It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Homosexuals shouldn't be ordained as priests, Catholic Church says

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The Vatican can do whatever it wants concerning the priesthood. The Bible considers homosexuality to be a sin and church doctrine denounces it. Why should the priesthood admit homosexuals? This is not a step back to the Dark Ages. No one has a right to be a priest. There is no issue here at all.

[edit on 2005/9/22 by GradyPhilpott]

I agree, they can do what they want, I still ask the question, at what time in a persons life should they know if they are gay or straight?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

One thing is for sure they will no go on publicly advertising their choices.

exactly, marg

How are they going to know what is in the hearts of these young men attracted to the priesthood, or, for that matter, a woman destined for a nunnery?

There is no sure way to know unless they have publicly come 'out of the closet' and that kind of thing is not part of the public record (newspapers,courts etc.)

The information the Vatican needs is only known by the candidate and her/his close circle of friends. How are they ever to prevent their inclusion?

impossible.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The Catholic church can do whatever it wants, yes.

But it's besides the point.

The Catholic church already requires it's priests to be celibate.

When you're already celibate, calling yourself heterosexual or homosexual is as meaningless as being blind and saying you have a favorite color.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

When you're already celibate, calling yourself heterosexual or homosexual is as meaningless as being blind and saying you have a favorite color.

What ? thats is the worst mediphor i have ever heard please,

1, You choice to be celibate..I never heard of a blind person asking to be blind

2, Just because you are celibate does not mean you still have loose attraction to Women/Men
3, How does being celibate bread out 10000's of years ininstincts ?

PS: please do dont make and more mediphors

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I think by trying to root out homosexuality, they're trying to find priests that are actually having sex with each other, not necessarily people who just have homoerotic thoughts.

I'm sure homosexual activity isn't that uncommon among all these priests living together.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Why is anyone shocked by this? A preist cant marry, letalone be gay. The bible is openly scornfull of homosexuality. Its a relgion based on the bible.

Not every door HAS to open that you knock on. Sometimes, the people just dont want to answer it.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Originally posted by intrepid

Short answer: The Vatican works for George W. Bush & Co.

That's a bit of a leap. How could this be?
think about it for a moment; Neither wants to deal with homosexuality.

OOOKKKKKK? So how does the Vatican work for Bush and Co.? Because they share the same ideal, SINGULAR here? Personally, I fail to see where American politics comes into play here.

Itallisized. Wrong. The Vatican can deal with homosexuality at will. Bush can't, wishes he could but it would be political suicide.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Another thought came to mind, seeing as priests are celebate, so they say, how can they be Hetro, Homo, Other? Sex is to be foriegn to them. I guess them labels are just for show.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Another thought came to mind, seeing as priests are celebate, so they say, how can they be Hetro, Homo, Other? Sex is to be foriegn to them. I guess them labels are just for show.

You're obviously not catholic. Sex isnt suppose to be foreign to them. Do you know WHY priests arent allowed to marry? Do any of you? The reason is so that married couples in the church can come to them for truely non-partisan advice. Also being a preist involves alot more than attending sunday mass. They are on-call 24/7...deaths, last rites, etc. They need to be able to devote their lives to helping others.

It really pisses me off to read some of the comments in here. People seem free to rip on catholics as much as they want (not you, intrepid) and its just fine. What? A few priests are pedophiles, so its open season on the whole church? I bet theres a few black men who are pedophils as well. Can we now openly rip on blacks since most them are child molesters? Oh, wait...thats stereotyping. If your doing it to catholics, its just good fun, right?

IMO, a preist should not be gay. In my expeirences, gays are extremly liberal. "If it feels good, do it!!" If you want to live that way, thats your business, but oddly enough, there is a rather LARGE segment of society, whos minds are ruled by their genetalia. If a couple comes to a preist for counciling they are there moralisitic advice, not sex toy suggestions.

Beleive it or not, there are still some people who live by the 10 commandments.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by helium3
mrjones: please dont qoute the bible is so full of S#@H its not funny

Samuel 20:41

"David and Jonathan "kissed one another, and wept with one another" when they parted for the last time."

Samuel 19:2

"Jonathan ... delighted much in David."

sounds rather gay to me.

you sir, are an idiot and missed my point entirely.
THEIR OWN DOCTRINT DENOUNCES HOMOSEXUALITY.
If they accept it then they go against their doctrine.
You can't pick and choose what parts you want to believe in.
If your a christian, catholic, protistant, baptist, muslim, jew, buddahist, whatever, you have to abide by your doctrine or it means nothing.
If just one part is wrong then the rest will crumble around it.

Ignorance is bliss is the old saying that applies here.
If you don't acknowledge your flaws then you are perfect.
That can be applied to the church or modern thinking.

So helium3, READ THE WHOLE FREAKIN POST BEFORE REPLYING!!!
I stated much of this in my previous post, just in different words.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The problem is that the church can do and say anything it wants to, candidates to priesthood do not need to advertised their sexual preferences, because they are supposed to have none.

If a priest finds later after been ordained that he has sexual preferences many will gladly leave the priesthood to get married as if the sexual desires if for a female.

No so when is with a male, he may stay in the church and just do what he needs to do.

One thing is for sure they will no go on publicly advertising their choices.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by marg6043]

I wouldnt have a problem if gay priests would leave the church just like the straight ones do, but they dont, they stay there and prey on little kids.

My simple solution to the problem is easy
If you rape someone you die
If you molest a kid you die
If you kill someone you die
See a pattern here?

I'm pretty sure the problem would just disappear after a couple of cases.

[edit on 23-9-2005 by mrjones]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The Vatican can do whatever it wants concerning the priesthood. The Bible considers homosexuality to be a sin and church doctrine denounces it. Why should the priesthood admit homosexuals? This is not a step back to the Dark Ages. No one has a right to be a priest. There is no issue here at all.

[edit on 2005/9/22 by GradyPhilpott]

I agree, they can do what they want, I still ask the question, at what time in a persons life should they know if they are gay or straight?

When they meet a partner of either sex and make the choice to go with them.
Gay people can turn straight and vice versa
There is no "hard coding" into your genetics that makes you gay
Genetics can make you more masculine or femine, but just as vegitarians have canine teeth, femine men can be straight

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by helium3

Originally posted by xmotex

What ? thats is the worst mediphor i have ever heard please,

1, You choice to be celibate..I never heard of a blind person asking to be blind

2, Just because you are celibate does not mean you still have loose attraction to Women/Men

If he's not allowed to make metaphors you’re not allowed to post any more because you’re spelling and grammar is terrible
At least copy your post to word and spell check it before posting it, especially if you’re complaining about someone else.

????????????????????????
What the hell?
The Roman Catholic Church has been around for only like 1000 years, ever since they broke from the Greek Orthodox Church.
That entire string of random words doesn't even make sense!

[edit on 23-9-2005 by mrjones]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Obviously your son or daughter has not been molested by one of these monsters!

However your right ,you don't need to demonize homosexuals they are all self destructive!

what soever a man sows that he reaps!

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

PS please learn to spell "metaphor" before you criticize mine

And no analogy is perfect, but singling out "homosexuals" among people who are supposed to be celibate anyway is a fool's errand, still.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
It is clearly and abomination according to the Church. Does
it make sense that the Church would allow it? Uh, no. What
is totally illogical is that anyone would think that the Catholic Church
would allow it.

Exactly.

Scripture is clear on this subject. The church is clear in it's teachings.
Active homosexuality has no place in the ministry of the church.

This isn't a 'return to the dark ages' or a 'witch hunt'.
It's following the rules of the church. WHY would anyone
who is an active homosexual even want to be part of a
church that disagrees with that lifestyle to begin with?

This is a GOOD step for the Catholic church. It's about time too.
Follow the rules or get the heck out and try not to let the door
hit you in the butt when you leave. There are thousands of
different christian churches to choose from. Active homosexuals
who wish to be ministers need to go to one of those churches
that accept that lifestyle and preach that it's okay, even though
the book of Romans in the bible says it isn't.

[edit on 9/23/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
The Roman Catholic Church has been around for only like
1000 years, ever since they broke from the Greek Orthodox
Church.

www.catholic.com...

No. The Catholic church has been around for 2,000 years.
An unbroken apostolic chain reaching all the way back to
St. Peter and Christ.

[edit on 9/23/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Follow the rules or get the heck out and try not to let the door
hit you in the butt when you leave.

The perfect answer!

If someone joins a church, then that person needs to follow the rules laid down by the authorities of that assembly. It is the responsibility of the individual to choose wisely when they elect to become part of a congregation and if they disagree with the tenets of the church, then they should think twice before joining.

If a person has been part of a congregation through their childhood because of parental preferences, then it is up to that child to choose their path once they have established their own personal faith.

To abide in a congregation under false pretense is a poison within that church and to leave it is the honourable thing to do for the betterment of everyone within that church.

The choice is personal. In that the Catholic church has elected to get rid of its homosexual priests is their perogative and is of no concern to anyone who is not a Catholic. How they intend to root out the sexual preferences of their priesthood is what mystifies me personally. It seems difficult to say the least.

Why is it, though, that lesbianism is not an issue within the nunneries. Is it not the same and equal?

Also, should heterosexual activity not bear the same scrutiny?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Why is it, though, that lesbianism is not an issue within the nunneries.

A friend of mine was a nun for a year or so in a monastery. After a year
she left and went to college to become a school teacher. She and her
female partner are both school teachers. Yep ... she is now a lesbian.
While she was in the monastery she said she didn't have those
inclinations, but once she got out she did.

BTW - both are FORMER Catholics. They have accepted and embraced
a lifestyle that goes against what the Catholic church believes, so both
were smart enough to leave and find a church that accepts active
homosexuality.

There are thousands of different Christian churches. It's not that hard
to find one that accepts and embraces the homosexual lifestyle. Anyone
who is actively gay, who stays in the Catholic church and whines, is just
wasting his/her time and that of the church. Move on. There are other
places to worship.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Personally, i like gay priests, i like all honest priests. The Vatican seems to second a lot of Georges emotions when it comes to gay sex.
That is my observation- Somehow when you throw Bush's feelings into the mix i get royally peeved. This is not a Bush thread so i cannot express my true feelings.
There's nothing wrong with good priests, be they gay or straight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join