It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't you, yes you, grow up and stop acting like children!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I just can't take it anymore. Such a high percent of egomaniacs have infiltrated this great site. Who the hell died and made you gods and know-it-alls!!!

I come to this site to learn and to keep up with the times and news that mainstream media ignores. We can be journalists here with no censorship. It used to be nice to see opposing views and debates done intellectually and equally. Instead, I now read posts that all too damned often turn into name calling and belittling others, one trying to be smarter than the other. Name calling, put downs and just plain expression of ego.

Many of you just don't understand how valuable a site like this is to those of us who cherish freedoms, so you come here and act like a communist - trying to control others by making others look stupid, only to make the other side defend themselves by attacking back. Then its just back and forth, over and over again till the post becomes about YOU instead of what everyone else is trying to read about - which is NOT you.

Ever since I started here, I have loved this place. It is on my daily short list of daily info. I come to research, learn and see, NOT to find Mr. Smartiepants or to see who has the biggest ego muscle.

It is not too *&%$%#@ difficult to debate something without belittling others. Even if the other person is wrong and you can prove it, there's no need for disrespect.

You have no idea how stupid you make yourself look when you come here like you have the highest IQ or the most knowledge. When you can't debate as an equal, you just lost the respect of many who don't comment on YOU, but many DO think it. It's not about how good/smart you are or how wrong someone else is. It's about the post that you are reading. I know others, as well as myself, have considered leaving here because of the immaturity that has leaked into this site lately. It is not right - this place was made for us, and it all too common that the people themselves have ruined their own good things - without even knowing it. Ignorance.

When I read a topic, I am interested in that topic, NOT WHO IS MORE MACHO OR MORE RIGHT THAN THE OTHER!!! Please, please, please.... try to use a lttle tact and keep this forum more professional.

GROW UP!!!!!

(if this post is bellitling to you, it IS on topic - it may mean you need to look inside of you. If this post is not belittling to you, then you must not be one of the ones that this post is directed towards)

Respectfully, thanks.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
most sensible post i have read in quite a while

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Although what you have said does indeed take place, take comfort in the fact that there are many worthwhile debates and conversations here at ATS in which the participants react calmly and rationally and share ideas and question each other's points of view in a respectful and appreciative manner.

Check out this thread, especially the sections where Gemwolf and myself debate back and forth for a number of pages without resorting to name calling or other such childishness.

Such foolish behaviour is commonplace on many threads. But here at ATS it is actively discouraged, which is one of the things I love about this place. Sure, childish back and forth rantish (it's a word, I say it is!
) posts will always make it through some of the time. But we are hardly drowning in it the way we could be. Chin up, mate.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan25

I agree

Unfortuantly though the kind of person that would benefit from reading this and taking onboard what it's saying isn't the kind of person that's going to be reading it and taking it onboard, if you know what I mean

The best solution I've found by far is the ignore button. Simple and quick

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I completely agree. I have nearly stopped posting lately because of the tedency to get slammed and my tendency to slam back.

One of my mom's big political adversaries in the town where I grew up paid her a huge compliment at her service, saying, "We never agreed about much, but she had a way of being able to disagree with you without being disagreeable. We were always able to reach an acceptable compromise that helped to move the group forward."

That's exactly how I feel about my efforts to interact with others on this site. It is a fantastic opportunity to exchange and consider and engage in a lively debate over a plethora of ideas, topics, and information. My emotions sometimes get the best of me, though, and the written word seems to have greater impact somehow. I'll try to tone it down a little.

That said, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here more than myself, so get over it!

godservant, thanks for a great statement on an intrinsic topic.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sorry, I got a bit angry - came across a few posts that went from topic subject to high school bickering. You're right Jeremiah25, there are in fact still good debates here, but I am noticing more and more posts that turn into individual attacks and defending instead of the topics title. Debating the subject is different then debating the individual. I respect those that not only know the difference, but practice it too.

Tis still my favorite site.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Feel better?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It would be helpful if you used the complaint feature to alert us to these types of issues. A generalized public complaint like this really doesn't help the staff understand when, where, how this is happening.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
My initial thoughts on this was that if 5% of those who ruin a post read this and let it be absorbed into their cranium, then reading here would become 5% better.

And for some reason Rant, I don't feel any better.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Grow up!?! If that means I have to stop wearing my pampers then forget it!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
excellent point godservant...u get my wats for opening a can of beans that will make some feel guilty and others feel proud...this site should be about debate and compromise...surely there are many of us here who have been proved wrong and accepted it without going into tit for tat name calling(although chances are someone will now say"i have never been proved wrong"and that will open another troll thread).

here`s a question..whats worse..starting a name calling session or responding to it???

good thread godservant...lets hope people take note

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Feel better?

Naughty. And from a moderator too. Tut tut!

I think godservant is making a very valid point. You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Let's make this board the most respectful board out there!

We are supposed to be intellectuals here people! It is not a school playground.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Bla bla bla, you can say what you want, my daddy can still beat up your motha! Erm I mean daddy :p

Don't take it so serious man, you can't run a board without some elements acting in less desireable ways, but guess what, ignoring the frigin daylights out of them is the best remedy, giving them any kind of attention just draws more of them in, its almost like magic.

Your thread is the exact kind of attention they love. It shows that what they are trying to do worked. It means they have a victory.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan25

nice statement, encouraging not to behave in such a way. I joined recently for the same reason like you.
I admit, I don't know so much about politics, but thats why I'm here & I'm not stupid- Its great to read different point of views, coz informationflow from the media in my area is quite onesided. I enjoy to research often & learn from the toppics. The forum is really really huge. My impression was a bit, that I need to be very professional in all this skills and to take part a conversation... well, to become professional, "simple" questions are necessary from time to time...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm sure I disagree with a LOT of people here (which doesn't surprise me), but I try not to descend into the name-calling. That doesn't help anything and has the tendency to make one look like an idiot.

Now I have no problem with saying someone is acting/being ignorant when it's clear that they're paying no attention to what I'm trying to say.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheObserver

Feel better?

Naughty. And from a moderator too. Tut tut!

I think godservant is making a very valid point. You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Let's make this board the most respectful board out there!

We are supposed to be intellectuals here people! It is not a school playground.

Agreed. But the staff comments were directed more at the use of the Board Business forum I do believe, not the comments. This is now in the RANTS forum and appropriate.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Agreed. But the staff comments were directed more at the use of the Board Business forum I do believe, not the comments. This is now in the RANTS forum and appropriate.

Wow that was obvious that was what you meant! How silly of me to think otherwise.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheObserver

Wow that was obvious that was what you meant! How silly of me to think otherwise.

I thought you wanted to be a respectful intellectual and not engage in playground antics. At least that's what you scolded me for despite the fact you had no clue what was going on. And now that you do, you persist quite hypocritically. Any more thoughts about making this the most respectful board out there?

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Indeed, its dreadful when a topic that has a good prospect for discussion degenerates into stupidity like you are talking about s4g. Please let the mods for that forum know whats going on when that sort of thing starts happening, everyone should. Anyone that does so is doing ATS a great favour. Like icarus notes above, they almost stop posting because of a reluctance to get involved in a little flame war, that's really bad, we really don't want that to happen, but us in modom need help from the members to let us know whats up.

new topics

join