It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TheAirCar, Why doesn't everybody have one.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I heard about a car being made in France that runs on compressed air. Why is this not plastered all over the news. Imagine that " a car that runs on compressed air thats only emission is fresh air". Why do you not hear the environmentalist proclaiming this from the mountains tops. Or how about the guy that spends 15 to 20% of his income in one way shape or form on energy. And maybe even more.
www.theaircar.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Right now, when my tires a bit low, I can pull into a local service center and simply add a few pounds. No muss, no fuss. And you can drive away knowing that air is one of the last few FREE things left in life. Oh sure, there are some gas stations that will actually charge you a quarter to use their tire pump but hey, even then it's only two bits! The air car is going to change all that and I wonder if it's going to be worth it? You just know they are going to increase the price of air. After that, it's only a matter of time before the government realizes that there is a lot of air that we get for free just from breathing. This will be construed as "income", or a derived assett and then we will also be saddled with a Breathable Air Utilization Tax. Before long, it will still cost us over a hundred bucks to fill the tanks of our modified, air powered, SUVs. We can't win!

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Because US culture is not ready for cars whose appearance doesn't make the driver's penis feel bigger, and whose top speed is 50 km/h.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Do you really think people will park their big comfortable vehicles and drive these?

This is a car for single ladies that still wear flowers in their hair.
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Right now, I'd have to agree with anxietydisorder and curme--those cars just ain't American enough to hit the mainstream over here. Not big enough, loud enough, or fast enough. Granted, neither are the Mini Coopers, and they're gaining in popularity at least where I'm at (WA).

If they did get to be more marketable in the US, I'd bet dollars to dimes that they would end up being cost prohibitive to keep this nation dependant on oil. There's no way Exxon, Shell, etc. would let a car powered for free into the US.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
when those big american cars are sitting in the garage because those big americans ( bigger than they need to be) cannot afford to pay for gas they, may begin to relaize that looks and speed and size don't really matter after all, maybe just neccessity and of course the size of there wallet.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
i can't believe you people, '..it won't make peoples penis feel big enough..', 'not 'American enough..', who cares, do you know you have to pay an emission tax to drive in central london (if you could drive at 50 km/h in central london)?

did you ever stop to think that they make much more sense in countries that don't have eight lane freeways gouged through them?

did you stop to think that many drivers don't in fact have penises, that their vehicles do create emmisions and reducing said emmisions might be a good thing, m'kay?

are you happy to pay more for products as a direct result of the increase in cost of transport? gee maybe if urban delivery trucks used this, oh wait, the penis thing..

they also have duel fuel models

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ok if you'ld actually read.

A. they just began presenting it to investors, april 2005, so obviously we're not all driving around with air-car engines

B. That is the prototype model design.

ALSO: the focus should be on the ENGINE not the car, it is the investors job (I.E: an actual car company like Ford, or Chrysler) to modify the look of the car, since that company spent 12 years developing the ENGINE.

C. It hasnt been bought. The investors are obviously, like with anything as outlandish as this, testing it vigorously. Testing the input-outputs, efficiency, etc etc. An air powered car will need testing, A LOT

And FOR GOD SAKE, you americans are so in love with yourselves "yall am proud t'be an american, best country in the world YEEEEHAAWWW", and "aww am not sure that car's american enough for me."

Not american enough!? you do realise that unless we use cars like this, your precious american way will be no more.

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thank you Shadow88. except of course for the insulting americans thing. Not all of us listen to country music and many of us care about evryone.With that said, prototype taxis have been running in France for over a year and to thise of you that think the AirCar would come to America without being tinkered with to make it go as fast as would would need than you must not understand that Americans have this ability to make things bigger and better if needed. And as far as appearance. the body can be made into any shape especially for those of you obsessed with penis's

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If you look at a map, just north of the 49th is a place called Canada.

Our roads are filled with mini-vans, SUVs and large sedans. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
If you drive into Toronto during rush hour (hours) you see all these big vehicles crawling along with only one person inside.
Until there is an incentive to change, it just won't happen.

I have never seen a carpool lane in Canada, or any other idea that would curtail the use of 1 car for 1 person.
We have a very good transit system in the Golden Horseshoe that is under used, even though the ticket prices are kept very low by funds fed into it by the different branches of government.

I think fuel prices will have to go a lot higher before people will change.
Fuel prices have doubled over the past 5 years and all we do is complain a bit more, but go about our lives changing nothing.

Canadian gas prices are about $1.09 a litre apprx.
The price of a litre of bottled water at the corner store is $1.25 apprx.
Gas is still cheaper than water, go figure.....

Edit: corrected a mistake.

[edit on 26/9/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I want to clear my post up, in case something got lost in the translation. I think the car is a great idea. I would love to see us move away from gasoline, and in a way I'm surprised we haven't yet.

However, I'm also enough of a realist (or cynic, depending on your point of view) to know that the American public in general is too much in love with fast, noisy cars, or cars that are so large you can carry the entire population of a small third-world island nation and still have room for Rover and groceries. Blame the gearheads who spend all day tweaking their '65 Mustang, or souping up their Eclipse into a killer Euro car. Blame the soccer moms who don't think a minivan is cool enough. Blame the oil companies for trying to keep themselves in business. Whoever is to blame, the fact remains that it's probably not going to be very marketable over here for quite some time, unless the American way changes direction.

BTW, for whatever it's worth, my car does absolutely nothing for my opinion of my genitalia. My computer on the other hand.....

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thanx for clearing that up. Unfortunately Americans have a lot to say but they seem at times to be either, to lazy or to tired from working 80 hours a week, to really get involved. Big things start small with a few people that are willing to sacrifice a lot for many.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Anyway, I put my order in already and I will be keeping my fingers crossed hoping that someone will have the vision and guts to say "Screw You" to the norm.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sorry about that, that was slightly um....stereotypical of me. yes i realise there is a very diverse range of people in america. i was just overemphasising a continuation of that specific statement.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
uhhh, maybe it's because no such animal exists?????????????????
(Just a thought)
Banjo

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
ummmm......what are you talking about?????

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by banjo_guru
uhhh, maybe it's because no such animal exists?????????????????
(Just a thought)
Banjo

I'm sorry, I missed that.............
Please explain.........

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
never mind whatijust said........i misread it

XL5

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
With gas being cheaper then water, how many liters of gas does your car need in a week and how many liters of water do you drink in a week. I think we still spend alot less on water then on gas, then there is always bulk bottled water thats much cheaper. A car that ran on expensive bottled water would be different.

As for the air car, they should make air scooters first so people can see that it works and can have ALOT of low end torque. Stirling engines would also aid with the air car system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join