It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the "proud American" irk others so much?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Every so often, I have found comments posted from non-Americans who seem to be overcome with hatred -- or is it envy? -- for those who are "proud to be American"? What's wrong with being proud for your country? Sure, there are plenty of things wrong with the U.S. but there still are plenty of things that are right about the States as well.

I've even seen posters right here on ATS/BTS that were quite irked by the stereotypical "can Do" attitude of proud Americans. What could possibly be wrong with American non-complacency? Americans see a problem and they try to fix it. Does this attitude imply that non-Americans are complacent? Do non Americans simply accept the problems that confront them saying "oh too bad, we have a problem and I guess we'll just have to accept it.....ow woe is me"

What's wrong with the "lets get 'er done" attitude that the stereotypical American brings to problem solving? And, again, what's wrong with Americans being proud of their country.....aren't non Americans proud of theirs?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think it is envy on the part of the non-Americans who do not live here because they are not set to the same standard of living as we Americans and Canadians are. There is nothing wrong about being proud because you live in the States or Canada, defend your beliefs the way you think that they should. I believe that the complacancy attitude towards Americans is just plain wrong. I mean who were the first two nations to come to the rescue after the tsunami struck? Even I had came up with several solutions on how New Orleans should have been evacuated before and after Katrina hit. It takes something like this to show the world how much both Americans and Canadians care about their neighbor.

I see a problem, I want something done about it and I want it done now with none of the Bureacracy to go with it. It could imply that non-Americans don't care but who really knows. It could imply that non-Americans tend to live with a problem, whether it be a disaster or not, could be very much the case. There ain't nothing wrong with the Git-R-Done attitude of both Americans and Canadians. Apollo 13 experienced a major problem while enroute to the moon and it was fixed from Earth, all be it just NASA that solved it. We are just being Patriotic and love our country, there are some people out there that think the citizens here care too much, and there are some people in this world that want us all dead. Even non-Americans and non-Canadians should be proud of their country and help in any way they can to make it better for everyone there.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The impression I get from peoples attitudes towards Americans has less to do with an American persons self confidence and patriotism and more to do with how America on the affects their country or how they see Americas foreign policy affecting other countries.

I am an Aussie, most of us have positive feelings toward America.

The current leadership of the United States leaves a bad taste in the mouth though. It is good to support your President but you must see he has taken America backwards in the eyes of other countries.

Your country is starting to see this now.

With the poverty and disasters that you are facing, where is his priorities? I think the Americans have been let down sorely.

Cheers.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
I think it is envy on the part of the non-Americans who do not live here because they are not set to the same standard of living as we Americans and Canadians are.

There's your answer right there,your delusions of supremecy.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ras Dedan

I think it is envy on the part of the non-Americans who do not live here because they are not set to the same standard of living as we Americans and Canadians are.

There's your answer right there,your delusions of supremecy.

What's wrong with having good self-esteem as a nation? What's wrong with aiming high? What's wrong with wanting the best that there is and then getting it?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There can be small but very noticable differences between projecting a positive attitude as a nation or claiming to be the best etc and speaking down to others which is how the quote came across.

Personalizing it will not allow you to see...

If you are really interested step into their shoes. If your not willing to do that then I'm not sure whay you asked the question in the first place?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimholt
There can be small but very noticable differences between projecting a positive attitude as a nation or claiming to be the best etc and speaking down to others which is how the quote came across.

Personalizing it will not allow you to see...

If you are really interested step into their shoes. If your not willing to do that then I'm not sure whay you asked the question in the first place?

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/26/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I am an American. I have traveled a little bit but not a great deal, and still think the USA is the best country on the planet.

Does that mean I think other nations are inferior? Nope. It just means that I personally think where I live is the best, at everything, for me. And I am just fine with it.

This make me arrogant or cocky? Who cares.

But to be more to the point: The USA is consistent, you can accurately expect a certain level of life, and get it with near certainty. That’s what makes the USA great. The more you put in, the more you get out. You cant find another country with as much opportunity as the USA, and that’s the biggie. So even if another nation can post a better education level, or lower crime rate, etc, it hardly matters if your opportunities are limited.

Can people experience happiness and opportunity elsewhere? Sure I guess, but I could care less as I am a proud and very happy American along with the world’s largest contingent of immigrants...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
What's wrong with having good self-esteem as a nation? What's wrong with aiming high?

Nothing wrong with these things in themselves but you asked what irked people about Americans and I gave an honest answer,if you can't see the difference between confidence and the belittling of others as in gimmefootball's post,I don't know what to say.
For me it's nothing to do with stereotypes,not all Americans are like that but from personal experience I've come across a lot of Americans with this superiority complex,it's an irritating trait that is universal but it's fairly prevelent in Americans for some reason,perhaps it's because as a society you seem to be very insular.

[edit on 26/9/2005 by Ras Dedan]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
please excuse my last post.....it became "messed up" during editing. I would pull the entire post, if possible) but, in the very least, I wish to express that the quote is not correct. I did not want to misrepresent anyone. sorry and thank you

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the edit

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ras Dedan

There's your answer right there, your delusions of supremecy.

Well, the US IS better. I'm don't mean that in a Nazi-fashion but we are. Our standard of living is higher, we have more freedoms, in the US a person can actually do things instead of having things done to them. While I don't know about people in other countries being envious of us, I wouldn't be suprised if they were.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
In what other country would you find something like this?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I don't think there's anything wrong with being a 'proud American' however you define it but speaking personally, as I wouldn't presume to speak for 'the world', there do seem to be certain attitudes that emanate from America that people find grating.

If I may illustrate with examples, not to get bogged down in specific arguments, these include an apparent American view of "I pay my tax dollars therefore I don't give a damn about pollution and I will have a 7 litre car if I want one".

Now clearly that is a sweeping generalistation but it is representative of a viewpoint that comes across, and for people (Americans included of course) who are more aware of the damage we are doing to the environment, (as is even now being graphically demonstrated rigth there in the USA) it is seen as intensely arrogant and annoying, this is then seen by some of you as 'anti Americanism' .

Another way is the way Americans seem to intone 'god' all the time as if he is Americas' best mate. Not merely the 'god bless America' guff but also the way things only seem to happen if 'god wants it to', cue the image of an American person pointing accusingly and shouting "god will strike you down!"

Of course there's nothing wrong with religious beliefs, they are the way of the world, its just that the way SOME Americans seem to go on about it is seen as rather sickening somewhere like here where I live, where belief in Christianity is just as strong but you would never ever hear anyone speak like that.

Of course its all down to the national persona and while we find certain ways of behaviour distasteful (and vice versa no doubt) there is no doubt that the UK and USA are the most closely related and allied nations on earth, and long may that continue.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Sorry about this gimmefootball400 , not sure why but I could not see the picture you posted?

Can someone tell me what it is?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's one of the most powerful locomotives in the United States, the SD70MAC built by Electro Motive Diesel.

This is Norfolk Southern SD70MAC #2581
SD70MAC Specifications

Horsepower: 4,000 horespower
Wheel Arrangement : C-C
Production Years: 1993 - present
Engine Model: 710G3C
Number of units: in production

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
In reply to thread starter, it dosent. At least it dosent bother me, nothing wrong with loving your country and being patriotic. I think i live in the best Country in the World, the land of shakespeare, Winston Churchill, Byron, Shelly. A land so steeped in History that you cant walk a hundred yards without tripping over some of it. A land of Grand Castles, Beautiful Cathedrels and the Green rolling Hills of the Yorkshire Dales. Why anyone woyuld want to live any where else is beyond me.
Does that irk you? No? And so it shouldnt. Love for your Country and its people is a good thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
A land so steeped in History that you cant walk a hundred yards without tripping over some of it.

So England is dangerous you say? People tripping all over the place?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by Janus
A land so steeped in History that you cant walk a hundred yards without tripping over some of it.

So England is dangerous you say? People tripping all over the place?

Oh yeah, we're dangerous alright

No, my point was that History is all around us in the UK, everywhere. If i walk out of my front door less than 100 yards away is an old Monestry dating from around 1000 or so. In the other direction is a Norman Church complete with a Norman Knights tomb. I wouldnt swap the UK for all the Oil in Texas

For anyone whos is interested the old Monestry is called the Mill of the Black Monks. Heres a link to it, best google could do.

And a picture of St Marys Church.

Church
Monk bretton Priory

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Janus]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Live, love, and die for that country for which you love. Live the life of a patriot and die like a patriot. Doesn't necessarily mean that you have to serve your country. What it means is respect the for which you are a citizen of. Respect the laws, bi-laws, and the rights your fellow countrymen have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join