It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Spyware Information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Spyware is some awful stuff, it gets on your PC, makes changes you don't want, and gives you "extras" you don't need. It comes from all different sources, including free software downloads, activeX modules and website cookies. Most of the time it’s just an annoyance, like pop ups here and there, or added links on words. Sometimes though, you get browser hijacks, like when you try to go to www.google.com it'll take you to some generic search engine. Maybe you’ve seen a page before, where random words became hyperlinks to advertisement pages. Malware is the worst, it’s considered a type of Spyware, one that takes control of your machine. Everything runs slower, pop-ups everywhere, and you can't even browse the web without having to hit the x button on windows every second. If you think viruses are nasty, take a peek into the world of Spyware. It's as if all the "talent" for writing nasty HD crashes, signed up for Spyware.

Sounds a little bit crazy, but luckily there are some darn good software programs out there fighting it. Be careful when looking for a good anti-spyware program, some sites will advertise a program that might actually be a dummy. They pretend to find stuff but are really false positives or are adding the files while they scan; sometimes even opening ports on your computer for remote access. For a list of the fakes and the real, check out
www.spywarewarrior.com...
for the most complete list of Fake anti-spyware programs out there.

Protecting your computer can be tough, but I want to list some programs that are great for keeping your system clean.

JavaCoolSoftware makes "Spyware Blaster" which can be downloaded at
www.javacoolsoftware.com...
SpywareBlaster is a free ActiveX protection Utility (one of the most common avenues of spyware infiltration). If you choose to download this program (I highly recommend doing so) make sure you update when you can. A big thing people forget about is that these programs have to be kept up to date; otherwise you’re working with older versions that might not be able to detect new infections.

Spybot Search and Destroy, found at
www.spybot.info...
is a great program that not only has blocking capabilities but comes with an excellent scanner. When you download and install this FREE program, update it, (OF COURSE!). First thing to do after updating it is to "Immunize" This will act as a barrier in your browser to keep nasties out. Spybot also comes with an add-on called "TeaTimer" that when activated pops up and asks you when there is a pending change to system files. Like when something wants to change your homepage, or run a file on your computer.
The last thing about Spybot is that it has one of the best Spyware scanners ever, after UPDATING, run the scanner to find pre-existing spyware modules.

Ad-Aware is made by www.lavasoft.de and is not free for the full version. At download.com you may download the scanner alone, called "Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition" at
www.download.com...

Ad-Aware (after UPDATING) is another excellent scanner for baddies. Of course, if you can splurge a few bucks I recommend buying either the Plus or Pro edition that comes with "Ad-Watch" that is an amazing guard against spyware. It keeps a log of things it's kept out, like registry changes, cookies, and modules.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, who would have thought that a Microsoft product could work this well? The beta is free at
www.microsoft.com...
Usually it can receive its own updates just check it every now and again to make
sure it is installing them properly. The beta comes with a guard, and a scanner.

WebRoot's SpySweeper has been rated the best before by PCworld and such, but there is never ONE scanner that picks up everything, that is why it is a good idea to keep a few loaded on your computer to cover all your bases. The Download is free, at www.webroot.com...
(On the right, click "Download Trial").

Who can forget the Google toolbar? I love that thing, it’s a tiny download, and it's an excellent pop-up blocker (It doesn’t really keep spyware out as much as keeps annoying pop-ups at bay).

This isn't a full list or anything like that, I just want to put out there some worthwhile downloads to help you out. For more advanced situations, desperate times do call for desperate measures. I'm not going to tell anyone who isn't an advanced computer user about things that may damage their computer unless they know what they are doing. If you really need help, I'm around on this board or by U2U and I can help with some more advanced problems. If I can't help you I know plenty of people who can, and I can lead you onto them. That's all for now, if you have any questions, feel free to post, or U2U me.

Thanks for reading!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I don't care if you think you know what you're doing, make sure you have some of this stuff, even I'm still learning. Even if you only use FireFox (new version can be found at www.mozilla.org... ) or never go to spyware sites, this stuff still gets to you.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I have one that keeps coming back no matter how often I get rid of it. It's only a tracking cookie, but it's still anoying. I found that using Firefox, with Spybot S&D running where it asks to allow changes to the registry works really well for me. When I scan, I use Ad-Aware and Spybot both. They're a good combination.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In addition to those programs already listed, I highly recommend Registry Mechanic to clean up your registry and get rid of crap you dont need which speeds up your computer immensely.

Also Spyware Doctor is an excellent program that doesnt let any of the spyware I usually find with Adaware or Spybot come into the computer at all. It is the first line of defense for me.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Zaphod, what is it?

RebelSaint:

This was spyware by itself, anti-virus will be my next post, then comes misc tools and PC performance stuff.

Reg Mechanic rocks, one of my favorites.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ad-Aware finds it as a Data Miner from live365.com. A tracking cookie.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Why doesn't Bush just out law spyware, I'm sick of it. Who does it report the info it gathers anyhow?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the primer Kalapadea, a person's computer is their gateway to the world, and nothing is more frustrating that having your "super highway" get "dirt roaded."

Spy Monkeys, not just for seeing every key stroke anymore...

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
Why doesn't Bush just out law spyware, I'm sick of it. Who does it report the info it gathers anyhow?

Ok, sorry, but you need to think about it beofre making statements like this. Viruses ARE outlawed yet has that stopped them? Law will stop very little on the internet given that any company that uses spyware will just relocate to a country where there is no law covering it, the whole idea of the internet is that it is unregulated.

In regards as to who does spyware report to, it will report to woever it has been coded to report to, often the developer. However, I am sure that there is spyware out there that is completly editable as to where it reports to

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Zaphod:

As it's a tracking cookie, I woud'nt worry about it too much, but if you really want to get rid of it, try deleting your internet explorer cookies. This will delete ALL of your cookies, the downside of course is saved passwords and logins, but you're problem will disappear. It's up to you.

Once in IE, Tools > Internet Options > General Tab (default) > Delete Cookies.

Mirthful Me : I've run 3 support boards, and everywhere its the same, people just don't realize how much of this stuff there is. I'd rather get some info out there now, so that in 3 months when people ask me questions, or ask me to clean their PC's, Half the Tools are already loaded. Plus only certain things have gotten on the computer thus far. I almost posted this in RANT, lol.
(Thanks)

Infidellic: Certain types of spyware are illegal, you're right about viruses though. It is also true about moving countries, *cough nigeria cough*.
www.pcworld.com...
When you say reporting, sometimes it doesn't report. It depends on whether or not you're talking about Malware or not, spyware collects information about your browsing habits usually. While malware makes it a point to make your computer unusable, whether by turning it into a zombie machine, or just inundating you with ads, who knows. Then of course you've got the virus versions, that open up backdoor ports on your PC allowing remote IRC access. So all in all, it depends on what type you mean.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
Infidellic: Certain types of spyware are illegal, you're right about viruses though. It is also true about moving countries, *cough nigeria cough*.

When you say reporting, sometimes it doesn't report. It depends on whether or not you're talking about Malware or not, spyware collects information about your browsing habits usually. While malware makes it a point to make your computer unusable, whether by turning it into a zombie machine, or just inundating you with ads, who knows. Then of course you've got the virus versions, that open up backdoor ports on your PC allowing remote IRC access. So all in all, it depends on what type you mean.

Thanks for the correction. Although viruses don't always open back doors and more certainly don't always use IRC (do you mean they usually use telnet?). I thought the question was on spyware so that is what I was referring to. But even still spyware can be legal if people are made aware that they are installing it (I believe). How many times have you read through the licence agreement when presented with one? I reckon easily that 999/1000 people don't, they could be legally allowing the spyware to collect information

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sorry if I come across as being a know it all sometimes, lol, I wasn't feeling well this morning and I was a bit touchy. You're right, sometimes it is in the license agreement. But sometimes it isn't, here is a guy's "blog" I read, its a blog but its all anti-spyware stuff, and he's a Microsoft MVP.

Check it out at: www.vitalsecurity.org...

He's the enactment of all the things I'd want to do to investigate the companies pumping out this crap. I suggest reading through some of his archives to get the idea. He's gone up against 180searchbar and the likes.

Telnet, IRC, RDP, Termserv. It all depends on what ports get opened. Yikes.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'm bumping this thread because I feel it is worth keeping up near the top, you all need to take this seriously, and quit trying to make me feel stupid.

In other news, the new version of CWShredder came out, and can be downloaded here : www.trendmicro.com...

I recommend downloading and keeping this file on hand, it's only a "just in case".

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I feel like the spyware collects the info and the remover sends it where its going. That may not be accurate but its a hunch that I have.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
You mean the "remover" you download? That's true, especially since it asks you to reboot after it's "done".

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I'm adding Senior Grady's SpyCatcher Express to the list, mainly because I gave it a good test this weekend, a few computers in a lab setting. And I like what I see, once again, this isn't a standalone wonder, but grouped with other programs, it takes a good piece of the catching pie. Thanks Grady!

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I'm using firefox with spybot s&d, adaware SE, and microsoft antispyware. I haven't had any new spyware get in for a while.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Good Post Kalapadea

You have voted Kalapadea for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I my self use Microsoft AntiSpyware, along with Spy-ware Blaster and Spy Bot S&D along with a Antiviral program AVG and Zone Alarm
I can say I have not had any problems with spy-ware or other nasty pests.
a little bit of maintaining goes a long way.
Anyway good post

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Kalapadea,

Thanks for the anti-spyware information. I am trying out Spybot. It's difficult to know who to believe when one doesn't know this technology very well.

You have voted Kalapadea for the Way Above Top Secret award.

I am using ZoneAlarm and Trend Micro Virus scan free online Housecall. Both free.

Mahree

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hey thanks, I'm working on solidifying a post on Anti-virus/Firewall next. There are a whole bunch of good ones, and a whole bunch of baddies, like always, lol.

join