It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you know the human soul exists?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer
I suggest someone comes up with a definition of soul to be used in this post. I will use this one, although if someone else comes up with another one which the majority agrees with we can switch it.

Soul: (n) All matter, that does not reside in the physical dimension, that is controlled by your consciousness.

I applaud you for recognizing that it's silly to discuss the existence of something without first at least defining what the thing is that's being discussed.

However, your definition doesn't work, since "matter" only has context in the physical world.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
However, your definition doesn't work, since "matter" only has context in the physical world.

The word matter can be expanded to include matter from other dimensions. That is to say matter that is vibrating at a much higher frequency than physical matter.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The word matter can be expanded to include matter from other dimensions. That is to say matter that is vibrating at a much higher frequency than physical matter.

If you're simply referring to other natural dimensions (assuming there are some), then why does ordinary matter not also exist in those dimensions?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

If you're simply referring to other natural dimensions (assuming there are some), then why does ordinary matter not also exist in those dimensions?

It does, you're the one who said that matter can only exist in the physical dimensions....

What do you mean by "natural" dimensions?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

What do you mean by "natural" dimensions?

That which is potentially observed, or inferred from observation.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

That which is potentially observed, or inferred from observation.

Alright, then can we agree on the original definition?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Alright, then can we agree on the original definition?

If matter exists in more than the directly observable dimensions, then matter controlled by your mind is not unique from any other matter in that regard. I don't see how bringing extra dimensions into the definition makes any sense then.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

If matter exists in more than the directly observable dimensions, then matter controlled by your mind is not unique from any other matter in that regard. I don't see how bringing extra dimensions into the definition makes any sense then.

I have broought the extra dimensions clause into the definition to distinguish your physical body from your soul. If the definition were: "Matter controlled by your consciousness" this would not differentiate the soul from the physical body.

The only uniqueness or difference that the matter in the physical has from matter in another dimension, is that the physical matter is vibrating at a lower frequency.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
When My mom passed, I had been holding her hand. When she exhaled her last breath, I witnessed something that I can only describe as "smoke"
leave her mouth. There was no drooling, or anything like that, just a great puff, and it disappated just as quicckly, with that immediately all the color had left her face, and she was gone. I felt compelled to run to the window and open it so her spirit could leave the room.

I do believe this was her soul, leaving her shell, and going to a different plane.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I have broought the extra dimensions clause into the definition to distinguish your physical body from your soul. If the definition were: "Matter controlled by your consciousness" this would not differentiate the soul from the physical body.

Agreed.

The only uniqueness or difference that the matter in the physical has from matter in another dimension, is that the physical matter is vibrating at a lower frequency.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about with vibrations. Would it be fair to distinguish the sould from matter we perceive simply by distinguishing between vibration levels? If so, what do you mean by "vibrating" in this context?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Would it be fair to distinguish the sould from matter we perceive simply by distinguishing between vibration levels? If so, what do you mean by "vibrating" in this context?

Yes exactly. Under the string theory everything is composed of strings vibrating at different frequencies.

There is matter that is vibrating at such high frequencies that it is out of our sensory perceptions. We cannot touch, see, or hear it. This is the matter I'm referring to that can be controlled by your consciousness and thought of as your soul.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Yes exactly. Under the string theory everything is composed of strings vibrating at different frequencies.

From my limited understanding of string theory, the extra dimensions are "rolled up" so that we don't really perceive them. That being the case, all matter actually exists in these extra dimensions, we just don't notice it. If so, how is the matter associated with souls distinct from non-soul matter?

There is matter that is vibrating at such high frequencies that it is out of our sensory perceptions.

I'm a string theory layman, so maybe what you're talking about makes sense and I'm just ignorant, but I still don't understand what makes the matter controlled by consciousness distinct from other matter regarding vibrations and unseen dimensions.

Can you explain why you belive that the matter controlled by consciousness in these unseen dimensions is vibrating at higher frequencies than ordinary matter (whatever that means)?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   

From my limited understanding of string theory, the extra dimensions are "rolled up" so that we don't really perceive them. That being the case, all matter actually exists in these extra dimensions, we just don't notice it. If so, how is the matter associated with souls distinct from non-soul matter?

I've never actually heard they're rolled up, but that could be the case. We certainly don't perceive them with our physical bodies, but one can argue that we perceive them with bodies pertainting to those dimensions. ie. perceiving 5th dimensional matter with a 5th dimensional body... It is distinct because "soul matter" cannot be perceived with physical senses.

I'm a string theory layman, so maybe what you're talking about makes sense and I'm just ignorant, but I still don't understand what makes the matter controlled by consciousness distinct from other matter regarding vibrations and unseen dimensions.

To differentiate extra-dimensional matter and our souls, we must make a distinction on whether or not we control that matter, this just means that we can consciously take control of it. Just like we can consciously control our physical body during our waking state, so too can one argue that one can control the 5th dimensional body during sleep.

Can you explain why you belive that the matter controlled by consciousness in these unseen dimensions is vibrating at higher frequencies than ordinary matter (whatever that means)?

It doesn't really matter if it is vibrating at a higher or lower frequency. All that matters is that it is vibrating at such a frequency that our physical senses cannot perceive it. Our physical senses can perceive per say 1000 vibrations per minute to 20 000 vibrations per minute (all hypothetical) and a 4th dimensional object may be vibrating at 45 000 vibrations per minute.

[edit on 27/9/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It seems that what you're saying is that what distinguishes soul matter from ordinary matter is that it is undetectable in the 5th+ dimensions, whereas, I suppose, ordinary matter is?

If it is untedectable, what makes you think it is there?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

It seems that what you're saying is that what distinguishes soul matter from ordinary matter is that it is undetectable in the 5th+ dimensions, whereas, I suppose, ordinary matter is?

If it is untedectable, what makes you think it is there?

What distinguishes "soul matter" from ordinary matter is that "soul matter" is not perceivable by physical sensory perception. This, however, does not mean it is undetectable. It is detectable in the dimensions where it resides. If I were in the 5th dimension, in a 5th dimensional body, I could detect 5th dimensional matter, and not 3rd dimensional matter, yet 3rd dimensional matter would not be undetectable.

We should come to a consensus on the definition of the word soul soon, so that this thread can continue on its intended course...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

What distinguishes "soul matter" from ordinary matter is that "soul matter" is not perceivable by physical sensory perception. This, however, does not mean it is undetectable. It is detectable in the dimensions where it resides.

This is the crux of the matter. You imply that this matter is different because it vibrates differently, but now the distinction is that it is undetectable. I thought we were getting somewhere until that. If it isn't detectable, what reason do we have to even suspect it might be there? If you say something to the effect of "because we can't prove it isn't":

"I'm afraid I'll have to kill you".

(the killing business is a joke of course, based on the classic Monty Python cheese sketch. Had this been an actual death threat you would have been directed toward the nearest parrot shop)

We should come to a consensus on the definition of the word soul soon, so that this thread can continue on its intended course...

I can't help but think these questions are making you uncomfortable/annoyed and you are looking for a reason to soon brush me off. Please prove me wrong. It's a rare treat to go on even this long without an ad hom, and my ignore list is growing too quickly to be sustainable.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

This is the crux of the matter. You imply that this matter is different because it vibrates differently, but now the distinction is that it is undetectable. I thought we were getting somewhere until that. If it isn't detectable, what reason do we have to even suspect it might be there? If you say something to the effect of "because we can't prove it isn't":

It is not undetectable, I tried to highlight that in my last post. It is undetectable with physical sensory perceptions (if it was detectable it would not be "soul matter") BUT it is detectable with 5th dimensional sensory perception, 6th dimensional sensory perception etc...

my ignore list is growing too quickly to be sustainable.

Luckily I don't have that problem

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It is not undetectable, I tried to highlight that in my last post. It is undetectable with physical sensory perceptions (if it was detectable it would not be "soul matter") BUT it is detectable with 5th dimensional sensory perception, 6th dimensional sensory perception etc...

What are 5th and 6th dimensional sensory perception?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

What are 5th and 6th dimensional sensory perception?

Senses, located on the 5th, and 6th dimensional bodies (or soul) that can detect 5th, and 6th dimensional matter.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Senses, located on the 5th, and 6th dimensional bodies (or soul) that can detect 5th, and 6th dimensional matter.

What makes you believe such senses exist?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join