It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Homosexuals shouldn't be ordained as priests, Catholic Church says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Short answer: The Vatican works for George W. Bush & Co.

Its another means to prosecute those who prefer their own sex over the opposite.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

That's a bit of a leap. How could this be?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's their church and religion, if you don't like it, don't be a Catholic.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
djohnsto77,
Good piece of advise!
The recent actions out of the Vatican seems determined to turn away a number of it's congregation while solidifying the ones that remain.
In recent years, it has been pointed out that the RCC has been losing more and more of it's foothold in the more "advanced" countries / societies while it's number of faithful have been increasing in the 3rd world nations.
Mayhaps, what the church is looking for is to create another great schism as it has in the past.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Since the Catholic church requires priests to be celibate, period, exactly what are they trying to say here?

What is the functional difference between a celibate heterosexual and a celibate homosexual? None that I can see. And given that they're celibate anyway, how are they going to tell the difference? There is no blood test or anything of the sort that will reveal sexual orientation...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think the church should be able to have whomever they want as priests and keep out of the priesthood those they don't want. They don't want women, and it's the church's business to fight that or not.

I mean, isn't the church a private organization that isn't related to government at all? Can't they refuse membership, discriminate etc?

I do think their first priority along these exclusion lines should be to keep the pedophiles out, though. Just my opinion...

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
xmotex,
that is the $64 thousand dollar question.
Why is the church singling out gay members?
Instead of enforcing it's edicts of celebacy on all of it's priesthood it is giving, it can conceivably be construed that hetrosexual activity by it's priest as being ok.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Instead of enforcing it's edicts of celebacy on all of it's priesthood it is giving, it can conceivably be construed that hetrosexual activity by it's priest as being ok.

That's really a stretch. How did you come up with they are only enforcing celibacy on homosexuals from all this?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
How is that a stretch?
The church is rooting out and singling out homosexuals that are part of it's priesthood. It is not trying to enforce it's Orders.
Example:
The Roman Catholic Church demands celibacy--no voluntary sexual pleasure, hence, no marriage--as a prerequisite to the order of presbyter.There are married Catholic priests in the United States. Each is a former Episcopalian priest who joined the Catholic Church. There are Uniate Churches, churches in union with Rome, e.g., the Greek Byzantine Church, who have a married clergy.

How can the church not be considered to be performing a "witch hunt" against the homosexual priest, or not to be giving silent approval towards it's priests that are married which is in direct violation of the self-same Orders that the church is enforcing on it's gay priests?
Catholic Priesthood Orders

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
How is that a stretch?
The church is rooting out and singling out homosexuals that are part of it's priesthood.

No it's not, there you go stretching again. All that is going on at the moment is that a statement is being made regarding candidates for the priesthood. I think you might be the one on the witch hunt.

Look, you are making a lot of assumptions based on these news reports that are obviously incomplete. The document has not been officially released yet, and all we have is a lot of speculation at this point.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Who cares really ? are the priests scared that there going to have less kids to molest ?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So you are saying that the Vatican is not attempting to "weed out" it's homosexual priests?
From the US Conference of Catholic Bishops dated Aug. 19th, 2005

The Congregation has indicated the following objectives for the Visitation: 1) To examine the criteria for admission of candidates and the programs of human formation and spiritual formation aimed at ensuring that they can faithfully live chastely for the Kingdom; 2) To examine other aspects of priestly formation in the United States. Particular attention will be reserved for the intellectual formation of seminarians, to examine fidelity to the Magisterium, especially in the field of moral theology, in the light of Veritatis Splendor (the 1993 encyclical letter of Pope John Paul II, “The Splendor of the Truth”).

US Conference of Catholic Bishops

Note the faithfully live chastely for the Kingdom The wording would lead one to assume (yes I know
) that the investigators would actually be looking at the entire population to ensure that they will remain chaste. Instead the reports are that they are targeting the homsexual students as per an edict that JP2 issued 2 years ago in response to the numerous sex abuse cases that was / is all over the news.

According to several recent statements, the problem is not celibacy, secrecy or ordination of women. It is homosexuality among clergy.

www.beliefnet.com...

Homsexuality has been identified by the church to be the root of all it's issues.
the edicts that the Vatican has posted does not attempt to target all of it's clergy by strengthening it's orders on celebracy, It instead targets the homosexual. By not enforcing it's Orders in regards to clergy remaining pure and celebrate, the church to me is being hypocritical and is attempting to demonize the homosexual priest.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
not ordane pedophiles! Sheesh get a clue cardinals

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
What you all don't seem to understand is that the bible flat out calls homosexuality an abomination

Leviticus 18:22
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

So how can the church allow such a thing is their own doctrine calls it an abomination?
Now if the church decides this is an error, then that undermines the correctness of the entire bible and thus causes the entire church to collapse.

Homosexuality is a choice. I have a very close friend, female, who used to be a lesbian and is now dating my best friend, who is male.
Anyone who says otherwise is a moron who has no understanding of reality.

Yes it is true that in some cases there is a genetic deformity that causes the male gentiles to not shift forward like they are supposed to during adolescence and the male ends up being more feminine for some reason.
However the feminine male can still choose to like girls.

I personally don't care one way or the other. I used to but I'm numb to it now.
Girls kissing girls and guys kissing guys, mass orgies, 2 girls and a guy, 2 guys and a girl, a girl and a horse, a guy and a horse, whatever your thing is, I don't care.
Personally it sounds like that is the step back in time. Letting loose to do whatever wherever for whatever reason.
Very uncivilized to me it seems.

The French have parades with naked people in the streets and this is cheered on and congratulated.
People are proud of these barbarians.

It really reminds me of the Roman Empire.
Savage, unrefined, barbaric, and yet the people loved it.

Alester Crowley, a homosexual, pagan, self-proclaimed drug and sex fiend, all around bad guy, (as in sick, disgusting), had a great and glorious vision for the world,
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

When you have your way, and you can do whatever you want, just think how great it will be!
You will be able to do whatever you want to do.
Rape wont exist because no one will have rights to say no
Crime wont exist at all for the same reason
It will be a perfect utopian society of darwinism
The strong will survive and the weak will be killed
All of our modern knowledge will be lost when they burn our computers and books and museums.

Life will be just like it was thousands of years ago
No more prudes out there to stop you from doing what you damn well want to do. Its your life, Its your body, Its your soul.

The world will be complete anarchy, and the population of the planet will die out in under 5 years as mankind reverts to the savagery that it was born from so long ago.

Tell me, is this the future you seek?

Here is a funny point to ponder,
If priests are not allowed to be married and thus not allowed to have sex, then how can they be either gay or straight?

Another good one is how come babies can't abort their mothers?
Reminds me of family guy and stewy

I love that show

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Since the Catholic church requires priests to be celibate, period, exactly what are they trying to say here?

What is the functional difference between a celibate heterosexual and a celibate homosexual? None that I can see. And given that they're celibate anyway, how are they going to tell the difference? There is no blood test or anything of the sort that will reveal sexual orientation...

A very simple solution is to require them all to be euniched

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That's a bit of a leap. How could this be?
think about it for a moment; Neither wants to deal with homosexuality.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Since it is an established scientific fact that there is a blending of male and female characteristics in every human being, how can anyone ever sort them out? There can be no medical test, only a psychological one.

The only litmus test is preference and the acting on that preference. To be able to discern this, the Vatican authorities will have to delve into the personal histories of every candidate for the priesthood and then do a psychoanalysis on top of this. Costly and open to abuse by an unclear science, imo.

I am reminded, in this topic, of the canine tooth in the mouth of the vegetarian.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
mrjones: please dont qoute the bible is so full of S#@H its not funny

Samuel 20:41

"David and Jonathan "kissed one another, and wept with one another" when they parted for the last time."

Samuel 19:2

"Jonathan ... delighted much in David."

sounds rather gay to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The Vatican can do whatever it wants concerning the priesthood. The Bible considers homosexuality to be a sin and church doctrine denounces it. Why should the priesthood admit homosexuals? This is not a step back to the Dark Ages. No one has a right to be a priest. There is no issue here at all.

[edit on 2005/9/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The problem is that the church can do and say anything it wants to, candidates to priesthood do not need to advertised their sexual preferences, because they are supposed to have none.

If a priest finds later after been ordained that he has sexual preferences many will gladly leave the priesthood to get married as if the sexual desires if for a female.

No so when is with a male, he may stay in the church and just do what he needs to do.

One thing is for sure they will no go on publicly advertising their choices.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join