It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's called Global Warming, stupid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Can there be any questions left as to what is causing these Massive hurricanes? Will Rita become larger than cat. 5, and if so, then what is next? Is there anything that can be done about Global Warming or are we too late??

This winter is going to be one of the roughest ones in human history I believe.
1 Gas/oil prices, and the abillity to produce gas, with the possiblity of more refineries destroyed.
2 Bird Flu
3 Food/transportation costs
4 Possible societal breakdown, because of those metioned above

Why?

Global Warming, the whole Gulf is bath water warm, what will happen next week, how many more storms this hurricane season can we cope with?

If we see blizzards the size of these hurricanes, we are screwed

peace

[edit on 22-9-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Can there be any questions left as to what is causing these Massive hurricanes? Will Rita become larger than cat. 5, and if so, then what is next? Is there anything that can be done about Global Warming or are we too late??

This winter is going to be one of the roughest ones in human history I believe.
1 Gas/oil prices, and the abillity to produce gas, with the possiblity of more refineries destroyed.
2 Bird Flu
3 Food/transportation costs
4 Possible societal breakdown, because of those metioned above

Why?

Global Warming, the whole Gulf is bath water warm, what will happen next week, how many more storms this hurricane season can we cope with?

If we see blizzards the size of these hurricanes, we are screwed

peace

[edit on 22-9-2005 by intrepid]

I don't agree with ya. I think it's all being overblown. I believe the government will be stepping in some time in the near future on oil prices. There is no reason for oil to be so high. OPEC is having a field day with these disasters as an excuse to raise prices. Oil would have to be over $90 a barrel to support $3.00/gallon gasoline. Action will be taken soon. I believe that.

Don't be so negative. Sometimes good things come out of bad things. Try to smile!!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Oh Yes Dragon-By all means-Don't worry, our government will protect us. We should not question their means or motives, just trust in thier unwavering devotion to the welfare of us all! Rejoice!! Fear not, the Bush is with you-yeah right!

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What's the alternative? Ride bikes? Hmm...somehow I don't see me doing a 3 hour bike ride (each way) each day to get to work.... That'd be 6 hours total, but damn I'd be fit!
Perhaps we'll finally see more of a push to go to hybrids and electric cars. We've got the technology, we've had it for a while. Now we actually have the impetus for change.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I thought the Hurricanes were from a natural phenomenon. A cycle that happes every 60 years or so. Back in the thirties and forties they had a ton of hurricanes. Then we had a down time. In 1995 it was time for a new cycle. They are expecting this to last for another 10-15 years. And yeah it is bad but we still havn't had the most hurricanes in history. That number is 21.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There are some events in history that help the theory that it is a cycle. In the 1880's I am not sure about the Hurricanes but that winter they did have a Blizzard that was equal to a hurricane. Then in the 40's when there was a huge Blizzard that hit Minnesota that had a severe Low pressure similar to a Tropical storm. It was called Armistice Day Blizzard. That was during the time 1920-1940's when they had a severe cycle of Hurricanes. So if history holds true then It seems to me that From 1995 until 2015 we are in the cycle. And if history holds true we could get slammed from a hurricane like blizzard. Every 60 years it seems to me.

I am from Cleveland and from here to Buffalo we get pounded by snow and weather every winter that feels like a damn tropical blizzard. So bring on the snow. Just means more skiing and bigger snowmen.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I don't know why no one hasn't responded to my post. I wasn't trying to be a threadkiller. I am actually interested on what proof there is that Global Warming is causing more/strong Hurricanes. The way that I see it is IF Global Warming is happening and it is the cause then there is no way to really prove the theory because there is nothing in the past that we can compare or base things off of.

On the otherhand there is similar cycles of storms in the past that we can base things off of and take resonable conclusions. Maybe history shows that we have mini global warming scenerios every 60 years and big storms happen. I don't know. All the facts point to a normal cycle.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by Timcouchfanclub]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timcouchfanclub

I thought the Hurricanes were from a natural phenomenon.

Thats very true we had massive hurricanes before humans came down from the trees. We also had Ice Ages followed by global warming before humans even discovered Fire.

Earth's climate is not stable and it never was It gets hotter and colder throughout history.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
These earlier years seem to corrispon to incedents like the dust bowl years, when most of the mid-west was clear cut of trees. Perhaps there are Connecting manmade things making Natural disasters...oh yeah It's Called Global Warming.

Its only gonna get worse, and this Winter is gonna Suck for Many people in the Northern hemisphere IMHO

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
There is a suggestion - though by no means proof - that global warming may be leading to an increase in the number of CAT 4 and 5 storms. Though - interestingly - there has been a decline both in the number and duration of storms globally over the past decade.

www.sciencemag.org...

The current increase activity in the Atlantic is all part of a multi-decadal cycle (last active period being the 50s and 60s) and was fully expected.

Katrina and Rota reached CAT 5 simply because the surface water temperatures in the Gulf have been higher than usual lately, probably because of local weather patterns (Houston recorded a recod 100f last week)

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
In another thread I saw that Mars was warming.

Last I checked, people do not live on Mars.

I'd lke to see the enviro-whacko's explain that!

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

IT IS GEORGE BUSH AND HIS EVIL PLAN!!!!!! I can't believe the Mars Rover could emitt that many pollutants...must be an SUV. Is someone going to E-check the next one?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I found out this stuff from the EPA, most of it is about rising sea leveles but its a Good read:

yosemite.epa.gov...

Funny I keep reading articles about how human interaction in areas keep making problems worse E.G. Hurricane Katrina would not have been as bad if New Orleans still had a huge stretch of marshlands to ack as a buffer, such marchlands would have lessend the flooding and wind damage.

yet another site:

www.greenfacts.org...

Im not going to Argue the Facts about hurricane's running in cycles, Most things in Nature Do run in Cycles. However, is it possible that humans still play a role in the cycles
Many Enviromentally bad things have happened worldwide in the last 100 years...eg...WWI, WWII, Dust Bowl, IraqWarI...ect....ect. I feel its irresponcible to think humans arn't the Main Cause of Global Warming. Have you seen the increase in these, in the last 10 years?

www.nrdc.org...

www.ifrc.org...

www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org...

the writing is on the wall sort of speak:

www.irinnews.org...

peace

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If the problem is Man Made then Man can Fix it - JFK

That is all I have to say about global warming

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Timcouchfanclub]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

However, is it possible that humans still play a role in the cycles Many Enviromentally bad things have happened worldwide in the last

I guess it is possible that it could be an effect of Global Warming. But all the evidence really suggests it is the natural cycle. Yeah our earth is warming up but I do not believe at an alarming rate. One interesting comment I saw on this was that it could be we are still coming out of the ice age. That could make sense...An ice age cycle and once we come out of it the cycle starts again for a new ice age. I do not see a "Day After tomorrow" scenerio happening. Our climate falling off the deep end within a week.

I am not God so I am not necessarily right. It is just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

IT IS GEORGE BUSH AND HIS EVIL PLAN!!!!!! I can't believe the Mars Rover could emitt that many pollutants...must be an SUV. Is someone going to E-check the next one?

Everyone knows how much green house gases two solar powered rovers put out

Interesting that Mars is warming though more proof that warming and cooling of planets is a natural event that would happen if humans are burning fossil fuel or not.

I just hope this aint the start of our sun turning into a red giant that would be a few billion years ahead of schedule a doom all of us.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
While it's certainly true that our climate goes through cyclical changes - periods of warming and cooling - the data does show that the warming cycle that we are currently experiencing is way out of whack with the historical data. Yes, there have always been cycles but, this current cycle is spiked more rapidly and severely and, worst of all, far too soon (since the last one) to be considered normal.

I know folks will want the data on this. I'm trying to get it from the best synthesized source that I've ever seen - Al Gore's presentation on climate change. I had the immense pleasure of seeing Al Gore make this presentation to a group of about 60 (yes, sixty) people in July at the Sundance Summit. My wife was one of about 45 US Mayors invited to attend the summit. (Check it out at: www.sundancesummit.com... - my wife is the fourth one on this list)
If you're interested, check out the whole site - it was pretty impressive!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Mars is warming even though no humans live there. Now, the Greenland icecaps are thickening.

www.abc.net.au...

Not a good time to be a "Global Warming Theorist"!

Contradictions are sure to follow.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   

I thought the Hurricanes were from a natural phenomenon. A cycle that happes every 60 years or so. Back in the thirties and forties they had a ton of hurricanes. Then we had a down time. In 1995 it was time for a new cycle. They are expecting this to last for another 10-15 years. And yeah it is bad but we still havn't had the most hurricanes in history. That number is 21.

We just passed into new territory with the arrival of the 23rd named storm of the Atlantic season. This is unprecedented. The fact is that we are seeing more storms that are more powerful and which are having a severe effect. The insurance and reinsurance industries are reeling from the bill for the damage and the eeconomic effects will be felt for some time to come. What is more disturbing is some of the other storms that we've seen over the past year. Last year one formed in the South Atlantic. That has never been seen before - it's supposed to be too cool there. Last year we also saw one form in the Pacific close to the Equator, which briefly threatened Singapore. That's incredibly rare.
The news from the Arctic, where there are areas of Alaska and Siberia where the permafrost is melting, is just as worrying. Glaciers are in full retreat and weather patterns are changing. There are areas of the Anctarctic where the snow pack is increasingly in depth because it is now warm enough to snow in some places, while vast iceburgs are continuing to calf off the sea ice there.
People, the evidence for global warming is out there.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Im not argueing the Fact that planets warm then cool down, Im saying, and most of the scientific world is saying that the Current warming trend is manmade. And you think this year was bad for storms, just wait till next year and the year after. Global warming and climate change is not going away. We will see more and more storms Monster storms IMHO

More hurricanes than Ever this year. What do you suppose next year will be like??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join