It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does gifted intuition end and paranormal begin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I've never posted in this forum before. Frankly, I'm a bit of a skeptic....

But I am curious about this question...

Where does gifted intuition end and the paranormal begin?

I'd love to know some of your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well if you're using "gifted" in the sense of being blessed or having an ability to sense paranormal things, then I think your answer will only get speculations.

But in my own opinion, I think gifts never end that they are just a doorway to a full universe of gifts just waiting to be utilized. I think it's a discipline to learn to physically, emotionally, and spiritually handle one gift let alone any more. So in esscence, where one begins does not mean it ever ends, we've only begun to scratch the surface to these things and as science and physics only make up about 10% of what we know and speculate to be true, there's a whole new world awaiting us.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
No, actually I meant gifted as in extreme capability in a non-paranormal sense. Sort of an Intuitive IQ of sorts....

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I think I catch your meaning loom...

You're refering to intuitivly understanding things that shouldn't be easy to grasp, yeah?

I have a slightly freaky tendancy to put information together in my head, sometimes... I'm not sure how or why it happens, but I can usually understand chains of events that I really shouldn't know anything about.

Well, the short answer to your question would be, "who knows?". We have very little understanding of how the intuitive prosses works, so you could hang the term "paranormal" on ANY intuitive knowlage.

Am I anywhere near what you're getting at?

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I think that what we call intuition is actually the exercise of very basic, primal skills and observations that Humanity has learned to disregard as we have become less dependant on survival skills. These skills include things such as the ability to accurately gauge a person's emotional state or assess the veracity of what they are saying by the tone of their voice and their body language, the ability to assess a situation or an individual in terms of the potential for danger and the use of less obvious factors such as smell in assessing a person or situation.

In contrast, I would define paranormal abilities as skills which are more than assumptions or deductions gleaned through the application of our natural senses and experiences, including those which we have repressed over time.

Allow me to illustrate my meaning through a recent example. A friend of mine was recently tasked with hiring a new staff member for his store. One of the candidates was extremely well qualified for the position and one was less so. However, in assessing the superior candidate, my friend said that he had gotten a "bad feeling" from him. He thought it wiser to "trust his intuition" and gave the job to the less qualified individual. Has my friend exhibited paranormal abilities in assessing this individual? I think not. I think rather that my friend, both knowingly and unknowingly, utilised a range of factors, including some very primal factors such as smell, examination of body language and tone of voice, to form an opinion of this person. Often we do this unconsciously. We take notice of the way a person moves, the way they hold themselves, the way they speak and we choose to either like them or dislike them based on our assessments. Because we often do not recognise that we are engaging in this kind of assessment, we attribute our feelings regarding an individual to "intuition". Some may then take this further and assume that, because they did not consciously evaluate a person, that they possess some form of indirect paranormal ability. Empathy and telepathy are examples of two such abilities which may stem from natural, though misunderstood natural abilities which we all possess but seldom use consciously.

The same may be true of certain precognitive abilities. Again, allow me to illustrate my point through an example. My family owns some land in a remote area of Australia. One day, a local Aboriginal elder told me that it would rain later that afternoon, even though the day was bright and sunny. When it later did rain, I thought that surely here was an example of a paranormal ability - this man's spiritual connection with the land had given him precognitive insight into the weather. It was a sobering lesson when the elder informed me that he noticed the presence of certain birds and animals which, through experience and observation, he knew gathered together when rain was imminent. He also told me that he had felt the atmospheric pressure dropping steadily over the day, an ability he had honed over many years of life in the bush and one which was hardly paranormal in nature.

Intuition concerning experiences and situations can often be equally explicable. Is it any wonder when you walk down a dark street at night that you get a bad feeling? Is this some form of paranormal ability, or is it merely basic survival instincts guiding your actions and decisions? If a mother leaves her child alone and then gets a bad feeling that their child needs them, is this evidence of a paranormal link between mother and child, or is it simply maternal instincts that have held sway over Humanity for 200 000 years?

Truly paranormal abilities would involve obtaining information in ways which were wholly impossible to accomplish through natural means. For example, if I encounter a stranger and think to myself "I've got a bad feeling about this guy", we can reasonably put this down to intuition, which I believe is a combination of unconscious evaluations using a variety of means and senses. But if I look at the same person and somehow know their name, history, or other pertinent facts about them that I have no way of knowing beforehand, this may be an example of a paranormal ability. In the same way, if a mother leaves a child with a babysitter and later develops a bad feeling, or a feeling that their child needs them, and then returns home to discover that the house is on fire, this may be a combination of extreme intuition born of maternal instincts and coincidence. However, if the same mother was out and suddenly declared that she had to return home because her house was on fire, then this is more likely to be a manifestation of paranormal abilities.

I hope this has helped to address your question somewhat, loam. There is a fine line between intuition and the exercise of paranormal abilities. They share many features in common - both are ill-defined and are often used unconsciously - and more study is needed into the application of both, to better assess their veracity and examine their applications.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eden
Well if you're using "gifted" in the sense of being blessed or having an ability to sense paranormal things, then I think your answer will only get speculations.

But in my own opinion, I think gifts never end that they are just a doorway to a full universe of gifts just waiting to be utilized. I think it's a discipline to learn to physically, emotionally, and spiritually handle one gift let alone any more. So in esscence, where one begins does not mean it ever ends, we've only begun to scratch the surface to these things and as science and physics only make up about 10% of what we know and speculate to be true, there's a whole new world awaiting us.

A little off topic here but I see in your signature you have a pic of Clancy Brown from Carnivale. I used to work for a company he owned and I met and had lunch with him a few times. He is a very intriguing guy and very nice. Sorry to get off topic.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
I think that what we call intuition is actually the exercise of very basic, primal skills and observations that Humanity has learned to disregard as we have become less dependant on survival skills. These skills include things such as the ability to accurately gauge a person's emotional state or assess the veracity of what they are saying by the tone of their voice and their body language, the ability to assess a situation or an individual in terms of the potential for danger and the use of less obvious factors such as smell in assessing a person or situation.

from myself; this is a really good outline of a trait we all have to some degee, some moreso than others.
I remember an Animated Saturday Morning or AfterSchool TV show titled:
Action Man...in this case a He, would digitally calculate all the variables in some dire, life threatning situation...and would envision some
scenario of leaping thru the rotating blades of a falling helicopter, careening off the left side landing strut, decending the 40ft to the roof of a silo by making a series of summersaults, so as to control the speed and direction of the descending fall....the purpose of gaining a footfall on the silo roof was to bend the lightning rod - which would then cause the bolt of lightning, which ActionMan deduced was going to discharge precisely at that spot, to deflect into the air instead of traveling down the silos grounding wire, shorting within a pocket of methane gas found in most sileage...and resulting in a devestating explosion at the Pennsylvania Dutch dairy farm...which could have been blamed on a al-Qaieda cell in the heartland.

ActionMan has "total-Situational-Awareness", some have something akin to this ability, i suspect it occurrs in people like savant ability or prodigy ability
or art ability or athelitic ability or singing ability...but it would not be para-normal...nor would it be extraordinary...it would only be, kinda rare...

In contrast, I would define paranormal abilities as skills which are more than assumptions or deductions gleaned through the application of our natural senses and experiences, including those which we have repressed over time.

from myself; the term Para-Normal, by definition cannot be included in a list of One's Abilities or Skills...as these occurrances are caused by
"extra-ordinary" means or devices, much like 'miracles' which just happen- but are supposed, by some, to be an 'answer' to a prayer...

....However, if the same mother was out and suddenly declared that she had to return home because her house was on fire, then this is more likely to be a manifestation of paranormal abilities.

from myself; now that example is more in line with a 'para-normal'
event...a sudden epiphany moment, something 'out-of-the-blue', a vision or a internal message or some extraordinary input which causes you to either choose to act or involuntarily react...

Jeremiah25...
i think i'll go back and reread other posts you've made,
i have a different view after reading your reply.
see youse around

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't really think there is that much that is para-normal about the paranormal. If someone has an ability to move objects with their mind and they can do it on a regular basis, I think it is the same as running, swimming, etc and just another sort of skill. If it is possible. Surely if someone has been able to do telepathic things their entire life, it would seem as normal and natural to them as walking or talking. I don't like to think of the paranormal as a freakish set of occurances. It's not like people who experience the paranormal (specifically abilities) are like some sort of Superman or Spiderman that was bit by a radioactive spider. I believe that if paranormal abilities are possible (I have not been able to verify myself), then every person has the ability to use them with the proper training, etc, and it is a very normal and natural thing that we just don't know much about and haven't explored much as a species because it is less tangible than many other things in our world. Some people are just more talented and gifted in the area than other people; just like some people are good at running really fast while others can't even walk, some people are awesome at darts and some couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The only difference is that we can't see process responsible for the action in psychic abilities, whereas in physical activities we can see the muscles and ligaments move, etc.

The best way to learn is to spend a little bit of time trying to develop your own abilities and see if anything happens, if you are open to it and really want to see for yourself. Because you aren't likely to believe what anybody else says or does anyways.

It's good to be skeptical

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I don't really think there is that much that is para-normal about the paranormal. If someone has an ability to move objects with their mind and they can do it on a regular basis, I think it is the same as running, swimming, etc and just another sort of skill. If it is possible. Surely if someone has been able to do telepathic things their entire life, it would seem as normal and natural to them as walking or talking. I don't like to think of the paranormal as a freakish set of occurances. It's not like people who experience the paranormal (specifically abilities) are like some sort of Superman or Spiderman that was bit by a radioactive spider. I believe that if paranormal abilities are possible (I have not been able to verify myself), then every person has the ability to use them with the proper training, etc, and it is a very normal and natural thing that we just don't know much about and haven't explored much as a species because it is less tangible than many other things in our world. Some people are just more talented and gifted in the area than other people

Very Well Said!

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Thanks for an excellent reply Jeremiah25.

Isn't it interesting how little 'normal' intuition is studied? I am very "hunch" oriented with a pretty impressive success rate. I've never believed there was anything paranormal about it, but I have thought it strange given so many around me seem impressed by it and incapable of doing it with the same level of accuracy.

I should say, however, during the very infrequent times I miss...I miss big!

In any event, I also think it somewhat curious because I seem to have had this skill from a very early age. Which makes me wonder if intuition is hard-wired more firmly in some than others.....

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
My honest answer is this - there is no difference. I believe that everyone has the capability to use their senses like this. I think the word paranormal is just a word used by those who don't use these senses. Modern days don't require alot of intuit - so, evolution evolves us.

I think that's why women have it more - we care for infant that cant talk - we have to understand their needs without words.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
women have it more

I agree on this point.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
All paranormal people are in cooperation with alien species. None of the true gifted people miss some species' attention , therefore it would be unlikely that a paranormal person could be just practicing his abilities alone.

All other people are either coartists, or are too certain that they know anything at all.

new topics

top topics

join