It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(MSFE) The Flood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
She couldn't believe it. After months of planning and expectation they were finally at the cabin. And it was raining! The forecast said rain all week, but she was hoping they would be as wrong as usual. John was already in a bad mood and a full week of rain wouldn't improve it any. As Ciara turned off the light that evening she thought the rain was letting up. She was wrong.

The next morning when they woke up, it was still raining. Hard, steady rain. In fact you couldn't even see across the meadow it was raining so hard. They read, played checkers and made love to pass the day. They retired early and each prayed silently for an end to the rain.

But the rain still came.

Ciara awoke to birds singing. There was no sound of rain on the roof. She opened her eyes and was greeted to sunshine. She sat up and started to get out of bed. She stepped in water. She looked down and saw two inches of water covering the entire floor. "John get up!" she exclaimed.

John got up and together they went to the window. Water. The meadow surrounding the cabin had become a lake. Water was lapping at the underside of their new truck. "I think we need to leave. Now!" John said.

Outside the water was midway up their shins. They climbed in the truck and made their way down the lane. The first two miles was through the woods which made the road easy to make out. Soon though, the woods ended. John stopped. Mary was frantic. "Why are you stopping?"

John replied, "Do you see the road? And somewhere up there is the river. We're going to have to go back."

Mary started crying. She didn't want to admit it but he was right. All she could see for miles was water.

John managed to turn the truck around without getting stuck. By the time they got back, the water was up to their knees. John glanced at the clock, 12:57. Had it really taken two hours to go two miles and come back? It didn't seem possible. They went inside and started moving necessities into the small attic. Within an hour the water was waist deep. They climbed into the attic and dryed off. They sat wrapped in blankets and watched the water rise. Just before dark, the top of their truck had disappeared. Neither spoke, but both realized they may be in serious trouble.

They lit the lantern and played cards and ate some sandwiches and chips. John had brought up a six pack of beer. They split the beer and fell asleep in each others arms.

Ciara woke with a headache, but was still dry. She crawled over to the window and looked out. The truck was visible again. The water was going down! She snuggled back up next to John and fell back asleep with a smile touching the corners of her mouth.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hi keymaster

I wanted to wish you great luck in the contest! I enjoyed reading your story, but I was a bit confused about who "Mary" was in your story. I liked how the story ended with a feeling of hope, and how Ciara had delt with her fear in such a way that she was able to go back to sleep after seeing that the water level was going down. I know I would have stayed awake worring about all sorts of things!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
my bad. Mary is Ciara. I originally wrote her as Mary. I missed one change. Thanks for catching that.

Make that two changes.

I am not particularly happy with this story. That word count makes it difficult to completely tell the tale.

I'll probably play with this one later without the word limit and see what happens.
[edit on 9/28/2005 by keymaster]

[edit on 9/28/2005 by keymaster]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This was a good story keymaster. It even had a happy ending which I liked. Good job

Good luck in the contest my friend,

Wupy

top topics

join