It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggesting applause?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Sometimes we see a post that's absolutely astonishing, in terms of content, etc etc...and sometimes, because Mods are only human (well...that's what I'm told...), that post might go unnoticed.

What about having a little button/tab/something that says "Alert a Moderator if you think this post deserves applause!"? (not applicable to your own posts, kind of like the WATS button). Sure, not every suggestion would (or should!) be agreed upon, but would it seem like a good idea?

Too much hassle to put in place?

Too much extra work for the mods?

Completely unnecessary?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It's probably better to send a single U2U to one mod you know either assigned that forum or interested in that subject than creating an alert system that generates more volume of subjective "look at this" links requiring the entire staff to react. We get plenty of those now for "bad" posts.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If I may be so bold as to throw my $0.02 in, I'm still in favor of some kind of member "applause" button, unlimited and with no real effect, just a much quicker way of sending a U2U to a member for a good post. I know we can send a U2U ourselves, and we have the WATS, but there's only 3 WATS, the members we vote for don't know it unless we tell them, and a U2U just saying "good post" looks kind of empty if you really don't have anything to add. I know it's been brought up before, but I'm still for it.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It's probably better to send a single U2U to one mod you know either assigned that forum or interested in that subject than creating an alert system that generates more volume of subjective "look at this" links requiring the entire staff to react. We get plenty of those now for "bad" posts.

I think this would be a good idea, and it wouldn't be too hard to do, if you change it a bit.

Have a link that says, RATE THIS POST, which, when clicked, will take you to a "post rating" page. All posts can be rated on a scale of 1 to 100. Whatever number the user enters, is entered into the cookie, along with the post's ID number. Then, on the active "Most Popular Posts" page which loads, they can see the top fifty rated posts (or however you choose to display the data.

You'd quickly begin to identify special posts and increase people's ability to find the topics they want.

For members to get to the real meat of the ATS cow, I think it'd be great to have a system like this. Don't bother the Moderators with a U2U, but give members a page which displays the data. What do you think?

[edit on 24-9-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
That's an interesting idea smallpeeps; I second it with this caveat: members can't rate their own posts. I'm sure that's more than obvious, but just to make sure it's out there...

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well we used to have members rate threads 1-10, but members ended up not liking it. They barely tolerate "no votes" on ATSNN now without slitting their wrists.

These ideas always seem great when everyone is expecting to be rated numero uno mostest popular poster, but invariably it turns into a punitive "rate everyone else down" system almost immediately.

Mojo systems are fine, where rating up is only possible and there's a limit to it so people are sparing. Like say no more than 3 awards allowed in a given month so people give it thought. And maybe a prize for the person that gets the most in a month or year. And we have a some graphical representation showing how many you get in conjunction with applause, like a bar that turns redder over time. We could call it WATS or something if that sounds cool.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
(god I wish I had a smiley for "Alicia Silverstone-esque glassy stare")

Rant. You rock.

Except I just re-snorted coke (oh shush, it's the fizzy aspertame-laden kind) all over the monitor, and now I have to use up valuable tissues. You made me laugh too damn hard!

And there I was, telling everyone I just coloured in my bar with a perdy pink crayon.

Sigh.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yeah, back when we had the rating system, it didn't work well. It got used a lot at first, and then hardly ever. Just U2Uing a Mod remains to be the best way.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
(And there I was, telling everyone I just coloured in my bar with a perdy pink crayon.

Sigh.

Wait! Is this why my bar looks bruised purple? I just thought I was seeing things or that my screen was dirty.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Tinkle...you may also u2u a Councilor to bring attention to an applause worthy post. Be aware though, what seems worthy to you may not seem worthy to another, ya know personal tastes and all

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Yeah, I guess you're right. WATS is the best solution. I didn't think of how a lot of posts would get rated 20 on a scale of 1000...

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You'ld be surprised to know that we read, I'd beg to say, ALL posts. Applause worthy material doesn't get by us. Now, does that mean that something that RANT thinks is applause worthy I don't? Could be. However, we have Supers and we have mods, usually at least 4 per forum, applause worthy material get's it's due. Sometimes by WAY more than 1 or 2 mods.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
please refer to it as TWATS people ! Its so much beter.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
please refer to it as TWATS people ! Its so much beter.

You never know what Google will attract.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I can applaud you however you wont get any points, my councilor powers grow weak!

break this, take the vine and make this.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Its not about the POINTS anyway Lysergic, at least I don't think so......

...................................................just sayin

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
oh it IS about points, are yee blind?

Look how they be hoarded look how worth be based. Do not lie to yourself!

and with the 1 pt a post now in affect oh yeah i'd say they jumped up a bit in n00b envy value.

and telling me its not about points?
stop stealing my schtick!

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
and telling me its not about points?
stop stealing my schtick!

Is it lip schtick?

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
depends where you'd like to schtick them lips

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Alright, this has gone far enough! ATS is a Rated G site, and here you all are discussing snorting coke, your purple bars, and your twats. And then you have the gall to think you deserve applause?!

You people disgust me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join