It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If "Jesus" was "without sin" then WHY was he baptised by John the Baptist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
"Father, Why hast thou forsken me?"
- Jesus

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

Originally posted by Michaeljp86
Jesus did sinned once showing his 1/2 man side. When he said my god my god whay have you forsaken me, he sinned.

How is quoting Psalm 22 considered a sin?

How can an omnipresent entity not be present somewhere?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hi Esoteric:

Where do you get all that father forsaken business? I believe the opening lines from Psalm 22 were : Eloi Eloi Llama Sabachthani (my El my El why have you abandoned me?) which apparently was a psalm of David or at any rate, David's circle.

Matthew I believe chooses the Aramaic form, Eli Eli llema sebachtani, but it has nothing to do with a "father" figure.

The last line of the Psalm "because he has finished it.." is curiously similar to the 4th gospel's phrase "It is Finished" (John 19:30) as the last words from the Roman gibbet--possibly the entire psalm was quoted?

Either way, I don't see the word Father in that phrase.

But more to the point, this threadlet is about why was R. Yehoshua bar Yosef baptised by John the Baptist in the Jordan "for the remission of sins" if he was supposed to have been sinless?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Michael jp86/

He wasnt god though so he could sin, 1/2 god 1/2 man. Jesus did sinned once showing his 1/2 man side. When he said my god my god whay have you forsaken me, he sinned.

Jesus Christ was Fully God and fully man.....
Jesus Christ had no SIN.

"Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Matt. 28:19).
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all" (2 Cor. 13:14).
"For there are three that bear record in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one" (1 John 5:7).
Here the Apostle John emphasizes that the three are one - i.e., one in essence.

Quote///
In summing up what has been said, we must remember that be-lief in the divinity of Christ cannot be planted in men's hearts simply by scriptural citations or philosophical reasoning.
What is needed is a willful acceptance of this God-revealed truth.
It pleased God to uncover the hidden inclination of each person's heart by their attitude toward Christ; "Thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes" (Matt. 11:25).
So in this regard, till the end of the world, things will be the same as they were two thousand years ago: for many people Christ will remain "A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense … that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed" (1 Peter 2:8; Luke 2:35).
www.fatheralexander.org...

QUOTE///
In his conversation with Nikodemos about how one enters into God's kingdom, our Savior replied, "Amen, amen, I tell you, except one be born again, one cannot see the kingdom of God." Further, He clarified this saying, "except one be born of water and of the Spirit, one cannot enter into the Kingdom of God" (Jn. 3:34). Baptism is, therefore, that only door through which one can enter into the Church of those being saved (Mk. 16:16).

We were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4).

In Him also you were circumcised with a spiritual circumcision, by putting off the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead (Colossians 2:12).
orthodoxeurope.org...

"For in Him (Christ) dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily" (Col. 2:9) … "And beyond controversy, great is the mystery of godliness" (1 Timothy 3:16).
And in the first and second chapters of his epistle to the Hebrews, St. Paul the Apostle proves conclusively that the Son of God is not a creature but the Creator and that He is immeasurably superior to all beings created by Him. Angels are simply ministering spirits.

www.fatheralexander.org...

Glory be to God ....
helen

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hi Helen:

Do you REALLY think "the Apostle" (!) Paul (i.e. Saul of Tarsus) wrote the epistle to the Hebrews in your canonical New Testament?

Have you taken a Koine Greek language course lately? Just curious is all.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEOAMADEUS
Hi Esoteric:

Where do you get all that father forsaken business?

Quoting the bible (Jesus words at either the garden or as he was on the cross, and from movies on Christ.

But more to the point, this threadlet is about why was R. Yehoshua bar Yosef baptised by John the Baptist in the Jordan "for the remission of sins" if he was supposed to have been sinless?

I don't subscribe to the belief that God is bound by time, therefor Jesus could recieve baptism and cleansing for his sin prior to his actual committing of it.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

If "Jesus" was "without sin" then WHY was he baptised by John the Baptist?

All the kids were doin' it???

The idea that Jesus was completely devoid of sin (assuming he actually existed), is pretty ludicrous. With all of the things considered to be a "sin", there's little doubt he committed some...

Mary: "Jesus, did you make your bed?"
Jesus: "Yes mother!" (as he looks at his sheets on the floor)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join