It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Seperation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
French is a dying language all over the world, so Quebec will be a non-issue in the future as more of their children use English to get on-line and communicate with the rest of the world.

The sad part is that the more Quebec feels their culture and language is being threatened, the more we will have to pay them. And they've already told us what will happen if we don't pay up. Over and over and over...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
The sad part is that the more Quebec feels their culture and language is being threatened, the more we will have to pay them. And they've already told us what will happen if we don't pay up. Over and over and over...

I think we both know that the threat to their culture is not coming from within Canada specifically.

Edit: The internet and mass media is the only threat to their culture and language.

We bend over backwords for Quebec, and we allow every Canadian citizen the right to practice every aspect of their culture that is within the laws of the land. (and we're very liberal in that respect, and only draw the line at female circumcision)

Quebec will need to realize that English is the future of the world and just get over it.

I may get some flak for this, but that bastardized version of what they call French is really not worth saving anyway.

Just to take this out of Canada for a sec.

Almost every country in the world is teaching their children the English language for the simple reason that they need to be able to communicate with the rest of the world.
No student leaves school in Japan without a command of the English language, and I bet that's the case in most countries now.
I know we have members from around the globe, it would be interesting to know what is being taught in your schools.
Is English a subject that every student must take???

Edit: added one line above.
Edit: nitpicking over spelling, sorry, might be OCD.

[edit on 26/9/2005 by anxietydisorder]

[edit on 26/9/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
A colleague I worked with this summer comes from the Phillippines and he had to take mandatory English over there.

English is definitely becoming the language of international communication. According to this, English is the third most spoken language in the world, behind Mandarin and Hindi.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Actually English is the number 1 spoken language as far as people who can speak it. Mandarin and Hindi are higher as far as native speakers.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I bet if Quebec ever did successfully secede and formed their own country or became a department of France the rest of the Canadian provinces would probably end up applying for U.S. statehood.

Only Alberta and Manitoba would be likely candidates.

Originally posted by Duzey

Let them seperate and loose 1/3 their territory which belongs to the Natives and have explicitly stated they don't want to leave Canada, they got an even sweeter deal then the Quebecers. On another note the majority of the resources in Quebec falls under Native jurisdiction too so if Quebec separates then they lose that as well.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
If the people of Quebec really want to talk about separation, they need to be realistic about it. Those land claims are serious business and the First Nations know who pays the bills. There's no way they will go for leaving Canada and supporting the new country off what they claim as their resources.

They aren't going to just stand quietly by for this. There will blockades, at the bare minimum. I'm old enough to remember the Oka crisis of 1990 and that was over a golf course.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I bet if Quebec ever did successfully secede and formed their own country or became a department of France the rest of the Canadian provinces would probably end up applying for U.S. statehood.

I doubt neither Alberta or any of the other western Canadian states will apply for U.S statehood.Canada`s already benefitted these states enough with accurate responses to storms(blizzards)and welfare/protection etc.
The westernstates wouldnt even consider US statehood but thats not to say the offer hasnt been made before.In the early 19th century during Canada`s union formation the U.S offered British Columbia to become apart of its union but the state refused and rather chose to become apart of the Canadian union for some reason.I believe the other northern states got influenced and did so to.

And about Quebecs seperation,i doubt the Canadian government will ever allow that to happen.If they did,Quebec would of been independent decades ago.Many people(mostly french decendant) have been protesting for Quebecs independents for years but the Canadian government has always tried to turn a blind eye.

I Quebec did become independent though,it wouldnt do too bad as a country.Many geographers and political analysts say they Quebecs GDP and overall statuas on its own would be equavelant to that of small European countries.Also many others states would want independents such as New Foundland,New Brunswick and possibly prince edward island.
Canada would be at risk of being erased.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join