It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suit to Stop Gun Confiscation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
A suit has been filed in US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana for a temporary restraining order to stop the confiscation of lawful citizens' legally owned weapons.

washingtontimes.com
Two national gun rights groups yesterday joined individual Louisiana gun owners in a federal lawsuit to stop authorities from confiscating firearms from private citizens in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
The National Rifle Association (NRA) and the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) filed a motion in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, seeking a temporary restraining order to halt the seizures of guns from law-abiding citizens. They described the confiscations as "arbitrary," "without warrant or probable cause" and thus "illegal."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Better late than never: the NRA and SAF have decided to step up and join with two local gun owners to halt the illegal and unconstitutional gun grab.

I was disappointed to not find any reference to the fact that although New Orleans Police Superintendent P. Edwin Compass III stated that only police would be allowed to have weapons, the private security groups hired by the rich and elite were not subject to confiscation, only private citizens were.

If this suit is successful the damage that has already been done may be minimized. However, if this suit fails, it will set the legal precedent to invalidate the Second Amendment to the Constitution and the eventual disarming of all US citizens (except of course for criminals and private security).

Related News Links:
www.nraila.org
www.americanthinker.com
www.sierratimes.com
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Fortunately, the guardians of liberty, the NRA, have been hard at work on this issue.

www.nraila.org...

www.nraila.org...

Naturally, there are idiots who just don't get it:

liberaldoomsayer

[edit on 2006/9/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I wish them all the luck in the world with this legal battle, but my fear is that it is unwinnable. I do hope Im wrong.
Nice work Jaryn. Im putting this thread in my favs and will check back from time to time.
Please keep an eye on it and update whenever possible, Im currious how this will turn out.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It won't go well for government taking guns because South Louisiana is all about the guns.
Sportsman's paradise, state motto.
The only family member, down here, whose household has no guns is my Aunt's (she graduated from Berkley, and no one really understands her really liberal views on things).

If they tried to take away someone's guns down here, remember: Many stretches of road follow the bayou, and have long sections where it is the ONLY way in/out. Neighborhoods are often designed the same way. Whole generations of family live along the same stretch of road, and if you mess with one, they will call their family up and get a road block going. It's been done, and is still done. You aren't getting out, and you won't be found, and you won't be identified with the people who did you in, except by rumor. Wannabe drug lords have tried to set up shop, and dissappear, in spite of the whole coast being a good place to run drugs in. you work through the locals. (still have drugs, jsut no locally set up big time outsiders) Game wardens come across the wrong person, and are never seen again, in spite of their large family ties. Your car is an extension of your home. You can carry a gun in your car.

While the people are laid back, it is never a good idea to mess with any of them, unless they know you. Then it's still not a good idea.

My point? That's not going to go well down here, once people notice it's going on.

[edit on 5-9-2006 by jlc163]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
South Louisiana is pretty much one-mind about this. That's why this is going to be bad.

Now if all of these guns were taken right after Katrina, when all those guns were stolen from the local wal-mart, that would be one thing. People down here would tolerate it, a small bit....it was the best time to get away with taking people's rights away without too much complaint. If this is still happening, then there's going to be some major issues.

But this does need to go to court. Instead of chasing down the rapists and murderers, they were taking away guns.

[edit on 5-9-2006 by jlc163]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Oh, yeah....

I remember now.

It was because of this incident that they put legislation through Louisiana Government that made it illegal for that to happen during times of distress.

top topics

join