It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

podcast killed the thread-discussion star.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
ok, i know im just being whiny -because the podcast makes ATS more versatile and exciting, but for those of us without recording capabilities (as of yet) -well, ATS has been rather dead the last couple of months.

Lately I only come here to read the news. I scroll down and see what the big discussions are, and they're usually pretty lame (like this), and my best guess is because all the major contributors are honing their energy into microphones. so, all you old-school ATSers that feel me - better go get yourselves a microphone and some software, because the new smileys are sound effects (insert canned laughter here)

but to S.O., Springer, and 'that guy on top' -relax, this is just me venting. still love the ATS. muah.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Just because the original post is a podcast doesn't mean you can't reply to it, and expect a reply in turn (perhaps via podcast). It's just another way of having a conversation and the fact that it's a mixed bag is awesome.
ATS podcasts are just another facet of the site, and they make it simultaneously more interesting and more personal. I don't think the "major contributors" are pouring their energy into microphones, but even if they are, see above! You can still listen and reply and have a conversation!

And besides, if you're not happy with the recent content of the site... you CAN do something about it.
Make some posts, start some discussions, and if you decide to get into podcasting, make some podcasts!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
parrhesia, c'mon now - you coulda given me atleast a halfhour before killing my vent with the expected rebuttals; i.e.

-quit whining and do something about it
*b-but im lazy! so whaaa!
-it makes ATS better. bla.

ok, parrhesia doesnt think my whine is warranted. opinion noted.

i guess im the only one slightly annoyed at the podcast rambles. i always thought retro was better. i still buy music on vinyl..... maybe i should just go ahead and get that socket installed in the back of my neck. kidding!

be they trivial, half-hearted, or just whatever - anybody else have any comments and/or opinions on our newest change?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Actually, there are a few reasons I don't particularly like podcasts.

1. They can't be searched and can't contain clickable links. You can't quote or edit podcasts.

2. It's difficult to pickout specific verbatim portions of a podcast to refute or respond to, without having to listen multiple times or have access to a transcript. Don't want to mis-quote someone, and it's a much easier mistake to make with a podcast.

3. There are times where it's not appropriate for me to use headphones or have sound coming out of my PC, not to mention creating my own podcast. However, one can always read quietly.

4. I'm just about 40% deaf. It's hereditary and compounded by things like working in construction, riding motorcycles and enjoying music played way too loud in my youth. Regardless, unless the recording quality is very good, it's possible that I may miss some of the podcast content, and because there are rarely transcripts, I have no way to check if Majic actually said what I thought he said or not. (No worries, Majic. Just an example. You are very clear.

5. I read faster than you talk. For some of us, time is an issue. It may take me 30 seconds to read a post, but 2 minutes to listen to the podcast verision of the same post, depending of course on who is recording it. If strapped for time, I'm likely to just skip over the podcast, and read other posts instead.

No, I'm not one to insist that no one do podcast just because they may be more difficult for me to understand sometimes or because they might be inconvienent and time consuming on occasion. I just wanted to point out that there are a few negatives to podcasting that some may not have considered.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Ambient Sound]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I view the podcast as another way for a member to express them self.
Some of us express ourselves through debate, writing or even art.

Some people have completely taken to the new ATS pod casting while others want nothing do do with it.
I have listened to a few podcasts and will continue to listen to them. I probably wont make one my self, but I am defiantly not against this new form of expression.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Well, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I won't listen to podcasts, and for those who are more comfortable expressing themselves this way, I say go for it. It's just that for me, and the reasons I come to this board, podcasts really don't improve the quality of my data intake or make it any more efficent.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
To be honest, I sort of agree with this sentiment.

If I wanted to talk or listen to people, I'd get a HAM radio license... or, I don't know, go outside or something.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram

If I wanted to talk or listen to people, I'd get a HAM radio license... or, I don't know, go outside or something.

Humor in truth..
Good cadence with the commas too..

[edit on 23-9-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
To be honest, I sort of agree with this sentiment.

True True..

Down with podcast's

Viva la revolution

switchblade

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Gotta pipe in here, I'm a tech dinosaur, I still haven't figured the Podcasts out as far as doing one BUT I'm totally enjoying listening to them, seems like you get closer to the thought behind the thought.

*Wishes he could do this in a Podcast*

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I DO like listening to some of the musically talented folks..
It's music, ya gotta listen to it...hard to type out on a board..

It may take a while, but given enough time, we may end up with a Star "Spoken word" podcaster too..

[edit on 23-9-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Gotta pipe in here, I'm a tech dinosaur, I still haven't figured the Podcasts out as far as doing one BUT I'm totally enjoying listening to them, seems like you get closer to the thought behind the thought.

*Wishes he could do this in a Podcast*

you need help let me know mate

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
wow Ambient Sound! -I hadnt even though of half of those reasons, and they're all pretty valid.

intrepid has a good point too, that its harder to misconstrue spoken word, than the written. Its easier to discern ones tone with the podcast. For example, rereading my responce to parrhesia, I actually come off as almost rude. I hope he/she knows its all in good fun.

It just seems that the podcast will attribute more to peoples egotrips than anything. I agree though, it is fun - and people bring up some pretty good points. For example, TrueAmerican's vent about immigrants setting up little mexicos etc. But the time it took for him to re-iterate his point a number of times in the podcast, would look like him merely repeating himself if it were typed.

All in all, once I have the necessary software, you might find some random musings and/or audio creations of mine in BTS too. I guess as far as serious discussion goes though, its something we'll just have to get used to.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Sometimes I want to watch TV/DVD, sometimes I want to read a book, sometimes I want to listen to the radio, and sometimes I want to talk on the phone. None of these communication forms has eradicated any other. I don't think of podcasting as competing with posting, I think of it as yet another dimension and another choice for expression added to ATS and to web-based communication in general. It possesses positive elements that the written word does not, and vice-versa. I don't think podcasting will ever replace posting, but it will certainly open up a whole range of possibilities that weren't available before.

I don't think creating podcasts is for me, but I certainly enjoy listening to them, and I'm excited about what this new medium will produce in the future.

And as mentioned by SO...Majic is typing less. Now if only we could convince WyrdeOne to start podcasting...

[edit on 2005-9-23 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I like the podcasts, but doubt I'll ever do one myself for the main reason that I hate my voice.

I don't see any evidence that they've decreased the quality of the regular discussion boards.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost
intrepid has a good point too, that its harder to misconstrue spoken word, than the written. Its easier to discern ones tone with the podcast.

This point I will certainly agree with. It's true, you do get nuance and emotional inflection when you hear someone speak as opposed to reading what they have written. Sometimes emotional inflection (when out of control) will detract from the message. Sometimes, it can contribute to the message. There are positives and negatives in all different forms of communication. It's good that we're capable of communicating in many different ways, again depending on the purpose of the communication.

I suppose I should have said that there are some aspects of podcasts that I didn't like rather than saying that I didn't particularly like podcasts in general.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I think everyone here is right in a sense. I'm just resisting the either/or comparison as pertains to podcasts versus the written word. There's no comparison. Podcasts are cool. The written word is essential. So as long as the podpeople don't forget how to read and write, it's not really an issue.

Personally, podcasts aren't my bag either. But they're pretty easy to ignore.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
When the internet happened, there were people in academic circles who thought it meant the death of books. It wasn't. Happily for me, the written form is still around and stronger than ever. I enjoy reading and analysing text. I think I always will, despite technology, despite invention and despite podcasts!

To each his own - our more aural members are happily podcasting left and right - Is it just me who has noticed the sound pioneers tend to be musicians, singers, or just have a great way with the spoken word? I think it's wonderful. It is great to hear them debate and put their ideas across so eloquently.

My own love will always be reading and writing. As long as there are people like me, I'll be happy. But i'm glad we have other ways of getting our thoughts and opinions across on ATS.

As far as spoken word - I have given it some thought... maybe. I've always thought poetry and prose is better spoken than read. Stories are a different matter.

Then again, can podcasts do this?

[edit on 23-9-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
nikelbee, i think you nailed it.

no dancing bananas? -then i will have nothing to do with it.

thanks for keeping me entertained at work today yall..

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost

no dancing bananas? -then i will have nothing to do with it.

Did I hear dancing bananas?

YES! WE ROCK!

/ninja smoke

I think RANT made a good point though. Written word is essential and the foundation of this site. But the ability to make an audio post? That's awesome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join