It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Woman Has To Be Fat To Be Beautiful

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
In Mauretania (Africa) force-feeding of young women is still a common practise, but not as much as it used to be. According to a government survey from 2001, more than one fifth of the women were force-fed as young girls. The force-feeding is carried out because of an ancient belief that fat women make more desirable wives. Torture is a part of the force-feeding technique known as gavage.

IOL: 'A woman has to be fat to be beautiful'

September 23 2005

Mariem Sow was a little girl when her sister Zeinabou choked to death in front of her while being force-fed camel's milk by a family slave. Beaten if she refused to swallow the rich diet of sweetened milk and millet porridge, Zeinabou was one of many Mauritanian girls fattened up because of an ancient belief that fat women make more desirable wives. "As soon as my older sister was 12 they started force-feeding her so she would be plump by 15.

More than one in five women were force-fed as young girls, according to a government survey from 2001.

The force-feeding technique known as gavage - a French word more closely associated with fattening up geese to produce foie gras - is less widely practised than it used to be after the government launched campaigns to highlight the health risks. But the cult of fatness has deep roots.

Gavage left some women struggling to walk, not just because of their weight - which often tops 90kg - but because they were tortured as they were force-fed. Some had their fingers or toes broken so the pain would distract them from having to swallow the milk and porridge. Others had their feet crushed by a zayar - a wooden vice which would only be loosened once they ate.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a BIG problem for women in Mauretania but what can be done? Nothing..., because it`s their country, their tradition and all. We are not to tell them what to do. And if they want to be fat, then it`s really up to themselves. But it does sound pretty harsh to use torture to force-feed young girls...

Related Links:
Country profile: Mauritania (BBC)

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What is the differences they force feed their young girls so they get fat. Right?

Here in the US we still feed then to be fat, but we don't force them. Right.

One is unwillingly in a third world country the other one is in willingly by means of food choices in a affluent country like the US.

Now what you said it was? Oh, a mean of torture, Right?

I guess it depends the point of view of the one making the comparison.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If I might add, although it isn't as overt as phsyically force-feeding, it is western tradition to psychologically force young girls to not eat so much, and in a way for the same reason. Our tradition/society places more emphasis on skinny females as attractive, theirs places more emphasis on fatter girls. Either way it's a rather shallow way to go IMO.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
We should trade our fat women for their thin women...then everyone would be happy

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Historically and anthropologically, big women = fertile women.

Big boobs = better nursing ability

Big hips = better "bearing" ability

(we know that these aren't necessarily true, btw).

It's just tradition.

At least those girls aren't being pumped full of preservatives, fast food and "low fat" frankenfoods.

It's only recently really that thin has been "in" (and by recent I mean "within the last 150 years or so); prior to that, skinny meant you were generally last on the list of "Marriable Women". Even in the West

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

It's only recently really that thin has been "in" (and by recent I mean "within the last 150 years or so); prior to that, skinny meant you were generally last on the list of "Marriable Women". Even in the West

You exactly right, I am very happy with my hips thank you.

Now you are also right about the women link to thinness as beauty, it actually got "in" in the sixties with the model "Twiggy" pencil thin women was advertised as pretty.

But if you look at the statues of the ancient sculptures and the pictures of ancient painters Women were plump and healthy looking.

That was beauty in their time.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
All they really need to do is build a McDonalds on every corner like most countries in the west and that will fatten the whole lot of them up.

How does that old saying go, "A fat chick is like a moped, they're fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you on it." wait, wait...that was terrible. I'm sorry.

I might want to visit that country though, all the undesirable women will be the ones i'd be chasing. Do they allow more then one wife?

I know, I know, I shouldn't be laughing. Still, considering some of the other atrocities women are put thru in this world, fattening them up seems mild. Especially compared to things like genital mutilation.

We live in a messed up world.

Wupy

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

It's only recently really that thin has been "in" (and by recent I mean "within the last 150 years or so);

*sigh * it's so hard to keep up with the latest trends, it really is.

It's just utterly EMBARRASSING when your boobs go out of fashion in the middle of a dinner party.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is great news for those of us who thought they were starving over in Africa...

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm built for comfort and not for speed

All that matters is that you can feel comfortable with yourself.

I'm comfy and my husband thinks i'm beautiful! Who needs to be like Twiggy?

Pleeeze

I suppose skinny like Olive Oil is real attractive- not in Europe or latin American countries...they'll shoot your skinny butt . I mean it!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Very true, before that it was seen as a sign of wealth that you could afford to eat so "well".

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I`m surprised no one noticed that this girl was being "force-fed camel's milk by a family slave"...

You think slavery is something from the past? Think again, slavery still excist.

Slavery: Mauritania's best kept secret (BBC)

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Unfortunately slavery still exists in many places

The following places are still considered guilty of human trafficking and slavery:

UAE
North Korea
Sudan
Venezuela
Bolivia
Saudi Arabia
Togo
Qatar
Kuwait
Myanmar
Jamaica...

I doubt this list is all-inclusive.

It's an issue I fight against, but it's rarely mentioned in Western media. I'm not entirely sure why, but there does seem to be a pervasive sense of "If it's not in our back yard....".

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I`m surprised no one noticed that this girl was being "force-fed camel's milk by a family slave"...

Life is hard in third world countries specialy for women, religious beleives has a lot to do with it, traditions and culture.

We could be doing the same in the US leave it to fundamentalist and we women will become incubators of procreation and the pleasure will be only for the owners of the women body.

Itsn't the world a nice pleace to be thanks to human kind?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Americans (for the most part) do not become fat in a three year period...which is VERY unhealthy. The story stated that the girls sister started to be force-fed at age 12 so she could be plump by 15....three years of force feeding is, imo, an accelerated American Diet.

Apples and Oranges.......

Americans have the choice to be fat or not....these women that are force-fed have no choice...well they do, but I would hate to see what would happen if one refused. Fat Americans make a culture and spend many years becoming fat....like my father says: Son, it took me years to get this gut. Im not about to lose it now.

[edit on 24/9/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

We could be doing the same in the US leave it to fundamentalist and we women will become incubators of procreation and the pleasure will be only for the owners of the women body.

Ahhh, if only the world were a perfect place

Just kidding BTW...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I doubt this list is all-inclusive.

I guess you can add Moldova to that list...

12 White Slaves Halted on the Border

And Moldova is considered as a part of Europe as well...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
This is great news for those of us who thought they were starving over in Africa...

Hmm. That is weird, isn`t it?

BBC: West Africa hunger map

"Niger, Mali, Mauritania and Burkina Faso have been badly affected by food shortages."

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Oh, I dunno...it's not difficult to gain 50lbs in 3 years, on an American diet.

Not difficult at all.

Not every obesity-afflicted person did it over a 20 year period, yanno?

But yes, you're right - it's different. I think everyone understands that though.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
For some reason I don`t believe the slavery in Mauretania will be over until the fat lady sings...

But that`s gonna take a while in this part of the world, I guess...

[edit on 2005/9/24 by Hellmutt]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join