It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill To Increase Scope of DNA Collection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
While not up for a vote yet a highly controversial bill is making the rounds on Capitol Hill which would expand the FBI and other federal agencies capability to collect DNA from people both arrested and detained irregardless of charges. The bill sponsored by Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) has passed through the Senate Judiciary Committee and also has the backing of the White House.

www.washingtonpost.com
Suspects arrested or detained by federal authorities could be forced to provide samples of their DNA that would be recorded in a central database under a provision of a Senate bill to expand government collection of personal data.

The controversial measure was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee last week and is supported by the White House, but has not gone to the floor for a vote. It goes beyond current law, which allows federal authorities to collect and record samples of DNA only from those convicted of crimes. The data are stored in an FBI-maintained national registry that law enforcement officials use to aid investigations, by comparing DNA from criminals with evidence found at crime scenes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The part of this legislation that would be most frightening to me is the fact that detainees not charged of any crime would be forced to give a DNA sample to the authorities. Is it really right to collect this from people who arent being charged and may be released? If the DNA is requested from such people why is it not just demanded at birth? While that last sentence may seem extreme, is it all that far fetched if innocent and uncharged persons are required to give samples of their DNA?

[edit on 2-10-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   

The part of this legislation that would be most frightening to me is the fact that detainees not charged of any crime would be forced to give a DNA sample to the authorities.

Sadly, I believe this is already the case in the UK. Regardless of guilt anyone can have their fingerprints and DNA taken and stored.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Youd be surprised. As a nurse for my license, I had to submit a set of fingerprints and undergo an FBI background check.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I personally hope this bill doesn't pass through congress. If the government wants my DNA they can ask for it and I'll give it willingly, but if they demand it, or secretly try to take it, I'll fight it.

top topics

join