It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 300,000 Protest Against War In Iraq

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
EDIT: If you read carefully, I implied djohnsto77 was arrested...
Not what I meant, of course...

I didn't see it that way since I'm a "he" not a "she"

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
My apologies, nonetheless....

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
ALL OF MY ORIGINAL POINTS STAND!

I don't think it makes any difference who arrested her. It is the particulars of the arrest (forceful or peaceful) and the following events (quick, kind release or extended prison stay) that will determine who will benefit most from this action.

People get arrested all the time here for civil disobedience during protests. I expect this to be the last spark of an extinguishing flame. Sheehan will probably fade away as she distances herself more and more from the political aims of the Democratic Party. Her backers will lose interest and her support base will crumble. Another sound byte resigned to 15-minute-purgatory.

Course, I could be dead wrong. This little tête-à-tête, Loam, will make watching to events to come a bit more fun. It will be like fantasy football, only more like fantasy politics. I'll start the Park Police as my defense. You can start Sheehan as your running back. We'll see who scores more points.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Only problem is that your coach looks a bit off his game...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I am not guided by party, I am guided by my own personal moral sense about what I feel is right or wrong with our country and our planet. And while there are examples of the left badmouthing the right wing, for the most part if I see 2 articles or letters about say, the war, one from the right wing for it and the other from the left against it, the odds are the one from the right wing will be the one bad mouthing the opposition, calling them traitors, america haters, bush bashers and other such bullhooey.

Come now grover. As I noted before, my intention is not to insult, but perhaps to inspire. I have been totally honest with you; but, have you been honest with me? I'm not sure...

there are hundreds if not thousands of right wing kooks

part of the right wing noise machine

Hey all you ignorant dittoheads...I haven't seen a word of outrage at that redneck from Waco

ATS Thread

I pulled those three from a single thread.

In this one, you call the President of the United States

Bush minor

ATS Thread
Clearly that is not meant as a compliment.

You also called him a

schlep
ATS Post
Not very kind, wouldn't you say, grover?

Then there was this beauty...

But no the wrong wing and the repuglicans have sold their souls to Bush
ATS Post

Finally, how could I not include this…

Originally posted by groverI certianly mean to demean that self-righteous, scantimonious, arrogant, ignorant son-of-a-bitch!!!
[ url= www.abovetopsecret.com...]ATS Post[/url]

Now, I’m not just trying to bust your chops here. Only to show you how quickly we all forget that we have all participated in this useless name calling. I want you to see that you, let alone the rest of the “left” (and “right”) are just as guilty as anyone of the very thing your original post seeks to decry.

As for your service record, I’ll not question it. I’m sure you served admirably, and I’m sure all Americans here appreciate your service, as do I (and you can rest assured that I am one of those saps who still endeavors to thank a veteran every Veteran’s Day). But, I’m not sure your service record is relevant here, even if you were called a traitor by some people at a protest,

Originally posted by grover just like she and her supporters were in Crawford so I sympthize and know what they went through. I may not know her but I am a human being and I can eympthize...and at the gut level most of us who support her efforts do

First, let’s be clear. Empathy and sympathy are distinct, separate things. Empathy means understanding another’s feelings, motives, situation, and often experience it vicariously, without having any direct objective experience yourself.

Sympathy, on the other hand, is the actual sharing of feelings with someone.

You may feel both, and that’s awfully nice of you (although I doubt you’ve lost a son to war, and therefore can’t truly be sympathetic); but, I still have a hard time believing that in 6 months, when Sheehan is likely to have faded from the spotlight, you or anyone else will still care about her or her dead son. That’s the difference between empathy and caring.

Let me be more blunt, at the risk of sounding rude (which is not my wish, so forgive me). Are you spiritual? If so, do pray for her and her son daily? Do you light candles for them? Did you send a card to express your sympathy or empathy? Did you attend the funeral? Were you friends? Did you offer to bail her out of jail? Have you consoled her, hugged her, sent her an e-mail? Did you send flowers?

Now, assuming you are a good person—which I do—and further assuming that you did few if any of the above things, HOW MANY DO YOU THINK THE REST OF HER SO-CALLED SUPPORTERS DID? Do you really believe that the folks at MoveOn sent her a card or said a prayer for her? Of course not. THEY ARE USING HER. When she is no longer an efficient tool, they will discard her and…wait for it…MOVE ON.

I’m not saying you are like this; but, I am saying that her “backers” and “supporters” and those generally responsible for thrusting her into the limelight, are like this. And, before you deny it, consider this…

If they really cared about her, why don’t they show the same concern to the 2,000 or so other mothers who have lost sons to this war? Where is their T.V. time? Where are their contributions? They don’t exist, of course, because they, for the most part, are not speaking out against the war.

No hate Bush/Iraq war = no friends at MoveOn.org.

So, I am honest enough to say that—while, like you, I empathize with Sheehan (I’m sorry for her loss)—I will probably not even remember her in 6 months. I just hope she knows that her “backers” probably feel the same way.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join