they see as the propsect of Shiite domination. To the Sunni's, especially the Wahabbi fanatics that gave us Osama Bin Laden, the Shiite's are heretics.

Religious wars have historically proven to be the most brutal, nothing seems to make people willing to commit acts of utter barbarism than the conviction that God is on their side.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
As we are in Iraq the question is which side in this religious war should we be supporting. Currently we seem to be supporting the Shiite Muslim Fundamentalists as they are the majority and we favour democracy in Iraq.

But think! America (a Christian country) supporting Muslim Fundamentalists? Why? Why do we want to support people who reject as opposed to accept other faiths?
Wouldn’t it be better if we were on the side of the Secular Sunni Muslim minority, who actually tolerate other faiths and thanks to the legacy of power under Saddam are in any case way more educated than the rest of the country.
Who wants to give democracy to a bunch of Muslim Fundamentalists? Anyway give it time and once the Sunni Muslims have been completely massacred I bet they will bring in a religious government like Iran. After all that is the track record of Muslim Fundamentalists.

So my question is this: Should we change track and bring in a Secular Sunni government over the Fundamentalists Muslim majority?
Yes i am saying we ditch this stupid idea of an Iraqi Muslim fundamentalist democracy!! I know we won't do it, but surely things would be better if we did? (Surely they would be better if you are a woman too). Already there's religious "law" in some Shiite parts of Iraq (only it’s not law yet; just “mob” rule!).

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
But the Sunni's are no more secular than the Shiites.

In fact, it is largely Sunni fundamentalists who are going around blowing people up, not Shiites.
Hence all these Shiites (like these teachers) getting terror-bombed.

In the wake of our invasion, which took out the only secular power in the country - the Ba'ath party, headed by Saddam Hussein - the old religious hatreds have resurfaced in force.

We could probably end the civil war by putting Saddam back in power - but I am not sure that would be an optimal solution

[edit on 9/26/05 by xmotex]

new topics

top topics

join