It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stage 5 Pandemic Risk: If this doesn't scare you, nothing will!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
wow this is horrible

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The potential for H5N1 to impact the world is indeed terrifying, especially when things such as this are happening:

M2 inhibitors are a further class of drugs, which include amantadine and rimantadine. Unlike zanamivir and oseltamivir, these drugs are inexpensive and widely available and the World Health Organization had initially planned to use them in efforts to combat a H5N1 pandemic. However the potential of these drugs was considerably lessened when it was discovered that the People's Republic of China has been administering amantadine to poultry with government encouragement and support since the early 1990s, against international livestock regulations; the result has been that the strain of the virus now circulating in South East Asia is largely immune to the medication and hence significantly more dangerous to humans

From Wikipedia

If the world is going to be succeed in stopping a pandemic from occuring, all nations need to be vigilant and follow international regulations.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Add Dog Flu to the list.
I just saw this one yesterday.

"A new, highly contagious and sometimes deadly canine flu is spreading in kennels and dog tracks around the country.

The virus -- which scientists say mutated from an influenza strain that affects horses -- has killed racing greyhounds in seven states and has been found in shelters and pet shops in many places, including the New York suburbs, though the extent of its spread is unknown.

How many dogs die from the virus is unclear, but scientists said the fatality rate is more than 1 percent and could be as high as 10 percent among puppies and older dogs.

She added that because dogs have no natural immunity to the virus, virtually every animal exposed will be infected. About 80 percent of dogs that are infected with the virus will develop some symptoms, Crawford said. She added that the symptoms are often mistaken for "kennel cough," a common canine illness that is caused by the bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria."
Full Story in the Detroit News

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis
Add Dog Flu to the list.
I just saw this one yesterday.

"A new, highly contagious and sometimes deadly canine flu is spreading in kennels and dog tracks around the country.

The virus -- which scientists say mutated from an influenza strain that affects horses -- has killed racing greyhounds in seven states and has been found in shelters and pet shops in many places, including the New York suburbs, though the extent of its spread is unknown.

How many dogs die from the virus is unclear, but scientists said the fatality rate is more than 1 percent and could be as high as 10 percent among puppies and older dogs.

She added that because dogs have no natural immunity to the virus, virtually every animal exposed will be infected. About 80 percent of dogs that are infected with the virus will develop some symptoms, Crawford said. She added that the symptoms are often mistaken for "kennel cough," a common canine illness that is caused by the bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria."
My dog has "kennel cough" right now and my chest has been feeling "heavy". Thanks for posting this.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
On September 27, 2005, Recombinomics Commentary noted:

Hospitalization of Brothers and H5N1 Positive Zoo Visitor

...9 year old Jimima Napitutupulu has tested positive for H5N1 bird flu. She is the first visitor to Ragunan zoo to test positive for H5N1.

Two other zoo visitors...admitted to Suliant Sarosos yesterday wth bird flu symptoms. The three visitors demonstrate that the transmission of H5N1 to humans is becoming increasingly efficient.

The growing number of H5N1 positive cases suggests that H5N1has moved to stage 5 in Indoinesia. The clusters of cases is growing, both within families as well as those who visited the zoo. However, clear linkage between the clusters has not been established, indicating widespread infections from multiple sources.

...It seems likely that the number infected at the zoo is large, and only the most severe cases are being admitted. The possibility of widespread silent transmission of H5N1 has not been adequately addressed. Zoo visitors with symptoms appear to be increasingly likely to be H5N1 positive.

Monitoring of H5N1 in humans in southeast Asia remains scandalously poor.

Uggggggggghhhhh!

[edit on 27-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
For those who mentioned the dog flu, which I have also been watching for a little more than a week, here you go...

What I didn't know was any of this!

H3N8 Widespread in Companion Dogs in the United States

...the potential for the H3 in H3N8 to become involved in human infections is very real... the rapid spread of H3N8 through pet dogs in the United States probably poses the greatest threat for human infections, since the pets a popular and frequently kept indoors with frequent encounters with adults and children.

Although H3N8 has not been reported in humans, the dramatic expansion of the host range and geographical range by H3N8 could create new opportunities for genetic exchange of information via reassortment or recombination. This could also impact dual infections by H5N1. There have been some reports of H5N1 in dogs in Thailand, so H3N8 in dogs could offer a new species for acquisition of a human receptor binding domain by H5N1 avian influenza.

Oh, brother....

[edit on 27-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
loam - you did not respond to my last post. Was hoping you would. In case you missed it, it's at the bottom of the first page.
Post Number: 1711960 (post id: 1733853)

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Soficrow, I did miss this...

Originally posted by soficrow
THE POSITIVE SPIN:

Don't think of it as disease, think of it as adaptation and evolution in action.
"Disease" is the pain of assimilation, adaptation, and evolution. Nothing more, or less.

OK, but that doesn't sound like a very positive spin to me.....

I can hang with the "assimilation, adaptation, and evolution" part, it's the "pain" part I don't like at all....

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Soficrow, I did miss this...

THE POSITIVE SPIN:

Don't think of it as disease, think of it as adaptation and evolution in action.
"Disease" is the pain of assimilation, adaptation, and evolution. Nothing more, or less.

OK, but that doesn't sound like a very positive spin to me.....

I can hang with the "assimilation, adaptation, and evolution" part, it's the "pain" part I don't like at all....

I've been grappling with this for a while, and it's the best I can do. ...Have ranted and raved about inadequate insurance coverage; tracked the early development of stem cell therapies, up to its availability only to the very wealthy elite (it's the only treatment that 'cures' the cell changes caused by prions).

...Have concluded that yes, all life on earth is mutating, adapting, and evolving - including humans. So-called diseases are the evolutionary process - at this point, treatments and cures are efforts to freeze mankind into an ecologically incompetent stasis. ...The good part will come when the big boys start pushing euthanasia for the "incurably debilitated," and "genetically inferior." Like, who can play God and know what mutation will work best in the long run? And that's the part that really scares me, not the pain...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   

..at this point, treatments and cures are efforts to freeze mankind into an ecologically incompetent stasis...

There, I disagree. In my view, those activities are no different than placing food into your mouth or seeking necessary shelter. If our species is capable of developing such cures and treatments, then those acomplishments are really no more remarkable than the myriad ways other species pursue self preservation.

...The good part will come when the big boys start pushing euthanasia for the "incurably debilitated," and "genetically inferior." Like, who can play God and know what mutation will work best in the long run? And that's the part that really scares me, not the pain...

No question humanity should remain ever vigilant against such possibilities. Unfortunately, I have to agree, our success in pursuit of "survival" has already placed us at a very real risk of sliding down this very dangerous slope. Hopefully, the "good guys" will prevail.

[edit on 28-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by eeper69

Originally posted by Nemithesis
Add Dog Flu to the list.

~snip~

She added that the symptoms are often mistaken for "kennel cough," a common canine illness that is caused by the bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria."

My dog has "kennel cough" right now and my chest has been feeling "heavy". Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome, do take care of yourselves!
Bacteriological lung infections can really be a dog (no pun intended) to clear up, even with the new high-powered antibiotics available today.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

..at this point, treatments and cures are efforts to freeze mankind into an ecologically incompetent stasis...

There, I disagree. In my view, those activities are no different than placing food into your mouth or seeking necessary shelter. If our species is capable of developing such cures and treatments, then those acomplishments are really no more remarkable than the myriad ways other species pursue self preservation.

Are you sure you think its desirable to equip a body to survive in a world that no longer exists?

...Again - We contain the bits and parts of everything that exists around us – including elements, chemicals, proteins, microbes. And we have created new elements, chemicals, proteins, microbes to be part of our world. Now, whether we like it or not, they are part of us. “Disease” is the pain of assimilation, adaptation, and evolution. Nothing more, or less.

Therefore - if we treat adaptive mutations as "disease," we short-circuit the evolutionary process. Such "treatments" deny the benefits of mutation, and prepare the body to live in a world that no longer exists. It's self-defeating, and prevents successful adaptation.

And yeah. I can't believe I'm saying this.... I know from my research that the super-wealthy have organ farms, and stem cell farms, cryogenic storage facilities, and more - and I am convinced they are doomed to extinction. Attempting to re-establish old ideas of "healthy" cells and bodies is not a solution - it's an illusion of power. Any body that's healthy by old measures simply is not equipped to survive in the new world we have created.

BTW - threw a thread together on this:

Bird Flu. Disease? Or Evolutionary Change?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
On September 28, 2005, Recombinomics Commentary noted:

Reports of Widespread H5N1 Cases in Indonesia

The number of patients admitted to hospitals throughout Indonesia continue to rise. Media accounts described 12 recent admissions. At Sulianti Saroso there were four admissions yesterday and three more today.

However, there has also been reports of recent admissions in East Java (35F), central Java (58M), Bandu (1.5 F), and Bandar Lumpung (20 M and brother)...

The large number of cases, spread across Indonesia is cause for concern. Most of these patients initially check into primary care facilities where no clinical samples are collected. By the time they are referred to a facility specializing in infectious diseases, the virus has moved from the upper respiratory tract to the lower respiratory tract, so PCR tests are negative...

Thus, many of the H5N1 infections are not detected by initial lab tests, so the true extent of H5N1 infections in Indonesians is largely unknown...

I can't believe this isn't being handled better. What are they thinking???

[edit on 28-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What were they thinking? They weren't, obviously. OR at least not hard enough. So, loam my man, do you have any jokes to cheer us up while we freak out reading these threads of yours?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
What were they thinking? They weren't, obviously. OR at least not hard enough. So, loam my man, do you have any jokes to cheer us up while we freak out reading these threads of yours?

I think you just accomplished that!

Thank you, I needed the laugh.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yea, sure, no problem. I guess....

I think I'll batten down the hatches, stop breathing and research cryo sleep. I'd rather not end up living in a 12 monkey's kind of society. One with all that underground stuff.... Scary scary thought. Maybe it's a good time to invest in a HEPA filter, and an airtight house.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
Yea, sure, no problem. I guess....

I think I'll batten down the hatches, stop breathing and research cryo sleep. I'd rather not end up living in a 12 monkey's kind of society. One with all that underground stuff.... Scary scary thought. Maybe it's a good time to invest in a HEPA filter, and an airtight house.

Better yet they offer those flights into space for about 1 billion!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
If I had a billion bucks, I'd have more fun than that. Like building an underground mansion that's completely self sustaining.... and a nice car, to drive in my 1 mi long underground track.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Kalapadea

....and the biggest HEPA filter money can buy!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Like, a 50ft by 50ft wall of a HEPA filter... the side of the house in fact... And the filters would have to be cleanable, not just the throwaways...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join