It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Site-R Raven Rock (Images)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Site R is the Alternate Joint Communications Center located in Raven Rock mountain.

This site is interesting, there are some good pics

www.fas.org...

The initial concept for the Alternate Joint Communications Center was conceived in 1948. After 1949, the Soviet Union detonated its first nuclear weapon in 1949, a high priority was established for the Joint Command Post to be placed in a protected location with close proximity to Washington, D.C. for swift relocation of the National Command Authorities and the Joint Communications Service. In 1950, President Truman approved Raven Rock Mountain, Pennsylvania, as part of Camp Albert Ritchie, Maryland. This new site was named the Alternate Joint Communications Center (AJCC) Site R (R for Raven Rock). In 1951, construction of the facility began, and in 1953, the AJCC Site R became operational.

www.fas.org...

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by quaneeri]

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The link is either broken or the pics have been taken down.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The link works for me.

I find it interesting how they keep the place running after Fort Richie closed, and not relocated to the new base which they fall under in the CoC.

There must be something interesting happening there, probably SIGNIT. Thats my guess at least.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder
The link is either broken or the pics have been taken down.

I just tried it, pics still up.

Try this:

www.fas.org...

Then click on the Raven Rock Link.

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, July 28, 1998)

A ceremony July 17 at Fort Ritchie, Md., marked the end of an era and the closure of the post that has served the country more than 70 years.

More than 4,000 people were at the event, which was attended by U.S. Senator Paul Sarbanes and Congressman Roscoe Bartlett, both from Maryland, retired Lt. Gen. Vernon Walters and Military District of Washington Commander Maj. Gen. Robert R. Ivany. Also there as special guests were past commanders of the 7th Signal Command and Fort Ritchie's U.S. Army Garrison.

Fort Ritchie will not officially close until Sept. 30, but the ceremony was conducted this month in order that the more than 800 soldiers and civilian employees still working on the post could be involved. During the next two months, most of Fort Ritchie's workforce will relocate to Fort Detrick, Md., or Letterkenny Army Depot, Pa.

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by quaneeri]

top topics

join