It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a 'new era' of hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Hurricanes seem to be getting worser and worser as we know it. Coming right after another, here and there. The subjects about global warming and El Nino have all caught us in a state of wonder. Increased activitity, and series of hurricanes have all got every everybody in the south in a big scare. It is the cause of rising gas prices and looting. Worse, more and more people are becoming homeless and having to start a new life all over again.

www.cnn.com
Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne tore up parts of Florida last year. After tweaking Florida, Katrina and Rita are wreaking havoc this year along the Gulf Coast from Alabama to Texas. But don't rush to blame it on global warming, experts warn.

Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, told a Senate subcommittee on Tuesday that we're in a period of heightened hurricane activity that could last another decade or two. "The increased activity since 1995 is due to natural fluctuations (and) cycles of hurricane activity driven by the Atlantic Ocean itself along with the atmosphere above it and not enhanced substantially by global warming," he testified.

"From 1970 to 1995, there weren't that many hurricanes, and the ones we had were nice, well-mannered, housebroken hurricanes that stayed out to sea and didn't make a mess," said Hugh Willoughby, a hurricane researcher at Florida International University in Miami. "The only thing I can say," he added, "is this run of good luck we had is ending." "This year you can just say nature is averaging out its climatology," said Colorado State University's famed hurricane predictor, William Gray. (See video of the science of the storm --3:55)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pretty odd to me.. One thing I do think is funny is that some people seem to have drifted off from El Nino. Some have thought it was George Bush,,I dont know who in the world would think of that. But the rising gas prices and people looting has just gone crazy. I can understand food, but not shoes, tv's, clothes and everything else. I feel bad for the homeless people, but I dont feel bad for the ones who are looting around.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

df1

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I voted yes for this story because it is a very relevant story. However the poster of this article apparently decided to make a political speech absolving gw bush of unspecified crimes and to make a denigrating attack on the poor & homeless, neither of which have anything to with the story.

Pretty odd to me.. One thing I do think is funny is that some people seem to have drifted off from El Nino. Some have thought it was George Bush,,I dont know who in the world would think of that. But the rising gas prices and people looting has just gone crazy. I can understand food, but not shoes, tv's, clothes and everything else. I feel bad for the homeless people, but I dont feel bad for the ones who are looting around.

I am prompted to ask the poster, did you actually read the article that you posted?

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
"Worser" isn't a word.

Why do they think automatically that what's going on isn't the norm anyhow? We've only been keeping track of this for a hundred years or so right? I'm pretty sure that's too small a span of time to know what's right and what isn't. MAybe the cycle is FIVE hundred years, our little niche of recorded climatology just isn't enough data to say anything.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
We're just in another period of high Atlantic basin hurricane activity -- we've had them before. We had just been lucky for about the last 2 - 3 decades that it's been relatively quiet.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Just maybe...it is because they have never had a chance to own such things? Maybe these poor people for once, want something nice. A nice T.V. clothes, etc, which they can't get?

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ask the old timers !

Seriously, I believe there were weird years back in the day too. Like I mentioned in another thread, current patterns are looking like hurricanes from the 1950's

People are getting quick to put the blame on other things.

While I wont say global warming etc isnt contributing, it isnt the only cause either.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The 1970's also had a lot of strong hurricanes.

IT is just another natural cycle, one we can't stop yet still build places in the way of them...

df1

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Dulcimer
While I wont say global warming etc isnt contributing, it isnt the only cause either.

We are clueless about our own planet. We have theories, but know nothing with any certainty about the interior working of the earth, the oceans or even the history of the planet. However I believe that the 'powers that be' know a lot more than is made available publicly. As for global warming I have my doubts, but the garbage we put in the air we breath and the water we drink should be a major concern everyone, global warming or not.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Hurricanes seem to be getting worser and worser

Worser and worser? So long as it doesn't get worserest we should be cool

as we know it. Coming right after another, here and there. The subjects about global warming and El Nino have all caught us in a state of wonder

The current hurricane activity is not anomalously high.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You know, Matt Drudge mentioned this in his radio address last night.. he was prompted by Streisand declaring a "Global Warning Emergency". He did the research, and spouted off on air all the category 5 hurricanes we've had in the past. Starting from 1932, he made a striking resemblance to the past 10 years of hurricanes we're seeing now. I counted 17 category 5 hurricanes between 1932 and 1960. Several of them spawning in the same year (much like rina and rita)

Of course none of the cat5's hit land.. but neither have any since 1996.

The media is shortsighted. What's happening now, could never have happened before. Atleast, that's what they tell us.

[edit on 9/26/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
df1: I should probably take this elsewhere with global warming, but I wanted to point out, that no matter who makes an argument about it, the amount of CO2 in the ozone has been steadily increasing everywhere since 1990 or so. Now, what does CO2 do in the atmosphere?

This is just another cycle, the media, and "experts" are just blowing this way out of the water. Even in our recorded weather history, we've seen storms like this, whether or not they've hit land is besides the point. The storms have been there, just as they were here this year.

new topics

top topics

join