It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,000 Prisoners Released From Abu Ghraib

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
More than 1,000 prisoners will be released from Abu Ghraib this week. 500 already today.

Nettavisen: 1000 loslates fra Abu Ghraib (in norwegian)

Photo: SCANPIX/AP Photo/Wathiq Khuzaie, Pool

Edit (links in english) :

Around 1,000 to be freed from Abu Ghraib as gesture (Reuters)

U.S. Frees 500 Abu Ghraib Detainees (AP)

ABC News: U.S. Frees 500 Abu Ghraib Detainees

People`s Daily: US troops release 1,000 Iraqi detainees from Abu Ghraib prison

ITAR-TASS: Thousand convicts at Abu- Ghraib look forward to early release

GulfNews: Reprieve for 1,000 Abu Ghraib prisoners

The US military began on Monday to release 1,000 Iraqi detainees from Abu Ghraib prison at the request of the Iraqi government in honour of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The first 500 prisoners were loaded onto Iraqi public buses and driven out of the notorious prison on Monday morning. The rest will be freed later this week, the US military said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/4/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Ill do tomorrows headlines:

"1000 former Abu detainee's killed in action fighting Americans and coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan..."

[edit on 26-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Ill do tomorrows headlines:

"1000 former Gitmo detainee's killed in action fighting Americans and coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan..."

I totaly agree that that may be a possibility. I for one would likely want revenge for being held all that time for no reason and without charge. If any of them were totured I should imagine revenge is on their minds.

Of course the majority may just be glad to get home to their families and make the most of that time.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I totaly agree that that may be a possibility. I for one would likely want revenge for being held all that time for no reason and without charge. If any of them were totured I should imagine revenge is on their minds.

Of course the majority may just be glad to get home to their families and make the most of that time.

Attacking American troops is not a reason? I'm pretty sure these people weren't innocents that were at the wrong place at the wrong time. We let over 1,000 go at the prison camp earlier last year for that reason. These were more than likely people who they thought still posed a threat. Oh and prisoners of war are not charged like a criminal in society.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

"1000 former Abu detainee's killed in action fighting Americans and coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan..."

Why dont you keep these ignorant and irrelevant statements to yourself. You know nothing about these people but you ignorantly generalize them. Most of those people are probably no different from the rest of us. Ignorant attitudes like your are the reason so many innocent people are killed and locked up.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by drinkinlikeafish
Why dont you keep these ignorant and irrelevant statements to yourself. You know nothing about these people but you ignorantly generalize them. Most of those people are probably no different from the rest of us. Ignorant attitudes like your are the reason so many innocent people are killed and locked up.

First up:

Welcome to ATS, good to see newbs here. You may want to read the TOS before you continue to post as personal attacks are against the TOS my friend.

My comments are no more relevent or ignorant than any others on these boards. Its your opinion that I am wrong and thats fine, but calling people irrelivant and ignorant will cut your time here at ATS quite short.

3 "ignorants" in one paragraph, wow that may be a record.

Oh, btw: I reported you to the mods for the attack, welcome to ATS and enjoy!

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
To all participants: We are currently discussing the following topic: "1,000 Prisoners Released From Abu Ghraib," within the "War On Terrorism Forum."

Discussing other topics, members, or the weather will be frowned upon by the Staff (in other words, only you can prevent “button clicky”)... If you wish to discuss other topics, members, or the weather please U2U myself, another Staff Member, or use the Gripe/Idea button.

We will now resume discussing the "War On Terrorism," which is already in progress...

Mod Monkeys, not just for being mesmerized by all the shiny buttons anymore...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Actually, those that wind up in Abu Ghraid have been caught doing something bad, or have tested positive for explosives/gun powder residue. Heck, many of these 1000 would be dirtbags we arrested!

BTW, is that pic from the Ghraib? I do not recall any temporary towers, nor tentage there. Things may have changed a little since I was there though. Those men are remarkably clean for being prisoners.

Meh...served their time...buh bye.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army

BTW, is that pic from the Ghraib?

That picture was taken this morning. Prisoners at Abu Ghraib standing in line to be released.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Its a shame a case of overcrowding and bad media bias may lead to murders being released. Anyhow, like Army said, they sure do look well cleaned and groomed for having just been in prison.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
they were released just because of a holiday???

are these 1000, the ones that commited crimes???

this sound like the bible:

"release barabus"

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I suppose the possibility that we're letting them go because they really are innocent is beyond the realm of possibilty to you guys...

new topics

top topics

join