It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does extraterrestrial life exist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistance
The Bible says we ARE the center of the universe. Since God was the only one who was there at the time, I'll go with the main eyewitness.

And science confirms we are in fact at the center. If we look out from a telescope in any direction from Planet Earth there is an equal thickness of stars -- indicating that Planet Earth is located smack dab in the middle of the universe.

First, the bible was not "faxed from god", it was written by man and man is fallible thus forth so is the bible.

Second, there is no "equal thickness" the milky way is easy to see and shows unequal thickness.

Third, even the catholic bishops revealed the other day that a literal interperation of the bible is wrong.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

"As examples of passages not to be taken literally, the bishops cite the early chapters of Genesis, comparing them with early creation legends from other cultures, especially from the ancient East. The bishops say it is clear that the primary purpose of these chapters was to provide religious teaching and that they could not be described as historical writing."

"They go on to condemn fundamentalism for its “intransigent intolerance” and to warn of “significant dangers” involved in a fundamentalist approach."

“Such symbolic language must be respected for what it is, and is not to be interpreted literally."

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

The Bible is a history book and God's biography.

Not an autobiography, thus forth if it's made by man it's fallible unless you're claiming the men who wrote it are perfect and gods themselves who make no mistakes.

The events in the Bible have been proved to be true -- many or most of them.

Wrong, faith means believing without proof, of which in regards to the bible, there many areas lacking proof.

As a history book, the Bible is as reliable as any other history book, bar none.

Even bishops now disagree.

Some of the holy men of old who wrote the Bible are Moses (first five books of the Bible including Genesis), Solomon, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, AND MANY MORE; Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, James.

Well it's good to see you now realize the bible was written by men, not god

and by the way the parts all fit together like a perfectly fitted puzzle with no missing pieces.

Really? Where is Jesus's life from the ages of 3 to 18, did I miss those chapters?

It's God's Word.

It's man's word, do you believe you're so great that you or any of us could truly read or comprehend the true language of god, or that it could even be contained by any "earthly" language?

The Bible says we ARE the center of the universe. Since God was the only one who was there at the time, I'll go with the main eyewitness.

Since you've flip-flopped and said Moses wrote Genesis do you believe Moses was there to "eyewitness" the creation of earth?

[edit on 6/10/05 by redmage]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

It's man's word, do you believe you're so great that you could even read or comprehend the true language of god or that it could be contained by any "earthly" language?

Scripture says: ".. no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old tim eby the will of man: but holy men of old spake as THEY WERE MOVED BY THE HOLY GHOST." II Peter 1:21

We also learn in Psalms 12:6 that: "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver ried in a furnace of eath, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt PRESERVE them from this generation for ever."

So God used man to write the Scripture. God also preserved his words, purified them seven times as in a furnace of earth (i.e. there were seven Bibles culminating in KJB) -- and they will remain preserved for ever.

This is God's job -- to inspire the words in Holy men of old, and to preserve those words forever.

Our job is to read those words and to believe them.

Problem -- people won't read them. People won't believe them. Not God's fault. What more can He do? He created us and everything we see. He came to earth and walked around here for 33 years, performing miracles, raising the dead, feeding the multitudes, healing the sick. He died on a cross and rose bodily the third day. For 40 days thereafter he stayed and visited with his followers, eating and fellowshipping with them in his glorified immortal body. Then he went back up to Heaven from whence he came. He's there now.

These things are fact. This is not a story written by some wild-eyed man who went in a cave and came out with a "holy book," as we have with Muhammad and the Book of Mormon or the Bahagavad Gita. The fact that the Bible was written over a period of thousands of years by many different holy men of God, yet all reenforcing the other and acting as a part of a puzzle to fit together perfectly -- this proves the Bible. The Bible proves itself. It is awesome. To pick that book up and know it's written by God (through men) and preserved so wonderfully for us -- it's a solid blessing that people should open their eyes and stop spurning. If the Creator of the entire universe is willing to give you a Bible you can read and believe, speak to you one on one, why do you turn up your nose at this?

Rather, accept it for the miraculous and wonderful blessing it is. Learn from it. The Bible will change your life. So let it.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Scripture says: ".. no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

To late, I assume you are reading an english text of the bible which has been translated and interperated by men.

Are these translators perfect and beyond error?

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver ried in a furnace of eath, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt PRESERVE them from this generation for ever."

So, are the english interperations purified as well considering some words don't translate perfectly? I'm sure you're not reading a non-translated version so it's not really preserved.

This is God's job -- to inspire the words in Holy men of old, and to preserve those words forever.

There is a fatal flaw in this, inspire and dictate are very different in meaning.

Inspiration leaves room for interperatation.

Not God's fault. What more can He do? He came to earth and walked around here for 33 years, performing miracles, raising the dead, feeding the multitudes, healing the sick. He died on a cross and rose bodily the third day. For 40 days thereafter he stayed and visited with his followers, eating and fellowshipping with them in his glorified immortal body. Then he went back up to Heaven from whence he came.

God did this? That's funny, I always thought it was his son Jesus.

These things are fact.

Again, Bishops agree that the bible is not all factual, are you second guessing them?

The fact that the Bible was written over a period of thousands of years by many different holy men of God, yet all reenforcing the other and acting as a part of a puzzle to fit together perfectly -- this proves the Bible.

You have yet to fill in the gap of Jesus's life from age 3 to 18 so which chapter was that?

It is impossible to encompass a complete history over thousands of years in so few pages thus there are many gaps.

why do you turn up your nose at this?

Like I said, even bishops disagree with a complete literal interpertation and warn of it's danger.

Rather, accept it for the miraculous and wonderful blessing it is. Learn from it. The Bible will change your life. So let it.

Yes it can, and it has helped many people, but you need to use the common sense god gave you as well.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
*sigh* Ask me how I knew this would turn into a "God thing."...just ASK...oh, nevermind!

How did you know?

This has really gone so far off topic it's rediculous.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by plop
I see 4 people voted no and i would like to know why they think no life exists elsewhere.

Ask and you shall receive.

I voted yes to other advanced intelligent life because mathmatically there has to be somewhere.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Hi,Ya!
I Gave up on this Topic because Resistance obviously Quit smoking Tobacco
and started Smoking Bible Pages.

Any how I would like to ask you 1 more question please :-)

You say the sun orbits the Earth right?

We have looked at far away systems using the "Wobble" effect
And Observed Planets Orbiting Its parent Star,....FACT.!!!

how do you explain this?

also, if the earth is still and the sun goes around the earth,
How come we have Volcanoes????

If you Don't understand that last Question then you Don't have the right to make your claims as you obviousely Don't have enought Knowlege on both sides of the argument. And your IQ must me Below freezing.

If you can't explain, you can't Make the claim.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
getting back to the topic.....
I vote that yes, extraterrestrial life does exist.

I must qualify that statement by saying, I have never had any personal experience or sighting or any other encounter.
My yes vote is because I feel that the numbers involved within all of the variables and possibilities that this question touches upon, leads to a mathmatic probability that life elsewhere, exists.
The sheer size of the numbers involved would lead me even to think that another version of human life probably exists elsewhere.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join