It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you know the human soul exists?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer
I don't know that these experiences were not inserted into me during a trance or while being possessed, however I think that between hipnotizing someone to write something, or actually inserting a conscious experience into someone, the former is much easier, and out of the two, the one I won't believe.

Studies have shown it's trivially easy to implant false memories under hypnosis. That's why they had to quit using "evidence" obtained through hypnosis in court. It turned out people were remembering horrors they never experienced.

I am comfortable challenging my beliefs. However rather than challenging them through experience, you are asking me to challenge them by studying and reading others' experiences, which is in no way a logical and concrete way of challenging one's beliefs.

Actually, I was asking you to record your own experiences in a journal for later reference. You don't see any value in doing it, but that's up to you.

If it were me, I'd want to know the truth and not merely try to reinforce my preconceptions. If you record things and later show they could not have been true experiences, then you've falsified your position and are one step closer to truth. Typically, people latch onto experiences they can confirm and conveniently forget the experiences that don't match up with reality, or try to hand wave them away. "Well, maybe I'm incorrectly remembering that portion about still seeing the WTC standing in my vision, but the part about talking to my friend was confirmed, therefor these experiences are real."

You mentioned previously that the soul can be detected. How?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
Studies have shown it's trivially easy to implant false memories under hypnosis. That's why they had to quit using "evidence" obtained through hypnosis in court. It turned out people were remembering horrors they never experienced.

For all we know this is one large memory that was inserted during hypnosis. You certainly are not going to write a log about what you're experiencing daily, just to see if you could have imagined some of it.

If it were me, I'd want to know the truth and not merely try to reinforce my preconceptions. If you record things and later show they could not have been true experiences, then you've falsified your position and are one step closer to truth.

Let's think about this:

I have obe, and upon its finishing I make myself wake up. I write it all down, and realize that half of it was imagined, and half of it was objective. Since the astral (5th) dimension is changed due to thought, the imagined concepts would not make my experience any less meaningful. In any obe whatever you think becomes reality...

Through gaining consciousness in the astral dimension, and using your sensory perceptions to look at the body you currently inhabit.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   

For all we know this is one large memory that was inserted during hypnosis. You certainly are not going to write a log about what you're experiencing daily, just to see if you could have imagined some of it.

While it's true that everything I think I have experienced could be some kind of grand illusion, I don't have any reason to suspect that's the case. On the other hand, the 5th dimension argument is not confirmed by everyday experiences, but only by experiences that occur during an altered mental state. Maybe you're right and it all makes perfect sense, but you are not giving the appearance of being objective in this matter. I could be wrong of course.

Through gaining consciousness in the astral dimension, and using your sensory perceptions to look at the body you currently inhabit.

Can you also see the room around you when you project? (is that the right terminology?)

[edit on 3-10-2005 by spamandham]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

While it's true that everything I think I have experienced could be some kind of grand illusion, I don't have any reason to suspect that's the case. On the other hand, the 5th dimension argument is not confirmed by everyday experiences, but only by experiences that occur during an altered mental state.

What you call "every day" experiences, is referring to experiences in the third dimension. This is a subjective perspective, and I could just as well say that every day experiences are in the 5th dimension, as we spend quite a lot of our time there.

Can you also see the room around you when you project? (is that the right terminology?)

Yes right terminology
. Yes, you can see the room you are in, because everything in the physical dimension has an astral counterpart. Not everything in the astral (5th) dimension has a physical counterpart however, making objects that solely exist in that dimension.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Yes right terminology
. [/qoute]

Thanks for the clarification. I hate being ignorant about the basics when I'm learning.

Yes, you can see the room you are in, because everything in the physical dimension has an astral counterpart.

Ok, can you control when/where you will project to some degree, or is it spontaneous?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Ok, can you control when/where you will project to some degree, or is it spontaneous?

There are techniques that can be used to increase the chances of a conscious astral projection, but for me it is in no way at will. By focusing on one thing continiously, it is possible to get the body into a state of sleep, while mantaining consciousness, ergo a conscious astral projection.

It is possible to project anywhere in the physical; you can project in a plane, a car, living room, or your bedroom. If you meant if I can control where I project into the astral, there is some control to a certain degree. Most of the time you will just get up as you would in the morning, be able to see your physical body in the bed, and just go off. It is also possible to visualize a certain place, and be projected into that place upon the split.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Most of the time you will just get up as you would in the morning, be able to see your physical body in the bed, and just go off.

This is close enough. Your beliefs are objectively testable. Would you be interested in testing them?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

This is close enough. Your beliefs are objectively testable. Would you be interested in testing them?

Not really, what do you have in mind?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you have some control over when you project (not precise, but maybe on a given night), and you have some control over where (like your room), then it would be possible for a second party to set something up that you could only see in a projected state. For example, a symbol of some kind facing the ceiling that isn't visible unless you were looking down from over yourself.

Then, when you come back, record what symbol you saw and see if you got it right or not. If you consistently get it right, others would have to conclude the projections are not simply happening in your mind.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

If you have some control over when you project (not precise, but maybe on a given night), and you have some control over where (like your room), then it would be possible for a second party to set something up that you could only see in a projected state. For example, a symbol of some kind facing the ceiling that isn't visible unless you were looking down from over yourself.

The problem with such an experiment is that due to the subjectiveness in the astral, it is very unlikely that an objective (or as close as you can get to it) experiment can take place. With a probability of subconscious imagery getting in the way, and the uncontrollable nature of when these projections happen, it would be very difficult for a controlled experiment to take place.

Then, when you come back, record what symbol you saw and see if you got it right or not. If you consistently get it right, others would have to conclude the projections are not simply happening in your mind.

If such an experiment were to be sucessfully carried out, I think it would only aid the convictions of the projector, and possibly convince the second party of their objectiveness.

Anyone else, that did not take part of the expirement will probably dismiss it as another joke...

[edit on 6/10/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

If such an experiment were to be sucessfully carried out, I think it would only aid the convictions of the projector, and possibly convince the second party of their objectiveness.

Anyone else, that did not take part of the expirement will probably dismiss it as another joke...

A single experiment, yes, but if it were repeatable by others, and well documented as well as administered by parties with competing agendas, that would count as extraordinary evidence. It wouldn't prove the whole astral plane hypothesis, but it would prove that our minds are capable of nonbodily observation.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Well...At first I too had the belief that souls do not exist...but one day I was just too curious to Google about souls..so what I found on Google was that scientist had already carried out an experiment and found that human soul weighed 0.22g ..Well I thought it was perfectly rubbish Cause how can you weigh a soul?? But then lately it was in Newspapers that the researchers have interviewed many patients right after their surgery and many of them clearly were able to recollect what was going on in the operation theatre though they were unconscious at that moment ....Some of them said they had a clear view of the room from right hand side corner while some admitted that they had directly the front view of what was happening... Like out of body experiences....and this can only be possible if humans have souls...so I am now compelled to believe that souls do exist...They can neither be destroyed nor be created just like energy

edit on 16-10-2014 by kaira because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: eeper69

We can go back to basics here, and say, the only way for one to know would be when they "cross to the other side" and thus realise that they were wrong. I think that I do have a soul, however, I do not see it as being separate from my body, I see that the two go hand in hand. There is a "self" that exists in my mind, something that allows me to exist as separate from the outside world, a collection of thoughts and memories unique to my existence. You could call all that is endemic to ones individuality as their "soul" - what makes them, in a way, a unique point in space and time, an event that cannot be reversed, something that is eternal.

If you were not "you" then what would you be? You would not have a consciousness, you would just be another cause and effect, the basis from which one can think and act, and choose, is a point where they can govern the actions of their own body, and make decisions based upon their own conceptions and memories. This unique point, is the soul, in my terms, and trying to turn it into something that one can quantify is a mistake, as its nature is only relevant to each individual, and thus impossible to prove in relation to different individuals, or even, all other individuals.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

(1) Do you believe human beings have souls?

Yes. Before man was sent here, he was split down the middle. One part to become the soul, the other to control the vessel.

(2) What are the the compenents of a soul? Where is the "bright line" drawn between the soul and the body?

Spirit. The spirit sits inside of the body.

(3) Assuming you believe humans have souls, do you believe your soul is eternal? Why or why not?

The soul can be destroyed. But, in the event of removal, Father creates another to take its place. No one knows the old one was done away with, only a select few. This happens only if it is deemed necessary for the work/task to continue as planned.

(4) Assuming you believe humans have souls, when you die what sort of consciousness do you assume? (e.g. if you died after suffering from Alzheimer's for ten years is that how you'll spend eternity?)Could the soul possibly leave the body before death?

Yes. Mostly all souls leave the body before death, and the vessel is what feels the pain, not the soul.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

In my limited understanding, our Higher Selves are not individuals, but we are all part of the fabric of life. The illusion of a separate point of awareness is a result of our outward-facing experience in this reality. By that I mean that we get born, grow up and are thoroughly conditioned into completely identifying with our bodies and our minds. Our minds do not identify with Spirit, but rather with the body. In this way, the mind inherits the body's fearful nature, its perceived vulnerability and its fascination with the world. The closer you are to the true experience of the Presence of God, Spirit or whatever you choose to name it, the more at peace you will feel, because you will begin to reclaim your relationship to the invulnerable.

(2) What are the the components of a soul? Where is the "bright line" drawn between the soul and the body?
The Spirit is not a concept of this reality. We cannot define it in terms of this reality. Our origin beyond this reality is altogether a different set of circumstances outside of time. How on Earth can we comprehend this when our imaginations can only function on what our senses can report? It is like explaining the concept of colors to a flower. Sometimes it is healthy to allow Mystery to exist in your life.

(3) Assuming you believe humans have souls, do you believe your soul is eternal? Why or why not?
The very nature of Life is that we are connected to the Source of all life. We perceive ourselves as separated from God/Creator/All/Whatever, again because of our outward facing orientation. Our relationship with God and the reality from which we come means that we are in relationship to the invulnerable, that our essence exists outside of time.

(4) Assuming you believe humans have souls, when you die what sort of consciousness do you assume? (e.g. if you died after suffering from Alzheimer's for ten years is that how you'll spend eternity?) Could the soul possibly leave the body before death?
I have read that it is like awakening from a long and troubled dream. When we die and return to our Ancient Home, which is a place of pure being, we shed the confusion and the limitations of this reality, along with our personal selves that we have created in our brief lives here.

(6) Where was your soul before you were born?
Our Ancient Home, from which we come and to which we all return, is a place of pure being, while this reality is a place of work, a place of doing. We come here to find others, to engage in meaningful relationship and to contribute aspects of our Ancient Home in this reality - to contribute something permanent into an impermanent world. It is as if we become the fingertips of God in the world, provided that we are able to reclaim our relationship to our inner truth, which guides and protects us, and which holds the secrets to our deeper nature and the nature of our true contribution in the world.

I do not claim any of the above as my own ideas, I have gained this awareness through learning of the Greater Community Way of Knowledge - the essential and universal Spirituality.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

(1) Do you believe human beings have souls? (2) What are the the compenents of a soul? Where is the "bright line" drawn between the soul and the body? (3) Assuming you believe humans have souls, do you believe your soul is eternal? Why or why not? (4) Assuming you believe humans have souls, when you die what sort of consciousness do you assume? (e.g. if you died after suffering from Alzheimer's for ten years is that how you'll spend eternity?)Could the soul possibly leave the body before death? (5) Assuming you do NOT believe humans have souls, what sort of proof would you accept to change your belief? (6) Where was your soul before you were born?

Very good questions eeper. Unfortunately it is strictly a matter of theology. The word soul is really used loosely in most bibles. My understanding is that the soul is the human body (Gen_2:7) but I think you mean that it is the spirit of a created life form. I was taught that a human person was a soul and not had a soul.

My understanding of the bright line is that of the teachings of Moses.
Genesis_1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

It is taught that God is total invisible Spirit. To show His celestial creation, for their understanding, He brought forth His image to them and we understand that as "The Word of God"-- The Word of God is an entity with life force. It is not simply an extension of Spirit. In other words "The Word of God" is the image of the Spirit God and the Spirit God is the life force of "The Word of God" -- One is not without the other. God is therefore considered to His creation as in two portions but one God. This is the key to understanding what a human is.

Moses teaches that - And God said, Let us - meaning the Spirit God and The Word of God. - make man in our image meaning to make man in the image of "The Word" - after our likeness meaning to make man with a portion of life or spirit. Mankind is made in two portions and God is two celestial portions. As a person dies there is only one portion that has a substance change and that is the body or image.

Believe it or not, everyone talks to themselves. Your spirit controls your entire physicality. Before your physical body makes the decision of action it is your spirit that tells your body when and how to act. You and I are created two fold the same as God is two fold. God has His image and is Spirit and mankind has an image and a portion of spirit. God said "Let us" -- Spirit God directed His image (The Word) to act in creating a man. This is understood in John 1: 1-5 as the "Word of God" creating. This is why it is so important to realize that "The Word of God" has life within Himself as the image of God.

As the soul (body) dies the spirit is still alive and conscious. The Christian scriptures teach us that hell is a conscious realm of existence and that the kingdom of heaven is a conscious realm of existence. They also teach that we are appointed to die once and then judgment. We cannot be in hell or the kingdom of God without being judged. If this is true then it proves that the mind is not simply physicality but lives independent from the body and is believed to be that of the spirit.

As Adam was created, he was a dead soul. A lifeless body of flesh, bone, and blood. When the Spirit God breathed life into him he then became a conscious living soul. If true, this suggests that the consciousness or mind is not in the physical realm but in the spiritual realm. This is why the spirit is judged and sentenced to either heaven or hell at death. That spirit is responsible for action of the body.

As far as the infants and aborted or mentally challenged are concerned there is a long study in both Isaiah 65 and 66 in connection with other NT theology which suggests that in the new earth there will be a period of 100 years given to those who were not given the chance in salvation. It is too lengthy to show here.

A dead mortal body can show signs of life artificially but not naturally. The body cannot function without the spirit but the body receptors can be damaged and not respond to the spirit. The Spirit is given to the body as the body is conceived. The child has a spirit while in the mother unless it is a dead soul. The spirit was the life of God before that portion of life was given to the soul. I do not believe in reincarnation or preexistence of a created entity. That is not the doctrine of Christ Jesus. There are other religions that will subscribe to that theology.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
It seems like there's no difference between a soul and something that doesn't exist.

It's wishful thinking at best.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I would rather use the word "Spirit" instead of "soul" and the word "flesh" instead of "body".

The Spirit is within the flesh. I wouldn't say the flesh "has" a spirit because that assumes that the flesh is in control of it.

(2) What are the the compenents of a soul? Where is the "bright line" drawn between the soul and the body?

The Spirit is Love and has no need to focus on "survival". The flesh is selfish and revengeful and focuses on survival, therefore, The Spirit is Selfless Love and the flesh is selfishness.

God is eternal and God is Love and since The Spirit is Love, then yes, it's eternal.

(4) Assuming you believe humans have souls, when you die what sort of consciousness do you assume? (e.g. if you died after suffering from Alzheimer's for ten years is that how you'll spend eternity?)Could the soul possibly leave the body before death?

Without the flesh there is nothing stopping The Spirit from being super-conscious, since The Spirit is the true high consciousness. The flesh is low consciousness because with more awareness of self there is less awareness of others which means that in general its a lower awareness. The Spirit is super-conscious because with more awareness of others, the bigger picture can be seen. Self-centeredness puts awareness in a small box whereas loving others is like taking awareness out of that box to be aware of others and how they feel and their point of views.

(6) Where was your soul before you were born?

In the beginning there was God and God is The Light and God is Love. God breathe Life into the flesh. This Life is The Spirit which is Love and Light and there is a spiritual struggle between the flesh (which is selfishness and of low awareness focusing on self) and The Spirit which loves others and sees the bigger picture (greater awareness). We are The Life within the flesh. We are The Spirit and we can shine our Light with good deeds to glorify God in Heaven or we can let the flesh take over with low awareness and selfishness.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jhill76

As for souls leaving the body before death, does this happen with animals, too?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tattooedlunchlady

I'm still wondering about this, and hoping for an answer. Does God care about animals and their suffering? Does he help them out in this way, too? I hope so much that this is true.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join