It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic Is Very Bad In TX To Evacuate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Are you guys watching that live on CNN? They are saying that people are being warned that if they haven't left, they might as well stay now because traffic is so bad.

One driver was on the highway for 17 hours trying to get out and didn't move that far.

(Leaving the Houston area, 17 hours later, still didn't get as far as Austin).

With traffic that bad, I think a lot of people will turn around and go home or there may be a panic on the highways if they start getting hit by Rita.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hmm guess its not as easy to evacuate an entire city as some people have made out in the past.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
yeah. they opened up all lanes and only permitted them to move away from the danger areas but still it was far from enough. Gas shortages also contribute to the problem. but as far as traffic one person said they moved 20 miles in 15 hours, and another said the average speed was a half mile every couple of hours.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
CNN is reporting that Houston and the surrounding areas are out of gas. It's so bad that the people trying to drive out on the highways are running out of gas and are parking at gas stations for hours waiting for tankers to bring in gas.

Could you imagine that. Roughly two days before the hurricane is expected to hit and there are 20+ hour drives on highways, you can't get gas, and ATMs are said to be running out of cash.

Now in another major city U.S. Houston.

They are dispatching 2 tankers now with 5000 gallons of gas each to the highways. But the TX national guard is saying it will not be enough so they can only give enough to get to the nearest gas station. And the TX national guard is saying those gas stations will also be out of gas. So they will have to wait then for those to be supplied with gas.

To get the gas, it will have to be pulled from other surrounding areas, so TX should see a shortage across the state.

And with refineries down, the artificially lower prices in TX and parts of the south will likely dramatically go up.

CNN is also speculating that those who tried to drive out and are now stuck in traffic on the highway, will now have to stick out the hurricane in their cars on the highway with thousands of other cars. That sounds like a traffic collision nightmare as some people will obviously try driving frantically crashing their way out when heavy rain starts to hit for hours as they are tired, hungry, the kids are crying scared. This is bad.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Lord Altmis]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
My nephew and his family left Houston at 5 a.m. yesterday and 11 hours later they had only made it to Waco. At least they were able to get out, but I can't imagine 11 plus hours in a van with 4 kids. Shoot me! He stated the slowest going had them making 1/2 mile in one hour.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
If you are in the car and stuck on the highway for hours, the biggest thing I think is everyone has to use the restroom. What do they do? You can't pull off the highway, you are stuck.

I can understand going without food or water, but not going to the restroom? That's got to be the toughest thing.

Also after so long, I think people will start exiting the highways and just start driving as far as they can directly through major city roads. And if it gets horrible, they will cross over medians going the wrong way on the other side of the highway.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by Lord Altmis]

new topics

top topics

join